1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Do you have the game installed on a SD card? It's just a theory that I have, probably wrong though.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Another gamer has encountered this increasingly worrisome bug:

"Been truly enjoying this wonderful port so far, but I've seemed to have hit upon a snag where whenever I end a day (whether it be from passing out in the field or getting a good nights rest) the game errors and crashes, ostensibly sending me back into a Groundhog's Day-ian loop of no return.

It's Fall 18 of my first year and I've tried a number of things such as: sleeping without any items on my person, not giving gifts, not digging up worm patches, NOT upgrading my pickaxe, which leads me to the only constant: putting in the upgrade for the gold pickaxe... and, well, chopping down nearly every remaining tree on the map (out of sheer frustration at this point).

Anyone have any similar accounts of an upgrade causing a crash? I'm not a storied reddit user but I gave a cursory look before posting this. Thanks. And thanks developer for all the hard work, this version was worth the wait!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/75jdkv/golden_pickaxe_upgrade_crash_switch/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

And another:

"I'm at the first day of summer and encountered a gamebreaking bug when trying to end the day. I played it twice in the same way and am fairly certain that it is reproducable this way: Basically I just made the field and planted 480 crops, 240 of which were Corn.

Possible causes for the crash:

Too many crops in one day Too many of the same crop at once Bug because of the date

I will test this starting by planting half the crops, but not today, I'm tired after playing this exact day twice."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/75j09g/stardew_valley_gamebreaking_bug/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Some thoughts on this issue - from all that I've read this problem is only affecting people who have been playing the game until they're reached the Summer of Year 1 - seems to me that the further you get into the game and the more items you collect plus the more you do (Quests, upgrades, etc) the more likely the chance that the bug will strike ............

Also, a Reddit poster suggests this:

"hmmm I'm in Spring year 2 and got to the bottom of the mine in Winter Year 1 with no issue. I have had all gold tools as well. Never had a single crash luckily.

I don't usually sell anything I mine, tho, so maybe that's how I've avoided it?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...or_70_and_below_in_the_mines_crashes/do6qxhf/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
          • Aeladya

Aeladya Star Wrangler

My game keeps crashing when attempting to sleep on Winter 7. I cannot actually continue on that save file now.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Have you tried emptying your inventory before sleeping? That apparently works for some people.

• Zorkinian

Zorkinian Void-Bound Voyager

No, digital download.

• scssquatch

scssquatch Space Hobo

I think Typhoon is asking whether the game is stored on an SD card in your switch, or on the built-in storage. You can check in the settings under Data Management -> Manage Software -> Stardew Valley. Either System Memory or microSD will have a sliver of green depending on where it is stored.

• Hodapp

Hodapp Space Hobo

Same problem here- Stuck on Winter 4, Year 1. Super frustrating as I don’t want to just advance time and waste my winter but seems like anything I do in the day gets lost to the crash. I’m 20 hours into the game and loving it but this is really killing it for me. :(

• Aeladya

Aeladya Star Wrangler

I might try that. I wonder if it’s because it’s a day before a festival, I completed a community center bundle set, and because I have a tool ready at Clint’s? I also viewed Sebastian’s 6 Heart Event and the previous day finished a different bundle set.

Typhoon likes this.
                      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

And the steady trickle of people having this gamebreaking problem is in danger of turning into a flood:

"The issue happens for me when upgrading my axe from gold to iridium. I'm just gonna leave it gold and wait for a patch."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/75j09g/stardew_valley_gamebreaking_bug/do7iwo6/

"I too have hit this bug. None of the workarounds mentioned on various threads (like emptying inventory) work. This is after 35 hours of play. The save is basically lost for me.

The idea one could put this much time in and then lose it is really frustrating. I have never encountered so many bugs on a console (as opposed to PC) game and it's pretty frustrating."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/75j09g/stardew_valley_gamebreaking_bug/do74g6s/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
                        • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

and another ..............

"Just as the title says my game has been crashing everytime I try to go to bed on winter 26 of year one. I've looked this up online and seen that people have had this issue on the PC version in the past. Is this something that anybody else is encountering? I'm worried that the save file is corrupted somehow, I don't know how it would have happened but I've already put in about 33 hours into the game and really don't want to have to start over. Has anybody encountered this yet and come up with a fix? I'm really not a big fan of the Groundhog Day feature..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/75mzhp/game_crash_nintendo_switch/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

another:

"I'm getting a crash on sleep bug that's halted my progress. I'm in Fall, day 18 of year one, and it's consistently crashing. I do not have any tools being upgraded or at the blacksmiths, and I haven't added anything to any bundles for the day. The only things out of the ordinary I've done was give a salad to Leah and complete a quest for Lewis, and Robin is currently on my farm building a second solo. Everything else I've done has just been riding the horse around foraging, petting and feeding the chickens, and building a stone fence around their coop."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do7a1c3/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I'm currently on Y1 Fall Day 7 and I've gotten this crash twice tonight on Day 7 when going to bed, after I get in bed and click "Yes" to sleep, the switch says "The software has closed because an error has occurred." It's really frustrating because I lost my progress for that day twice, and I was mining and reaching a lot of floors :/"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...the_culprits_for_the_sleep_crash_bug/do5r1rs/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
                              • SkyeFire

SkyeFire Space Hobo

Update; I stopped trying to go down levels in the mine for all of winter and tried attempting again in year two and was able to go down levels in the mine without any saving issues.

Typhoon likes this.
                                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Here's a thought - maybe the devs already considered this, but how about if they developed a simple "diagnostic tool" for the save file - this would analyse the save game data on affected Switch's and display some diagnostic info. Users could then take a screenshot of the info and email to the devs, or simply type in the info and email it (depending on what is displayed).

Not sure how they'd distribute the diagnostic tool though, I guess it would need to be uploaded to the eShop and made available as a free download on the Stardew Valley page?

Starlight174 likes this.
                                  • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

That's a very interesting observation, I'm wondering if you're onto something here.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

this one is interesting:

"If you cook and eat food (at least in winter, haven’t tried in the other seasons) the game crashes when you sleep (it might be just fried eggs as it is all I’ve been able to see but at least the cooking and eating of fried eggs in winter causes crashes when you try to sleep)"

and in response to that:

"So, just tested the game by waking up, feeding/petting my animals, then cooking and eating sashimi, but it did not crash. Still not sure what the cause is at this point... really damn frustrating.

EDIT: Also confirmed that doing a lot of things during the day but not eating something I cooked still resulted in a crash.

EDIT2: Just did a pretty "full" day (farming, foraging, gift giving, petting/feeding animals) but did not even COOK sashimi, let alone eat it, and the game did not crash.

EDIT3: Game is continuing to function properly if I completely avoid cooking sashimi so... shrug. Will just stop making sashimi until this bug is fixed

EDIT4: Gosh dangit. I have completely avoided cooking sashimi but I just went to the skull caves for a full day and the game crashed when I went to sleep. I guess it's not sashimi after all."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do5wja8/

dressenb likes this.