1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

2. Aeladya

Aeladya Star Wrangler

I’m actually somewhat glad to hear Sashimi isn’t the problem as I make it for Sebastian for his weekly gifts.

Typhoon likes this.
    • AudibleR

AudibleR Void-Bound Voyager

I am also having this error. I have the pickaxe upgraded to copper and am on the 2nd day of winter. When go to upgrade my watering can, then go to bed, the game crashes. I can play without upgrading, but I'd rather not as they are extremely helpful. Thank you!

Typhoon likes this.
      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Another gamer with the bug:

"Sleeping bug got worse for me, spring day 3, year 2. I finally decided on getting some farm animals, so I bought some cows and did some farming. A very light day since I planted my full crop the day before. Game crashed when sleeping. At first I thought it was because I renamed the cows, so I bought the cows but then decided to randomize the names because some of them are just gibberish, game crashed. After a few experiments of not reorganizing the sprinklers, and naming the cows, or even buying more than 2 I just didn't buy any. On this day I decided to finally finish the craft room for spring forage. No cows bought, fixed sprinklers, and viola I got the cut scene of the little ghosts building the bridge.

On to next day, I decided to do some light mining and wanted to catch some fish on level 70 (not sure if you could, all I did was catch garbage) So I ventured across the bridge and mined a bit. Went home to sleep and game crashed. So after about 10 crashes here I am at 6:49 writing this no one will probably read.

I tried the no inventory thing when trying to buy cows but after the following day I just turned it off after frustration."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do7n2v7/

• BaconBitties

BaconBitties Intergalactic Tourist

Just happened to me, Winter Year 1, day 5. Upgrading a tool and messed around with the quarry for a bit, but not much else besides that.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

My game crashes when I sleep, if I try and upgrade any of my tools, does anybody know a fix for this? I'm on the Switch version.

"Im in year 2, day 20 of fall and ive tri3d just upgrading my tool then going back to sleep and thats what causes the crash, i seem to be able to do everything else fine. Im at about level 100 in the mine, i saw the mine was causing issues for some people so thoight id mention that."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...me_crashes_when_i_sleep_if_i_try_and_upgrade/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
            • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Anyone else having a bug where you go to sleep at night and then the game says "an error has occurred the have will now close" (IIRC, NOT not verbatim)?

I think it might be involved with getting the fiberglass rod? Not sure, will do more tests later"

"So I'm on like winter day 10 or so year 1. I don't upgrade any tools BUT I do buy an upgraded fishing rod. I cook eggs and give gifts to people and I do have items from mines in my inventory. Gonna play around and see if i can fix it. Sigh"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do7ufp5/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
              • isaia3

isaia3 Space Hobo

Same thing happend to me on Fall day 8(npt 100% on the exact date). What I did the day: Collect eggs from coop, go from floor 80 to 85 in the mine. I redid this twice to see if the crash happend again, and it did. but I tried sleeping right after collecting the eggs and sleep worked as per usual. Hope this helps

Typhoon likes this.
                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Bug: Game crash on saving
                  Cause: Upgrading tools
                  Exp: I have done about 4 hours of testing as well as posts on reddit about this issue. The crash itself is dependent on you upgrading a tool (usually the pickaxe) with clint and then going to sleep. For me the issue occured only when trying to upgrate to iridium. For some it occurs when going to gold. This issue makes progressing past a certain point impossible (skeleton mine)

link to reddit post with more accounts: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/758140/tool_upgrade_bug/?st=J8NERJJ4&sh=1b165628 "

Copied from here:

https://community.playstarbound.com...own-issues-fixes-patch-1.138081/#post-3225080

• mdlayher

mdlayher Space Hobo

Hi, I'm having the same problem, and have also pinpointed it to upgrading a tool and then going to sleep.

It started happening when I tried to upgrade my watering can to gold, but seems to happen with any tool at this point.

Typhoon likes this.
                    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"For me it's upgrading my copper watering can to silver.
                      What's the date in your game? Someone made a good point that it's mostly happening during/after summer of year 1. For instance, it's happening to me on Winter 1 year 1.
                      I'm thinking it has something to do with accumulated items, seeing as comparing the clearing inventory fix and the time period of the crash happening."

Copied from here:

https://community.playstarbound.com...own-issues-fixes-patch-1.138081/#post-3225098

I've also been thinking that the bug has something to do with accumulated items, have the devs been looking at this possibility? I guess so?

• Aeladya

Aeladya Star Wrangler

I upgraded my pickaxe to copper, but the bug didn’t happen until I went to pick it up. Dropping my items off in a box did allow the game to continue.

Typhoon likes this.
                        • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Experienced my first crash while saving last night and it definitely sucked. Thankfully it was on a light winter day when I hadn't accomplished much but I hope they pinpoint the source and find a fix soon. This is my first time playing Stardew and I'm thoroughly enjoying it; I knew the game was well-received on PC and other consoles so I was glad to jump aboard the hype train with the Switch. Even with the bugs, this game has definitely been worth it. :)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nsive_official_list_of_known_stardew/do8ifti/

• Aeladya

Aeladya Star Wrangler

Unfortunately it only worked once, it won’t work now. Guess I’ll be waiting until there is a fix or playing on a different save file.

• Jed Gumbo

Jed Gumbo Space Hobo

Hi guys, just made an account to share my experience with the crash after trying to sleep.

I am on Fall 25 year 1 and am able to consistently reproduce the crash by trying to upgrade my pickaxe to iridium. If I go about my day and don't upgrade it I can save without issues. If I wake up, immediately drop off my pickaxe, and then return to bed the issue happens time and time again. PLEASE find a fix. This is my first experience with Stardew and I am HOOKED. I need to be able to progress!!

Typhoon and scssquatch like this.
                              • ggbagel

ggbagel Void-Bound Voyager

UPDATE: I am in spring year 2 and I no longer get the sleep crash after giving Clint a tool to upgrade.

Typhoon likes this.
                                • lveg

lveg Poptop Tamer

I'd like to add one more voice to the chorus. I was on day 27 of summer when I experienced this bug. For what it's worth, I was upgrading my hoe to the copper version (unfortunately I started the day before).

• Pandabear87

Pandabear87 Space Hobo

UPDATE: I made it to year 2 and was able to upgrade my pickaxe to copper without crashing the game. I did empty out my inventory just in case so not sure if it was the inventory or the new year.

• Kathiisu

Kathiisu Orbital Explorer

I'm currently on Y1 Fall and I've gotten this crash twice tonight on Day 7 when going to bed, after I get in bed and click "Yes" to sleep, the switch says "The software has closed because an error has occurred." Both times I was not upgrading my tools but I did have gems in the shipping box and my inventory. It's really frustrating because I lost my progress for that day twice, and I was mining and reaching a lot of floors :/