Modding Discussion Tardis Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Discount Wizard, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Discount Wizard

Discount Wizard Void-Bound Voyager

This is a new ship for StarBound. The Tardis is from Doctor Who, I do not own the Tardis. I only recreated it.
    This mod took me about 4 days of non-stop work to complete. I've done my best to make this mod as accurate as possible.
    Rooms include:
    -Console Room
    [​IMG]
    -Several Hallways
    [​IMG]
    -Library
    [​IMG]
    -That machine from "Journey to the center of the Tardis" that builds things
    [​IMG]
    -Storage room
    [​IMG]

-Bed room
    [​IMG]
    To install: Right click StarBound in your Steam library and then click Properties, Then Local files, Then Browse Local files. It will open up a folder. You will see multiple folders including a folder named assets. open that folder and go into the ships folder. Put the "dropshipblocks.png" and "shipship.png" into the race's folder whose ship you want to change into the Tardis

So pretty much the same way you do for every other ship mod.

Download: Its in the Attached files...

I've worked very hard on this and I plan to update it further. I also MAY make more Tardis mods. I've also looked into animating the tardis but i'm having some trouble so please don't rush me. I will NOT do an exterior, It just wouldn't work. If they make it so when you land you saw the outside but not the inside then maybe I could do it, but don't get your hopes up.

Please do not re-upload with out my permission.

Attached Files:

2. UnseenPrecision

UnseenPrecision All Chuck Norris backward gets you is Sirron Kcuhc

Wow, I don't watch Dr who but that look really cool, nice work

3. demeggy

demeggy Void-Bound Voyager

You win in awesomeness :) Check sTARDISbound Thread for ref to the Police Box teleport vehicle Im working on. Could team up of you're looking to expand on this?

4. Discount Wizard

Thank you UnseenPrecision.

And Thank you Demeggy, I may decide to team up. but i'm going on holidays in a couple days so if I do team up it will be after the holiday. Thanks again for the encouragement. :)
    *A short while later*
    I have decided I would like to team up with you, perhaps we could make a mod together using your idea. I am mostly a Texture artist, though I do know how to code in HTML and I learned a little bit of python, Java is next! I will make some Textures. over the holiday and brainstorm some idea's for this mod. just tell me what to do and ill do it when i can get to it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. JumpingCactus

JumpingCactus Lucky Number 13

Now all we need is The Doctor mod. Includes timelord race, which comes with tardis as ship. And clothes. And daleks and cybermen and stuff!

6. JumpingCactus

Um, when I installed it on a (preexisting) character, it get's places all weird and I can't get to anything.

7. Lissar

Lissar Space Spelunker

That's really neat! I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a Tardis you could use to instantly teleport to other planets.

8. Discount Wizard

You have to start a new character for it to work, or in the code change the name of the file its looking for, as well as the file its self.

newtype06 likes this.
  9. JumpingCactus

How do I go about doing that?

10. Phlosioneer

Phlosioneer Pangalactic Porcupine

Unless you're really comfortable with reverse-engineering a mixed-binary-and-text file, you're just going to have to make a new character. The player files are still not completely mapped yet, so we don't know what everything does. And they aren't stored in human-readable format, though you can make out some strings.

11. demeggy

demeggy Void-Bound Voyager

Glad to hear it :) I'm a Project Manager by career so I'd like to think/hope I'm a fairly organised chap. Agreed on the holidays front; will get in touch with you over the weekend and we'll swap contact details!

12. Discount Wizard

Looking forward to it. :)

newtype06 likes this.
  13. newtype06

newtype06 Void-Bound Voyager

Brilliant job! Now all we need is a TARDIS exterior to set on the planet that you want to visit rather than just orbiting. This way you'll get that "bigger on the inside" feeling. I'd think it'd work like a teleport pad, only planetside with maybe a door animation of opening, and shutting behind you instead of the standard "Beam up" animation. I'd imagine when it cracks open the player will get a small glimpse of the inside (in pixel art of course).

I know you said no exterior, but using the teleport pad as a base would probably work from a modders standpoint, as the end result is the same. I'd imagine it'd work planetside as it does inside the ship. I'd be happy to lend what little expertise I have to help. I'm quite the tinkerer.

14. Discount Wizard

I know I said "No exterior", but that was when I was working alone. I'm working with Demeggy to hopefully create the mod you where talking about, by the way you have some good idea's. I hope we can use them. We should start work on this mod soon.

Mystiana and newtype06 like this.
  15. newtype06

newtype06 Void-Bound Voyager

We're lucky to have a mod maker like yourself :D
    This is definitely going to be the one mod I will ALWAYS have installed.

16. Discount Wizard

Thank you, That means allot to me.

17. mrwhiteout

mrwhiteout Space Hobo

Looking forward to it more than anything right now.

18. LastMoun

LastMoun Intergalactic Tourist

Oh, you want to make the TARDIS in Starbound, it's a very good idea !

I have some questions about it :
    -Will be the TARDIS sounds and lights effects when dematerialising/materialising somewhere (I think it's the most important thing of the mod, no FX = a simple English Police Box) ?
    -Can it replace the ship where we start ? Because, if we have a TARDIS to go everywhere in space and on the planet, why will we go back to the spaceship ? It will become useless.

19. Discount Wizard

Good questions!

Yes, There will be sound and dematerialisation/materialisation effects.

It will most likely replace the starting ship of the players choice.

I hope more people will ask questions or suggest ideas for the mod, Thank you all for your support!

And here is your reward!

[​IMG]

Don't worry, the actual image is much higher quality. Next, i'm going to make this Tardis Dissappear/dematerialise!
    I made this on holidays, I think I did a pretty good job without a mouse.

bayley likes this.
  20. portal2lbp2

portal2lbp2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I absolutely love the mod! Amazing job!! And also side note: the thing that builds stuff is called the ARS ;) (architectural reconfiguration system) it's vispoch engineering, it rearranges atoms into a machines xD