1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

karmaqt2 likes this.
  2. cmat

cmat Seal Broken

I currently have this issue and have attempted twice to see if it was a one time deal. It is not. I go through all of my tasks for the day and then immediately when I hit yes to go to bed it crashes. I don't get a fade out or go to the screen where it cashes out my sales, I hit the yes button and it immediately crashes. I'm going to bed around 12/12:30, I'm using the monster farm and I'm on fall 18 a Thursday, no rain. Only notable events that happens is the mayor Lewis Marnie meet up.

Edit: I noticed other people were saying they didn't cook on that particular day and emptied out their fridge. I have items in my fridge and have been cooking since I needed a dish for Marnies birthday. I'll try emptying the fridge and not cooking and see how that turns out. OH NOOOO IM NOT GONNA HAVE THE RIGHT ITEM FOR HER BDAY :rofl: :rofl:

2nd edit: Removing all food from the fridge and cooking nothing allowed me to progress to the next day and save. I'm going to see if I can cook anything today.

3rd Edit: After making it past the initial day the game crashed after going to bed, I attempted to cook something the next day and put all of my food back in the fridge. I did cook an item went about my day and the game promptly crashed. It seems like this error has something to do with cooking items.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
      Typhoon likes this.
    • darkaysahead

darkaysahead Space Hobo

I encountered the crash again for a third time. All I did today was go to the mines. I don’t believe I cooked anything but could be wrong. I’m on the 11th day in Winter.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

It can take some time but an increasing number of people are finding exactly what is causing their crashes by re-playing the same day over and over again to isolate which item or event is triggering the crash, they are then able to progress the game. Others are also finding that emptying the contents of the fridge (if they have one) AND inventory into a chest at the end of the day is fixing the problem, so that's also worth trying.

It does seem to vary from player to player, for example one has found that it's a geode causing it (so the person dumped that geode in the trash can and found he could then save his game progress).

In short, and if you feel up to it, experiment as outlined above. Or wait until the devs isolate the cause and release a patch.

Good luck!

• darkaysahead

darkaysahead Space Hobo

Thanks. I'll experiment a bit more later. Do you think it's worth starting a new game? Could the save file be corrupted?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
          • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

I'm afraid that I don't know if the save files are corrupted, you'd need to ask Chucklefish. Having said that, if they suspected that there was corruption then maybe they would have stated this by now? I just don't know - let's hope not.

As for starting a new game - if you don't mind doing that then it will be fine .... .at first, BUT you could still encounter the bug as you progress. It seems to be so random that it's impossible to say.

Having said all of the above, if I were you I'd spend maybe an hour or two trying to isolate what's causing the crash on your current save.

I hope this helps.

• BottledKetchup

BottledKetchup Space Hobo

Encountered this bug today. Winter day 4, year 1, played it again several times to figure out what caused it. It ended up being cooking at the kitchen. Once I got past it, I played the next day and cooked at the kitchen to see if would crash again, and it did. Then I played that day agan but didn't cook in the kitchen, and it was fine.

The issue, in my save at least, seems to be tied to the kitchen

Typhoon likes this.
              • Bwirth2

Bwirth2 Space Hobo

For my game save, around Fall 27, year 1, it was tied to having food in my fridge. I could cook with no problem, but having food in my fridge and going mining, seemed to break it. Moved everything to a chest instead and haven't had a problem.

• keegansnow

keegansnow Space Hobo

Another similar story. Year 2, spring 10th. I wake up to rain (thank god), fortune teller says it's my lucky day though so I cook some eggs, tend to my animals, clear my inventory and head to the mines for a very productive grind of floors 60-70 then most of 30-40 for ore. Complete an adventurers bounty. Barely make it home to bed before 2, my dog Bear is already asleep. As soon as I crash so does the game.

Another similar story. Year 2, spring 10th. I wake up to rain (thank god), fortune teller says it's my lucky day though so I cook some eggs, tend to my animals, clear my inventory and head to the mines for a very productive grind of floors 60-70 then most of 30-40 for ore. Complete an adventurers bounty. Barely make it home to bed before 2, my dog Bear is already asleep. As soon as I crash so does the game.

After the first two my batter was low and I thought it had to do with that. Got home and plugged in, did the day again and had the same result. Then I googled and it auto-completed... uhg.

I cant say for sure that I overworked or passed out the day before but in the day or two before groundhogs day I think I did accidentally overexaust. I ate and lost the debuff but the symbol stayed there. thought it was kinda weird but didn't think much of it until my game crashed and I heard there was an exhaustion trend.

• lveg

lveg Poptop Tamer

I was having the issue on summer day 27 while I had a hoe in the process of upgrading at the Blacksmith, but I managed to get past the bug. I tried putting everything in my inventory (including things I'd picked up in the mine and tools) into a chest before going to sleep, and I managed to save the game just fine. Not sure if that's what the issue was or not, but now it's saving normally.

• Alisuu

Alisuu Space Spelunker

Another post in the forum suggests the cause of the crash is not as much the cooking itself, but gaps in the fridge item line up. Adding any item into the fridge supposedly rearranges them, removing the empty slot in the row and provides happy crash free play. Could people who have experienced the crash try this?

Typhoon likes this.
                      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Thanks, that sounds feasible. There are an increasing number of people who are finding that emptying the fridge contents into a chest stops the crash. It doesn't appear to be the sole cause of the bug, but it's a good place to start if you have sleep crash problems. Maybe try both methods (emptying the fridge and adding to it).

• karmaqt2

karmaqt2 Space Hobo

You don't need to empty the fridge. It's when you use items out of it, then for some reason the gap it leaves crashes the game. You add in ANY item before you go to sleep, and it's fine. Used up a couple of days, but I am 99% sure that's the issue. Woke up, cooked, went to bed, game crashed. Woke up, did not cook anything, game saved. Woke up, cooked, added in gold bars (cause why not) and game saved.

Typhoon likes this.
                          • Alisuu

Alisuu Space Spelunker

Most storage interfaces except player inventory seem to line up themselves when accessed and to that end, the fridge not resorting after cooking is a bit of an oversight. I wonder if the other crashes are similarly related to other (hidden?) storage interfaces getting Nuls.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• FireproM2K

FireproM2K Space Hobo

Typhoon likes this.
                            • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Excellent, thanks for reporting this.

• FireproM2K

FireproM2K Space Hobo

Just spent the day in the mine, cooked miners treat gave gifts, foraged made mayo. Basically an action packed day. Saved just fine again after making sure the fridge was okay.

Typhoon likes this.
                                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

That's great news. :)

Did you empty the fridge or did you remove and then put back an item to fix it? I'm curious if it's possible for people to avoid emptying the fridge as removing then adding an item is of course much quicker and easier.

• FireproM2K

FireproM2K Space Hobo

I never emptied the fridge I always just make sure to put something in if there's an empty space.

It's def the empty space from cooking that causes it in my opinion.

It seems like the other chests in the game auto re-sort to prevent it. But since when you cook from fridge if you use up an item it creates that space. Which what was crashing it for me.

Typhoon likes this.