Digital [TAKING ANY AND ALL REQUESTS!] Various Starbound illustrations

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jareix Cryvix, Apr 3, 2015.

?

What do you think? (from a critical standpoint. not whether or not you like the themes.)

1. great (Very good! keep it up.)

51.0%
  2. good (not bad... still needs work)

35.3%
  3. mediocre (its not horrible. just... not good...)

7.8%
  4. bad (wow... you really need to work on it)

5.9%
  5. terrible (sorry (or not) to burst your bubble, but you have no chance of becoming an animator)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Hello! I've decided that I wanted to share some of my creations with the community for criticism and feedback. Just know that i am not a professional and have a LOT to learn, hence why i am encouraging constructive criticism, both positive and negative. well... here goes nothing. enjoy! (or don't... I'm not one to decide your opinions) BRING IT ON CRITICS I CAN (probably) TAKE YOUR JUDGEMET!
    NOTE: I'm too lazy to update this top post. All of the later and greater stuff is down below in the comments. Plus, embed limit or something.
    Pixel arts (Character references):
    image.jpg
    A alligator blacksmith image.jpg
    A sapient gator image.jpg
    A tinker lizard image.jpg
    A lizard
    image.jpg
    A lizard in heavy armor
    image.jpg
    A pirate lizard image.jpg
    Another bloody lizard... (Anybody notice a running theme?)

Pixel art (complete images):

image.jpg
    Me. On an airship
    image.jpg
    A space duel on a Sallokian(lizard) space-airship (SPAAAAACE!)
    image.jpg
    Don't question why there are Hylotl in a desert, 'cause I don't know myself. (And yeah, I did rip this off of the "penguin bay" merchant. Please don't sue me...)

Traditional art (sorry about the image quality. my scanner is busted, so I had to use my phone.):

image.jpg
    My character again.
    image.jpg
    A quick sketch of the starbounder "Nibolas" (Nibolas, if you are seeing this I am so sorry I butchered your character... :( )
    image.jpg
    Another heavy Sallok. (With "battle-spades"!)
    image.jpg
    Some characters based off of my friends named "Dewleaf" and "Paul". (This is what happens when I try to draw a human... :/)
    image.jpg
    Something I doodled two years back because Alg1 class that day was boring as watching beige paint dry.
    image.jpg
    This is what would happen last year whenever I finished my geometry work with twenty minutes to spare. I reminisce and revisit. (I only realize now just how much it resembles a featherless avali...)
    image.jpg
    A "wing-neck"(frilled lizard) Sallokian politician. (With convenient claw needles that are perfect for backstabbing somebody.)
    image.jpg
    Dewleaf the warrior. (And yes, that's a skull.)
    image.jpg Its a novakid okay?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Personally, I like this guy better.
    image.jpg
    Who's the better shot!
    image.jpg
    This is what happens if I get bored in biology...

Digital arts (I'm new to this, so I have quite a bit to learn. I don't have a working WACOM or similar, so I'm just taking pictures with my phone and editing them on photoshop)

image.jpg
    Me AGAIN! This time in color! (And I know the foot's wonky, I don't know how but the bottom of the image got corrupted or something. Not cropped though)
    Dewleaf and Paul.png
    Dewleaf and Paul. IN COLOR! first time doing cell shading, let me know if I've got it or am just figuratively face-planting...
    Nibolas.png
    Nibolas in color. once again, i would like to apologize if i screwed up your character...
    Sallokian politician [frilled lizard](flatcolor).png
    its that wing-neck again. flat colored with no shading yet. decided to change the face a bit and see how that would look.

Things I need to work on and practice:

• Contour lines: I currently have and AWFUL contour line that I never do in single strokes.
    • Shading: 'nuff said.
    • Coloring: I have no talent for using marker and crayons and really hate how permanent anything used to color is.
    • Proportion: it definitely needs a lot work, all I can really do is form a habit of doing proportions properly.
    • Depth: I'm really bad at translating facial depth to paper, so no head-on head shots of anything with extruded features.
    • Animation: I have no idea how good I really am. All I have is photoshop, which isn't BAD at making GIF images, just not great.
    • General skill: I just need to practice until I can actually get it right. I have artistic blood from both sides of the family, I should really focus on getting better. (I'm still not sure whether or not I have a chance at animating

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. oraserat

oraserat Cosmic Narwhal

These are pretty awesome! I would love to see some more traditional artwork from you. :mwahaha::party::kitten2:

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. Jareix Cryvix

Thanks! I enjoy doing traditional art. Plus, I can do it whenever and fairly quickly so I'll probably end up updating this page just about every day. I already have a few more non-starbound traditional art in my off topic art thread. Occasionally with a digital art. Again, thanks for the compliment, though I would like to know where I goof up... I can't afford lessons, (except from my mother but she is heavily biased and is too nice to correct) so feedback and critique are the only ways I can learn. (other than practicing of course)

4. oraserat

oraserat Cosmic Narwhal

:party::mwahaha::mwahaha:Great to hear

5. Jareix Cryvix

As I said, I will be updating often. :3 there are now two sketches I felt like uploading now and a brand new one I did to satisfy my "art lust". Might end up posting yet another. (If my sister would STOP HOGGING MY COMPUTER! :urgh:)

6. Asotil

Asotil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I almost mistook you for a friend of mine I know as Jax. Either way, your arts are really nice and I look forward to more.

7. Jareix Cryvix

Hey... Quick WIP sketch I sorta doodled during 4th period today and ended up developing on. I wondered how super serious warrior Dewleaf would turn out...
    Let me know what you think and what it needs. (And yeah... The limbs look really wonky... Also, I just can't get those shoulder, hip, and shin guards right.) image.jpg
    Edit: fixed some stuff and went over it in pen. Kinda looks like a ninja. :D will color when I get the chance.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. Asotil

Asotil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He looks about ready to break out into a very inspired "2 B, or not 2 B"

9. Jareix Cryvix

But 'tis not the question. While he is a lover of literature, (as will be revealed in the story I'm writing, which you can check out under fan fiction. Only got chapters 0 and 1 finished though. ) one does not know what the question is. Only that the answer is forty-two. ;)

10. Jareix Cryvix

I decided to maybe try drawing a full scene rather than a character. (Once i finish coloring the warrior Dewleaf one. ) anybody care to guess where this scene will take place? image.jpg

General Nuclear likes this.
  11. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

This crystal(?) reminds me of those things on the end of the blasters that some Avians use, besides that, no idea. :rofl:

12. Jareix Cryvix

Try running a pink tint over it... It may look familiar. ;)

13. Jareix Cryvix

This is what happens when I try something new... In this case a hylotl. image.jpg
    I end up creating an abominable soulless monster... :/

General Nuclear and oraserat like this.
  14. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Well, still better them my Abomination, so, GOOD JOB! :DD

15. Jareix Cryvix

I'm not dead yet! I haven't posted in a while and decided to draw a novakid! image.jpg I can't... I just... Nope... I don't even... No... N. O. No!

(Also, I would trade my kingdom for one bloody protractor!)

rhomboid and General Nuclear like this.
  16. Heriol

Heriol Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome man! Loved the idea of an Alligator race!

17. Purple shawl

Purple shawl Tentacle Wrangler

Its not a bad style, your anatomy isnt off, people often make anatomical mistakes when drawing. I kindof like how its a bit smokey greyish, keep it up.

18. Jareix Cryvix

Well... You all know the saying. If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.
    if at first you fail; die die die die die die die die die die die due die again and again and again until you beat them with a million butt-pokes in a row...)

image.jpg image.jpg
    (It's supposed to read "skychester model '96) image.jpg image.jpg
    I've always really liked the clockwork armor set.[DOUBLEPOST=1430411539][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That just made my day! Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Arra, zBound, rhomboid and 2 others like this.
  19. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Is it going to be like in those old Western movies? Let's see who does the first shot. ;)

20. Jareix Cryvix

image.jpg
    They fired at the same time?! Well... Let's see who was the better shot!

zBound, The Squid, rhomboid and 3 others like this.