Chat Tell Us Your Troubles Thread - advice & friendly chats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BloodyFingers, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Thanks. I really mean it. Tho I have pretty much gotten all I need except for time - it's been a couple of years, but getting over the almost unspeakable horror that is modern warfare - including war crimes, suicide bombers, child trafficking rings and indiscriminate mortar fire - takes quite a while.

BigEaredKittens likes this.
  2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

And this is why I wish life were like a tabletop RPG: at least there you can CHOOSE what you'll suck at.

Sure, you can train yourself to improve upon a weakness you have. But that is time not spent honing what you ARE good at. Because you may not learn any new abilities by doing nothing but you sure as shit can lose them that way.
    Lately I've had my english skills complimented. People often ask me where I learned english before coming to Vancouver. I tell them that I am mostly self-taught. While I may sound like an ass, that is the truth. Well, sort of.

I'm too embarrassed to say I have a lot of practice by talking to myself all the time... And the funny thing is, talking to myself in english became a habit. A Bad one, now that I'm in Canada. Because back in Brazil most people wouldn't understand my ramblings but here I run a very real risk of having someone eavesdrop on my very intimate conversations with myself.

HueHuey, MilkCalf and BigEaredKittens like this.
  3. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So much self-hate and stress in one place. Ahhh... That reminds me myself...

At first; You are not moron and 'asskicked', as you said, is every living being on this planet, in one way, or another.

Second; I'm sorry you can't reach the university. My mother is disappointed too, because I didn't pass the middle school. Does that mean I'm moron? Maybe in certain things, yes, but not in life. I'm sure you are perfect as you are now, even without university. Of course, someone can disagree with that, and I'll respect his or her opinion.

Third; Education system is broken, but teaching methods of some teacher are worse. I had one teacher, who's been a principal of the school in one person. His inappropriate jokes and mockery were truly disgusting, and same his teching methods. He learned several languages, he saw the world, he accomplished this and that. And still... He's been a bad person, politely said...

And fourth; If you think we (well, at least I don't, because I don't want to talk for others) are going to ignore your post, you are wrong. That's why this thread got his name.

4. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

So, my niece visited me for an hour or so today because she forgot her keys at home and had to wait until her parents were home. Since I had to do some work, I just gave her some ice cream and one of the coloring books I keep around in case the kids of the family visit. However, she's starting to ask questions. "What is wrong, uncle Surenu?" "What did you do between school and university?" She's really smart for her age. How do I explain that stuff to a child though?

5. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

I remember when my grandfather used to talk of what he did back in world war 2. Didn't do it very often, but when he did, it was when my mother was around. I remember his anecdotes being rather upsetting, and sometimes he'd cry about it, which was a bit discomforting. Can't really help it tho, I guess.

Perhaps it's up to oyur sister what you're able to shed light on with your niece?

Surenu likes this.
  6. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Well, she and the vast majority of my family like to pretend none of all that stuff ever happened in the first place. And I can see why in the face of the kids this might be the better decision, but when they actually ask things get difficult.

7. BigEaredKittens

perhaps you could tell thm when they're adults, if they're sstill interested? make decision o ntheir own or something. I dunno,..

with my stuff, i keep my motuh shut about things. i tried telling my mother once but she just said i'm whining and shoufd put it on backburner.

people'ree weird about things.

8. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

What o_O that was a pretty insensitive thing to say

9. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

i had an anxiety attack and abandoned my friend in Marvel Heroes. we encountered another player who was the same level and character as me, so my friend invited them to join us. but i was too scared to say anything, and eventually it got too much and i quit the game.
    my Social Anxiety Disorder is making life difficult :c

10. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Talk about the cool bits

11. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Ain't so easy. Children have a talent of asking the really wrong questions. And if you're around me even semi-regularly, there's a lot of wrong questions to ask because my behaviour can get weird to people not in the know - random flashbacks, random vomiting as a result of that, fear of things like piles of rubble on the roadside...

12. BigEaredKittens

yeeeaaahhhh... she's like that.

whenwe see someone that's parked on the side of the road and possibly in trouble, I'm the one that tends to want to go back and checkk if the person is okay. She couldn't care less, really, ad would preffer to drive ooff.

I get sick of talking aabout my self. how's you, eH?

13. BloodyFingers

I know this isn't easy but... I am in favor of not lying to them. That doesn't mean telling them everything. Just... tell them that you went to fight some bad guys for your country and that some very important people told you to keep it a secret.

MilkCalf and BigEaredKittens like this.
  14. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

The thing about fighting the bad guys she already knows. What she wants to know is why I act the way I act, and I guess that's really tough to explain to a child. You're not wrong tho.

I had a good day up until a couple of minutes ago and the damn flashbacks came again. It was just a very short one, but it was intense. I need a drink...

15. BloodyFingers

well, then.

[​IMG]

I wish I was having this one right there with you. :cathug:

MilkCalf and Surenu like this.
  16. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Thanks, man.

17. BloodyFingers

I'm sorry to hear it, Bon. I try to stay away from online games because they make me very nervous too. And frustrated sometimes.

MilkCalf likes this.
  18. BigEaredKittens

I'm sure you did yourr best. Drinking is only bottomless pit, i know it.

do self disservices with such things.

19. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I recently managed to cut my drinking back to... well, not healthy levels, but levels that will probaby allow me to see the age of fifty and function like a normal member of society. It helps that I've got a certain someone in my life, even though we don't get to talk all that often.

MilkCalf and BigEaredKittens like this.
  20. BigEaredKittens

aaaiiiii, do the encourage helahy habits? My family is infested with alcoholism, it ruined our fmaily structure, but lately, one of my cousins found himself a white woman who make sure to stop him from drinking so much. quite lovely to see peopl sober up and be happy about i.

low thing happen withen like that, very embarassing things.