Chat Tell Us Your Troubles Thread - advice & friendly chats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BloodyFingers, Oct 22, 2013.

1. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

I'm fine with people being better than me at some things, but what makes me the most depressed, in terms of my creative work, is that I have no talents. Nothing I ever do is really that decent enough. The fact is, it feels like every other artist in the world has more talent in their own fingernail, then I have put together.

2. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I can help you with this one. I do not really have any artistic talent. I wish I did. You have to find your niche or something that you are good at. For me I discovered writing.
    Art can be anything. Painting, spriting, writing, music making, making something amazing in a program/game. Really anything that takes work to make up something original is considered art. I have practiced making visual art to no avail (I even tried different styles). Writing is where I belong, and I am happy with it. Hope I helped!

3. DrChemistry

DrChemistry Subatomic Cosmonaut

While i do agree that Art does take a lot of talent it is more of a skill and trust me when i say that if you practice practice practice you WILL see results. These Artists you see weren't born with those skills. They practiced

Zurgh likes this.
  4. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

"Use what talents you possess, for the rainforest would be silent if no bird sang but the best."
    You only have to be good enough to make yourself happy. Keep trying! c:

Also, hey guys i dream of tidal waves a lot. Is there a reason for this? Does it mean something?

Lavranzo and Farathil like this.
  5. DrChemistry

It might mean that you have some emotions welling up inside that manifests itself in your dreams. Maybe there is something that you aren't confronting

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Oh, well i think i know what that is.
    ...Everything.
    I have dangerously low self confidence. :c

7. DrChemistry

You should try practicing in the mirror. If you have trouble with confidence then you probably have trouble keeping eye contact so practicing on the mirror may help you

Bonabopn likes this.
  8. Manderxan

Manderxan Void-Bound Voyager

This is how I feel aswell, yet everyone I meet says I'm really talented. I don't know if they're just being nice or if it's actually true. However, I don't feel particularly bad about it. I don't need to be super skilled to be happy.
    By the way, when it comes to art, like paintings, I tend to focus more on symbolism, messages and impressions rather than visual quality. It's not all about skill with the brush, so to speak.

- - -

So about my own problems... I've been diagnosed with Aspergers, though I think this is far from the whole story. I think there's plenty more things wrong with me, yet to be diagnosed. For example, I'm quite sure I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Almost all symptoms fit perfectly, yet doctors dismiss it without even looking further into it.
    I am depressed in waves, and I have pretty much come to a point where I don't care about being depressed anymore. I have given up, in a sense. In the same way I have given up on finding a mate. I'm 29, and still haven't had a girlfriend. (I havn't completely given up, I just don't bother actively searching anymore. About 15 years of failure just speaks for itself.) I have sort of given up on worrying, I guess. I don't know if that's good or bad.
    Going on, I have serious problems with motivation, as well as a small amount of Agoraphobia, I suppose. I have a really hard time doing important things like cooking, cleaning, showering, going to the store and require outside help with most of these things. Sometimes I even find it hard to just go and grab the mail from the mailbox, just outside my door. I often feel paranoid when I'm outside. These problems with motivation also extend to entertaining myself. I even have a hard time getting started with computer games that I actually feel like playing. There's something just stopping me from clicking that game executable.
    Further more, I have low self esteem. I'm a fat, hairy and ugly nerd, imo, and I'm afraid I'll never be content with my life. I went to university with Jeb before he joined Mojang, didn't really know him though. I'd be quite jealous of his success, but I just can't be bothered with such emotions anymore. I ofcourse, dropped out of university. And now I'm left with a big student loan and no job.

A bit off-topic, but my view on existence and the universe has probably been largely affected by my experiences in life. Yet I feel it's just logical thinking. I believe existence has no meaning. In fact, I don't understand how existence even exists. It would have been far more logical if there was just pure nothing. Life, intelligence and the progression of technology is pointless. It serves no purpose. I guess you could say: "Nothing makes sense, no matter how much your brain tells you otherwise."

I could go on, but this post is already getting out of hand. I have even gone back and erased some parts to make it smaller. Must have spent over an hour on this one post, and I still hesitate on posting it.
    It's not all bad though. I have a great family, and few but close friends. And dreams I still follow.

9. DrChemistry

So why not change? If you're upset with how you look then why not at least try to change for the better? I know that its hard because of the lack of motivation due to the depression but you can't get better unless you really really try

Farathil likes this.
  10. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

He has a point. I do not like how I look physically, so I do things that make myself feel better about it. I might wear a shirt that looks good on me, or bring a necklace I am proud of to school. I really don't care if anyone notices it, it's a plus sure, but I can look at myself in the mirror and think "damn I love this shirt" or something along those lines I feel a lil better. Because trust me I am fighting the urge to stop caring for my looks in total due to a massive break out I'm having, but I know if I do that it will just make it worse.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    DrChemistry likes this.
  11. DrChemistry

And I'll be waiting here for your giant wall of text

12. DrChemistry

At least thats good!

13. DrChemistry

I've been feeling really fucking shitty lately. I had the worst week. I went on my date on Thursday and it went great but this Monday she told me she plans on moving to San Francisco. Which hurt, a lot. Here's a girl that is so amazing and perfect for me and she wants to move away. I decided to be mature about it and enjoy what little time i have left. But i panicked on Tuesday when i saw her again and i asked what we were. I kinda ruined it now. Now i don't think we'll kiss or hold hands. Which SUCKS, how can i enjoy the time i have left without those things? It's such a downgrade. It's sucks when the universe gives you something to be hopeful for and then it kicks you in the nuts.

14. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

The encounter is much more important than the loss.
    Losing people is sad and painful. Yet I know now that, compared to that pain...
    Coming to know people and spending time with them is much, much more valuable...
    That those encounters are something precious and irreplaceable...

~Riki

Lavranzo and DrChemistry like this.
  15. Hmm not sure if this is a brand new thread or if it already existed before the "I have anxiety, AMA"... ANYWAY, subscribed.
    I'll lurk around before I decide to share any of my shit with you.

Farathil and DrChemistry like this.
  16. DrChemistry

I hope you do :) I'm always here to lend a helping hand.

(the "I have anxiety AMA" has nothin on this bitch)

Nimrod, Farathil and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

We all have relationship issues. The part that is your job is to keep your head up high. If fate/god/karma/luck did this to you there might be a reason. Maybe you weren't meant to be. I have been telling myself that since last month.

When a girl I had a crush on started dating my best friend. He didn't even tell me. He has been smug since then. I told her how I felt the day after I learned that (This is the only girl I have ever said anything to like that), she didn't reciprocate from what I could tell. She said she thinks of me more as a brother (she said the same thing about my best friend). Since then I kept my distance, as a test to see if they actually want to still keep a relationship.

Not a word... at all. I just have to believe I am better than following a girl around like a lost puppy, and fate/god will give me the relationship I strive for. Still hard though, no friends at school, got heart broken, I cried for the whole week after. I just know that my time will come, where I will find that one person who makes me truly happy.
    Dr.Chem, take life say "Fuck you" and curb stomp it and walk off with confidence.:cool: Because that's how you get far in life.

DrChemistry likes this.
  18. DrChemistry

This is by no means an attack on anyones beliefs. I respect whatever Deity and/or Omnipotent being anyone here believes and i have no intention of converting any of you but we as a society should stop telling ourselves that. Yes there are certain things in life that are beyond our control, Death for instance but it's so debilitating. We have the power to do so much in our lives god damnit if you feel that what you want you deserve than you should never lose hope no matter how much people tell you to!

19. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

It isn't about giving up though. It's about saying "ok this didn't work, let's try something else" that could mean to keep on trying on your current situation, or saying screw that whole idea I got bigger plans. There is a line where you try to hard though. I spend soooo.... much time worrying on things I have done or will do I do not focus on what I am doing at the moment. Just obsessing over different outcomes.

There is a time where you have to stop trying before you start causing yourself damage. For me I have to stop trying to be perfect. For you, you have differentiate on what you are doing is healthy or is it damaging yourself in some way. Until you start developing psychiatric problems or you stop eating from worry, then hell! go do what you wanna do to your hearts desire.

I stopped being friends with my best friend because I saw he was unhealthy for me. I stopped my critical thinking because it was unhealthy for me.
    What I said about fate/god was only saying whatever happens it might be happening for a reason.

DrChemistry likes this.
  20. DrChemistry

I have a tough time arguing that, bravo.

Farathil likes this.