1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkin' bout' the ye' olde' Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ignas7899, Sep 1, 2016.

?

Do you want the old versions to be available to public?

1. Yes!

69.2%
  2. No!

30.8%
  1. Ignas7899

Ignas7899 Orbital Explorer

Yep, I miss it, for some reason, it was wayy easier to do, but it was REALLY fun, give us atleast some ways to get back to angry koala (I never played it) or Glad Girrafe. I have some good things saved down there, it's up to ChuckleFish to do this.

dekar_serverbot and Pingeh like this.
  2. HarmonicRev

HarmonicRev Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally wouldn't use it but I can understand why you would want that.

If there are features you miss; I know a lot of legacy content mods are out there. The one I'm waiting on is a mod that re-implements the removed dungeons.

Ignas7899 and dekar_serverbot like this.
  3. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I think Chucklefish should make the old versions available, if for no other reason than to shut up the people that keep demanding a refund because the current build isn't exactly what they want.

4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

I did an "honorable" thing and pirated an old version from some torrent. Then I realised my char & base are pretty crap and only thing worthwhile about them is wealth I assembled during Glad Giraffe, deleted it along with old version and reinstalled new one.

Ignas7899 likes this.
  5. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

No.
    I love old versions (2k hrs /played there) and I don't like 1.0
    But old versions can't be called "beta" anymore, and if CF will let ppl get more than 1 version they must support them all.
    I think it is very bad idea.
    Let them work for new content, new features etc.

6. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It could work like how Minecraft handles it: The launcher can be used to select and play older versions, but they aren't supported.

Ignas7899 likes this.
  7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

In the way I see it, it is up to the player to have had to back up those prior versions if they wanted to keep them. I mean it was noted "things will change" throughout the process of early access, and not to mention what early access is pretty much about. It was out there when such major changes were to happen.

On that note I don't think it is the devs responsibility to release such to the public. They were aiming to complete an engine that they could work off of with at least an acceptable amount of content. Acceptable to them that is, not in the eyes of all. After all, not everyone can be satisfied with one single thing; otherwise the world would be full of clones of each other that think alike and do the same things.

Yes I have backups of said versions, and quite possibly backups of several iterations. I just happen to be one that does things just in case, and was raised with this caution. If I want to play them I can, I did my part in making sure that is a possibility; my own responsibility to ensure I at least have the option. This is all besides the point of the very question, however I felt it was prudent... maybe that is not the word I am looking for, but close; maybe urgent...no, something like that. Just to point out it is not their prerogative to perform such a task. They did it the way they have intended. And now the engine is finished; for the most part. I mean they are fixing bugs still, but no major changes are needed to the very engine itself.

Sure it would be nice if they did something along the lines of minecraft in the way they did it, but remember that company has been doing it that way since the very beginning... Mostly. They had it in mind throughout the process, or so it appears anyway. CF probably didn't have that in mind throughout the process, and left it up to the fans, and people that play to make a decision to back things up on their own; however they did make changes to ensure their are recovery methods for the characters to some degree. Even minecraft has a cut-off point how far back you can go, and those versions are only obtainable by other means.

So for me I will not say yes or no to the question, as I already have the old versions if I want to play. However if they do decide to it would not affect me at all; however I don't really see them doing it anytime in the near future, as their focus seems to be on working with what they have right now.

Note: I like all iterations that I have backed up since I initially bought the early access of the game. Each has their pros and cons, and I like them equally for what they are.
    Now would I go back to play the Koala version? probably not, as I personally am satisfied with how the engine of the game turned out. It is versatile, and more so than the early stages. Especially with the modding portion of it. As to the content, it is roughly about the same in its' current state; which they will be expanding in the future. If not, then when I feel the urge; I can just use mods. I like the base game for what it is, and can enjoy it on that simple fact for myself. i do agree it seems like more content is needed in quite a few areas, which is my faith saying they will touch on them now that the engine doesn't need any major changes. At least the engine isn't as buggy as it was before. At least in my experience....:nuruhappy:

Ignas7899 and Will Liferider like this.
  8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Koala may have had smaller asteroid fields, but it also had the birds.

overall that's probably the only version i would consder, and maybe some of the really messed up nightly planet types.

But it not so much that I miss the version but that I miss individual things from it. 1.0 still has the bigger package overall, and colonies making a point to my building. :)

9. Ignas7899

Oh wow! I did not expect to get so much replies!

10. Ignas7899

I hope Starbound makers notice this.

11. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What planet types? I'm aware of the Heck and Tentacle biomes, but were there any more?

12. Ignas7899

Hmm, there were some different boimes, maybe less planets? I forgot, really, since I was pumped to test the new Starbound, but... Well, lets say I got bored of it quickly, and I had to get mods to make it interesting again. Hm, I should get more!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well, the grass was greener back then. (literally).

and sometimes even purple.

Ignas7899 and Pingeh like this.