Technology Bans (And Tech Level Classifications!)

Discussion in 'Other' started by DJFlare84, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

So, hold on a sec. Take a deep breath, and hear me out.

I watch Ben 10. And I enjoy it.

Okay, now that aside... one of the things I really liked about the newer Ben-10 episodes (Alien Force and Ultimate Alien), was the idea that the planets housing sentient life all have different Tech-Levels, describing how far along the technological ladder they are. This is to prevent stuff like guns and teleporters getting introduced into a civilization too early, as to help them "make their own way" as it were. Honestly, I dunno why they did it, but that'd be as good a reason as any I suppose?

I think perhaps it'd be an interesting idea to allow the server's host to put a "ban" on technology past a certain level on specific worlds, in case they feel like keeping a world at primitive, medieval technology for the sake of roleplay or whatever (I know I might consider it!).

So maybe if you visit a world that has a tech level ban, you would not be permitted to enter unless you removed all equipment that was above the tech-level specifications (and of course, specialized stealth landing-pods could be used to enter and leave these worlds without disturbing the locals).

So, thoughts?

2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

It's an original idea, that's for certain. The problem I can see is that the "minimum" technology level will never be at a primitive-stage (I believe), you will always be using guns and such, so this could only work to keep a world at present-day technology levels, rather than, for instance, medieval worlds. Of course, if they do make a lot of gear so that you actually have primitive gear like medieval melee weapons, bows, crossbows, etc... this could be perfectly possible.

What I see as a good application, though, would be the possibility to apply technology bans on servers or game-modes. For instance if you want a pvp fight to use only low-tech gear, or you want an "überhardcore" server where you must manage with low/medium-tech gear. It's a nice option to have ^^