1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tabletop RPG] SRPG - Starbound Roleplaying Game (Unofficial)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neapher, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neapher

Neapher Phantasmal Quasar

Now that the Beta has made it's way out of the works and into our hearts, I'm following through on a project I promised you all.

Currently Paused while I work on the Hackers Kickstarter!

The Starbound Role-playing Game!

Based loosely on the Star Wars RPG mechanics, the Starbound RPG (or SRPG) is going to contain all the fun of Starbound, except without the bugs!

The SRPG Collection, When finished; will include the following:

A Player's Handbook - The basic tool for the game. This is all you really need to get playing as it provides information on gameplay mechanics, and will even contain vital information on character creation, planets, races, weapons, crafting systems, NPC's, combat, and more! Every adventurer's guide to the stars!

The Solari's Handbook - The Solari (also known as the Game Master) Needs to have a few tricks up their sleeves to make the game more enjoyable and exciting. This guide will provide every trick there is to learn. From running smooth combat to creating unique NPC's; from creating mental artworks to weaving intricate webs of story, The Solari's Handbook has it all!

And further supplements may be created as needed.

It's much too soon to give out release dates for either guide, but I will keep up with progress reports whenever I can put one out. Until then, enjoy the worlds Chucklefish have created for you!

Current Progress (8%)
    Player's Handbook - In Progress.
    Introduction 98% - There is now an introduction and basic "How to use this book" guide. the HTUTB can't be finished until the rest is finished, so this is stuck at an annoying 98%.
    Ability Scores 1% - Alright, alright! I'll redo abilities and classes! Give me some time to decide the new system. :rainbow:
    Races 45% - I've got to rework this to fit the previous changes. It's not a ton, but it might take longer than it looks.
    Classes(To be renamed) 0%
    Solari's Handbook - Not Started.

If you spot anything unusual or conflicting anywhere in the works, please notify me and I will fix it asap.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Interested, adding to my watched thread list.

3. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you almost beat me to it, but you beat me to posting it, il read it a little later and give feedback though, il compare notes and adopt anything you did better into mine.

4. Neapher

Heheh. We're probably going to collaborate plenty here.

I like to post and announce things way before they are finished. I wish I could remember where I've heard that before.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  5. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i started with classes, what classes do you have ideas for, i have
    technomancers - if its a computer they can generally hack it as well as get a small robot army going, ash is playing as one of these. she has 2 robotic arms and Mega-man style blasters and weapons in them, shes liking it so far

vanguard - (going to rename them) thees are heavily armored and heavily melee oriented, kinda the barbarians of the future, they get a rage that instead of giving them strength bonuses, makes them capable of tight maneuvers even in heavy armor, this bonus only gets better with power armors, makes them pretty hard to kill

dualist - usually light armor and a set of matching pistols are the choice load-out for this class, rate of fire and accuracy are the most important qualities they seek, this class is common among bounty hunters and ironically some criminals, rarely will this class ever need to use anything other than the light weapons that they specialize in, learning to modify their blasters to deal with a wide variety of situations

cannoneer - this class is heavy weapons oriented, usually dressed in tattered and smudged cloaks and hoisting a huge cannon, this class is the sniper, seen in military circles as well as a few bounty hunters, they may specialize in heavy rifles but they are also keen with a light melee weapon, usually a knife or short sword, for this class patience, stealth and good aim are the best combination, although they have occasionally been known to shoot a target at point blank when left with no other options, most often this results in the aggressor being mopped off the ceiling.

pilot - (renaming) this class depending on the race they are, pilot a wide assortment of mech, cruiser, ships, shuttles and machines, anything from a motorcycle to a rancor, if you can steer it or control it then this is the class to handle it, they are skilled craftsmen and can alter, craft or improve just about any equipment or repair nearly any ship, this class makes up the smuggler populace, mainly out of necessity, if your ship isn't in good enough condition to either stealthily zip by or outrun the authorities, then you wont be a smuggler for long. adventurers are more likely to build smaller vehicles like power armor when forced out of whatever gunship they fly around in

more on the way, including a rogue/spy type class and maybe a sort of beast master/ druid type, i'm still thinking on other classes and i'm open to suggestions

6. CarrionCrawler

CarrionCrawler Space Penguin Leader

Table-top RPGs are the motherfucking best. I wish you 2.74 metric tons of luck.
    This would be especially grand because Starbound oozes personality, and having the freedom of a traditional RPG in a Starbound setting would be ecstasy.

Serenity and jintoya like this.
  7. Neapher

Classes are going to be somewhat open, as in the game there is really no limit to your skills. It will be somewhat like a World of Warcraft/Classic D&D system where each race has certain available classes, and each class somewhat blends with another.

A pilot class is tempting, but Piloting is really a skill and not a class. You can build all your skill around piloting, operating turrets, repairing, building astromechs and such, but a class is more of a Combat skillset. Being able to fly a ship is not a combat skill, despite what the ship is used for. Piloting will be split between different types of transport, from Mechs and Land vehicles, to spaceships and space stations. Yes, some classes will have advantageous reasons for building pilot related skills, but piloting will not be a class.

As far as what are actually planned, I'm not going to give any names or descriptions quite yet, but there will be approximately 9 classes, split into a Brawler/Ranged-Tech/Rouge Style.

8. Robo Hobo

Robo Hobo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Watch'd.
    Yep.

9. CarrionCrawler

CarrionCrawler Space Penguin Leader

I'm more used to systems like GURPS and Shadowrun. They were free-form in what your character could do; you had character points, and skills, stats, and advantages to buy with them, and points to buy back with disadvantages.
    There were no classes, just a bunch of skills, and you could spec in any of them, being a jack of all trades or a master of some.

I found it a very fluid system which I much enjoyed. This is your system, in the end, but the idea of picking a class and being even somewhat restricted by it worries me greatly.

10. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Roll20 plz. Also a free form system in the spirit of starbound would in my opinion be better then having "classes".

11. Neapher

I've never used GURPS or Shadowrun systems, but I have played Call of Cuthulu, which I belive works in a very open manner. I do appreciate your imput, and will take it into consideration..

I haven't begun work on classes or skills in any way, so I could create a similar, or at least more open system. After all, Starbound doesn't restrict you, so why should the RPG?

Noted.

Serenity likes this.
  12. Adallamus

Adallamus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm actually about to run a modified 3.5e with starbound as the setting. I've got racial differences all sorted out, and it's feeling a lot like a big split because of all the modified rules. I've decided that Xcom's (original xcom) rules of combat work wonderfully with the way combat is set up, and I'm starting to see why developers made melee weapons so much more powerful than ranged weapons. If you'd like my notes after I run the first few sessions, I can give them to you.

Word of advice from a seasoned DM - D20 systems work best for games with a lot of loot to grab. Starbound practically revolves around random loot.

13. Neapher

From what I have designed, this isn't looking like it will be the case.

14. HappySailor

HappySailor Subatomic Cosmonaut

An avid worker on of tabletop RPG's and modules, I would love to help with balance and stuff, I have a few too many projects on my plate to commit to writing anything though and it seems like you have a handle on your vision so I won't try to commandeer anything(which I would likely do if i started writing for this.)

But I offer my help to read and balance anything, as well as participate in any kind of "pre-release" version, I have a group who likes starbound and is no stranger to one offing unreleased game types.
    Once the rules and stuff are more complete, I should be more available, so I will gladly write adventures and modules and supplements if you want the help.
    PM me if you want my email or skype or something, I'll gladly lend an ear to this project when available.

15. Neapher

I'm sorry there isn't much progress coming through right now, but LegendZero has just launched it's H4Ck3Rs Trading Card Game Kickstarter and I'm very busy trying to get assets for the digital version done so we can have a working demo by the end of the month.

I'll do my best to get what I can done so I can get back to focusing on starbound projects, but this needs to be done first. {unfortunately :< }
    You can expect regular reports to resume at the end of the kickstarter, provided it's funded.

If you're interested in the project, here's a link.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendzero/h4ck3rs-trading-card-game

16. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Oh my god, MORE THINGS TO GM FOR THE HOMESTUCK CLAN!
    I LOVE THIS!

Neapher likes this.
  17. Neapher

I'm glad you're uhh... so excited for it. :DD
    I actually managed to hype myself up and started a new campaign with my usually quiet RPG group recently.

18. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Oh?
    I'm running D&D, D20 Modern, Gamma World, Gamma World Homestuck Ed, Shadowrun, Rogue Trader, and of course, the Eternity Rangers GURPS campaign

19. Neapher

I've done.... Like 3 of those.
    Okay one.

My own portfolio contains: 2e D&D, Call of Cuthulu, Starwars RPG, and a(n extremely lazy) custom game called Mech World.
    If I weren't so busy with hackers, and school, I might be running more than one, but I play a few at a time.

20. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

No, I'm running them right now
    Together

And I have run those, but not Mech World, since duh reasons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.