1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Teleport Crash Causing File Corruption.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Mecharian, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

Whilst connected to our Multiplayer Server (Hosted by Bluefang Solutions) we've encountered a rather frustrating bug.

At the drop of a hat when we teleport from one location to another (Most commonly between Planet>Ship or Ship>Outpost) the server will "Crash" and reboot. (I use "Crash" loosely because we don't believe the server actually crashes. When we encounter this bug we're given a 'Client Connection No Longer Valid' notice.) Once rebooted one player (And this player could be any one of us playing at the time.) will log back onto the server (Or their own Singleplayer Save) and find their entire save file corrupted.

Almost everything associated with that save is lost, Excluding character/player inventory. Items stored here are "saved" however this is redundant because once the crash occurs quest progress is still intact but ship progress is reset and you're unable to use the teleporter to beam off your ship and potentially save anything off-world.

Thankfully, Being on a server we're somewhat lucky that we can save each others bookmarks and recover some progress as a group (But quite frankly we shouldn't have to.) however I feel for players out there who are playing singleplayer when this happens.

In terms of timescale we're often expecting this to happen once a day and we're unable to recreate the situation because as far as we've seen this could happen at any possible moment whenever someone chooses to teleport somewhere.

Our operating systems are all Windows (7, 8.1, 10), and I believe our server runs a windows OS as well.

We're currently using no mods, we're a "Vanilla" server.

Some users will use Full Screen, and some will use Windowed. (Full Screen)

And lastly I'm unable to attach error logs because as stated at the start the server doesn't actually "Crash" in a strict sense of the word.

Thanks