Modding Discussion Team Pioneer; the future of Starbound!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RamsiC, Dec 30, 2013.

1. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

Welcome Duck, add me on Steam!

2. Portalboat

Portalboat Aquatic Astronaut

Could I join, as well?

I'm afraid I don't anything to show, but I've worked a lot on game modding in the past, just never actually finished anything. I'd like to give this a shot, though.

RamsiC likes this.
  3. RamsiC

Add me on Steam!

4. turbeauke

turbeauke Aquatic Astronaut

This seems a bit ambitious on the first looks, but its a really good idea!
    Having acces to a bunch of people, for textures, animations, code or ideas is what big mods almost require.

I'd like to join, really would. :)

ahappydude likes this.
  5. Ruffz

Ruffz Void-Bound Voyager

Interested in joining..

RamsiC likes this.
  6. RamsiC

Anyone interested in joining please add me on Steam and I'll get to you after a short rest!

7. Raslin

Raslin Poptop Tamer

I think some people may be looking at this in the wrong light. I don't see any exclusivity or segregation here, but instead a place for people who want to help out others. Most other places seem to be helpful to others, but not in the sense of directly working together. I see this is a sort of valve type setting. People getting together, dynamically joining up with people for projects, without having formal teams or the like.

But I could be the one looking at it improperly, too.

8. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not really sure if I'd be right for this sort of thing, as I'm not technically a "creator" of any sort. I have been working heavily on packing mods together and getting them to work together properly. My goal lately has simply been just to take any mods I see that seem well thought out and interesting and pack them together in a simple .zip that the end user only needs to extract into their mods folder to get to work.

So far I have a pretty extensive pack made up of about 8 race mods, and several crafting mods, armor sets, weapon sets, weapon rebalances, and much more.

If anyone is interested in checking it out I will gladly provide a link to the most recent build. Who knows, you might find your mod is already in it! Since I haven't really been supplying this to the public, and kept it just to my close friends on our server I haven't really asked any of the mod creators if they mind, though if there is enough interest for this to be availiable, I'll likely make the rounds so people can be properly credited and what have you, though it is all pretty clear what mod is what if you just look at them when you extract the .zip.

Apart from that I have dabbled mostly in patching up code. I recently fixed up the Homesick mod that provides crafting recipes for decorative blocks that were previously only obtainable by breaking down existing structures, and made it compatible with not only other mods but the Angry Koala patch as well. I only recently provided this fix to the thread for that mod simply because nothing has been heard from its creator in quite a long time, and so many people were asking for it to be updated.

I've also worked on getting several race mods up to snuff while the creators were just starting to learn about the merge coding to get them to play nice together, patching them up long before they were done, simply out of my own impatience.

As I said, it's not like I actually make any content myself, at least not yet, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm of any use here. I figured I would at least say hi though and offer what little skill I have.

9. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ellu, Daniel here, nice of Ramsic to put a this togehether.

When terraria was a bgt bigger(its still great in its way) There were sinmulair thread where people could sign up, or request help etc. I think its a great thing to kmake modmaking. We all know its early on starbound but every vartion is good to have and will prolong the replay value =)make it easier for us to stay in contact if we want to colliberate :)

Im myself is mostly coder, and a bit artmaker, challenges are fun and currently im making some addons for Kals new horizions mod. Like more monster behavior, trying to add in patrols for the npcs, looking over planet gen and biomes, and some research options, I like games to be hard, and big fan of rouqelike genre so i want to make some suprises that will throw the players of ;)

10. Ragnore

Ragnore Poptop Tamer

I'm definitely interested. Being a part of the community and the growth of such a kick ass game seems like fun.

ahappydude likes this.
  11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Sure, I'll join. I'm a game design student so the extra programming will help. I'm moderate with art but, if i do say so myself, am rather good at planning, balancing, and fleshing out mods. Give me a word of what you want in game and I'll have it planned out and roughly balanced post haste.

RamsiC likes this.
  12. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There are 162 people in the IRC channel right now. It's a great place to hang out, and if you use a decent client you can log everything so you can read it later. We use the Starbounder.org wiki Modding section to keep a lot of our notes.

metadept, Pseudoboss and ahappydude like this.
  13. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good tip supergeek (y)

14. Ph33rSnipa

Ph33rSnipa Void-Bound Voyager

This idea really interests me, so I might as well join as well. :p
    Unfortunately, I don't have anything to show off just yet, (other than my avatar maybe x) ), but I'm average in pretty much everything involved in Starbound modding, that being Lua, C++, pixel art, etc...
    I've already modded quite a few items, though I'd love to have a chance to sharpen my coding skills (I'm kinda rusty in these two), as well as have projects to work on with other fellow modders! ;)

15. RamsiC

16. JonnyxTG

JonnyxTG Tentacle Wrangler

I would like to join.I know very basic code,but im a good spriter.I dont have anything to offer in terms of proof since Im just learning how to sprite Starbound.

ahappydude and RamsiC like this.
  17. Carty1234

Carty1234 Zero Gravity Genie

Can I ask for some clarification on what this Team Pioneer "community" is?
    On first readings I was under the assumption that the team would be making a large project together, but it appears that all it is is just a place people come to ask for help; and if that is the case then I will probably not spend too long here as I prefer the IRC for its help. The IRC is great as it is live and full of some if the best modders (and devs) and you can get a response in a minute.
    If it is like the IRC then that I another reason for me to not stay as I don't have that much that I could offer in terms of help.
    I shall stay here regardless as I see no harm in that, but I probably won't contribute too much (much like everyone else I have school work that takes priority).
    Thanks.

18. RamsiC

Hmm, trying to think of a new way to explain it....

Think of Pioneer as it's name sounds. In Starbound when everyone first hops into a new planet someone gets put in charge of doing different things. One person may farm, one may mine, some may build, you may get a lumberjack, etc. Pioneer is pretty much the idea of, say the Lumberjack needs help, he can ask for it or ask if anyone wants to help him chop down the tree. The farmer stands to learn a thing or two about chopping trees and may go spend some time with the Lumberjack to learn his trade while maybe helping him chop the tree too.

IRC is great for questions and answers and is a wonderful resource for darn near everything in game and now that I know it's as bustling as it is I plan on spending plenty of time on it as well as advertise it when I can! The Team Pioneer project is a more social and hands on version of the Teamspeak I suppose one might say! Is it for everyone? Nah, but is it something plenty of people will have fun with and better themselves through; I hope so!

19. MassDivide

MassDivide Space Hobo

Hi there. :p

ObeliskGaming - Shut up and take our money! :)

Skizot and RamsiC like this.
  20. MarchWorm

MarchWorm Void-Bound Voyager

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Am already on the team but whatevs! :laugh:

RamsiC likes this.