1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

This is worrying, save game file corruption perhaps? Let's hope not after the early save file corruption issues on the PS4 and Xbox One: (edit: no, it's not corrupting data).

"On the 6th day of Spring, when I go to sleep, during the saving process (between the 6th and 7th of Spring), the gale crash and I have to redo the day. I tried another time, same thing. Anyone with the same problem or a solution?

Thanks."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do14t9i/

Edit: If you are experiencing this bug, please take a look at the first post in the folowing Reddit thread which explains what's happening and how to work around it until Chucklefish release a patch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...tch_players_update_from_chucklefish_games_on/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

and another:

Today I have had an issue with my game crashing after I go to sleep (in game) but before it saves. This happened twice on Summer 26 so instead of going to the mine like I had twice, I fished and it didn't crash that night. But now, Fall 2, it just crashed after all of my planting ugh. It's a bummer. Has anyone else had this, and if so, is there anything I can do to minimize the risk? I'm sure it'll be patched but today I have pumpkins to plant, man!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/74w9jm/switch_game_crashes_at_bedtime/

• rndmwhitekid

rndmwhitekid Intergalactic Tourist

Same thing is happening to me when I try to sleep on the 25th day of Fall. All I do is get eggs/milk and then go to the mines for the whole day. I went from levels 85-90, picked up the Obsidian Edge from the chest on level 90, then went to bed.

UPDATE:

So I tried it again, but this time all I did was feed the animals and then went straight to bed. This time it saved and progressed to the next day.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
        • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

This may be my memory playing tricks but I'm starting to have a vague feeling that this is similar to one aspect of the save/load problems that initially occurred (and were fixed) with the Xbox One and PS4 release of SDV late last year. The devs will know more, let's hope that they are reading this thread as it's extremely important.

@rndmwhitekid- that update regarding your workaround is potentially very useful, can anyone else reading this who is affected by this bug please try that solution?

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Another instance of save game file corruption?

"Stardew valley keeps crashing upon saving or recently after saves for me. "software closed due to an error" and then when I try to start it back up it says that the micro SD card has been removed. It won't let me start it back up until I take out the SD card, restart the console, and then put it back in. Then it crashes 20 min later. So frustrating! All of my other games are working flawlessly with no errors. Anyone have any tips?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/74x83o/frequent_stardew_valley_crashing/

or perhaps it's related to this SD card bug:

"I'm experiencing a major bug where the game will randomly stop reading the SD card and crash. Game forces me to take out SD card and restart console to get it working again. This does not happen with any other games. Hopefully this gets seen and fixed!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do1k56a/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Another instance of the game crashing around the time of going to bed:

"I'm crashing consistently upon going to bed in the Summer. There's definitely something I'm doing during the day that triggers it, as I can go to sleep immediately and proceed normally. I'm adding some stuff to community center bundles (sushi, hay, wheat) as well as taking care of my chickens and harvesting some crops (wheat, melon)."

then:

"I think I've narrowed it down to adding sushi or maple syrup to the chef's bundle"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do1xw0y/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

another instance of this:

"So I’m on day 25 of fall, year 1 on the switch version of the game. As of late, I keep tuning into the problem of the game crashing immediately after I go to sleep. It happens pretty frequently. If I get out of bed, then immediately go back to sleep, the game will proceed to the next day just fine, but it seems when I try and do anything substantial (sell crops, try to get a tool upgraded, etc.) the game will crash as soon as I go to sleep. Is anyone else having this problem? I know that a patch is coming to fix some bugs in the game, but I haven’t seen anybody else talking about this same problem."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/74zqn0/sleeping_crash_on_switch/

• Jefewyatt

Jefewyatt Space Hobo

Here was my similar issue and possible workaround. I had read some other issues about people crashing due to tool upgrades in the past so that got me thinking about it. It could definitely have been something different about my inventory state and all of this was red herrings, but I was able to move past the crash and play normally:

I'm crashing consistently upon going to bed in the Summer. There's definitely something I'm doing during the day that triggers it, as I can go to sleep immediately and proceed normally. I'm adding some stuff to community center bundles (sushi, hay, wheat) as well as taking care of my chickens and harvesting some crops (wheat, melon).

EDIT: I think I found a workaround. I had upgraded my axe and it was ready at the blacksmith. I had been adding to the community center bundles without picking it up. I picked it up and slept the day off. I then proceeded to play a few days normally, but not adding to any community center bundles until the season changed to fall. Everything seems OK now.

Typhoon likes this.
                  • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Pleased to hear that you found a workaround and thanks for posting it.

Hopefully Chucklefish can fix this fault quickly as it's obviously very serious.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
                    • dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

Started playing on the switch. Got to Winter Day 2, played a full day went to sleep and got this message. Thought that it was weird, rebooted, played another full day, same message. Rebooted, tried going right to bed and it saved normally (frustrating to lose a full day, but whatever, hoped it was fixed). Played Winter Day 3, full day, went to bed and got the message again. Don't know what is causing this or how to fix it.[​IMG]

UPDATE: Tried not doing the squid quest (not even opening the letter) and not fishing. Still got the message. Followed by archiving the game data (not save data, because I'm not losing my game lol), redownloading the game, playing the day as I had initially . . . still got the message T.T

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
                        Typhoon likes this.
                      • Acorn Complex

Acorn Complex Void-Bound Voyager

Getting the exact same error message, for me it was due to going to the mines. I just did a full day without mining and had no problems saving, but now I'm too scared to start mining again.. lol

Typhoon and dressenb like this.
                        • dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

I didn't mine at all, I gave Linus a yam and Sebastian some sashimi, hoed the ground for winter foraging, and ended the day fishing for the squid quest (unsuccessfully, because Switch fishing is a little different than the PC fishing am I right? XP).

Typhoon likes this.
                          • Pandabear87

Pandabear87 Space Hobo

I am having the game crash while trying to upgrade the pickaxe in the fall 1st year. I already have the copper can and copper axe. If I drop my pickaxe off at Clint's the game crashes when I go to sleep. If I don't drop the pickaxe of the game proceeds to the next day.

EDIT: Not sure if this is relevant but before I noticed this bug the game crashed for the first time on a night where I didn't make it to my bed in time. Passed out in my living room and got the crash screen.

Bangkaboom, Typhoon and dressenb like this.
                            • eXaminator

eXaminator Guest

I also had a crash while saving. I was able to narrow it down to the letter I got regarding entering the adventurers guild. Once I read that letter the game crashed the next night. I was able to fix it (for now) by killing the 10 slimes on the same day before going back to sleep. Before reading the letter I also had to read another letter (the one about falling asleep somewhere and having been robbed of some money). I fell asleep in the mine the day before. So maybe this has something todo with it somehow.

Typhoon likes this.
                              • ggbagel

ggbagel Void-Bound Voyager

I've been having the same issue. It seems to be triggered by going to sleep after dropping my axe off at the blacksmith's for an upgrade. It started in fall 23 1st year, but it still happens in winter.

Typhoon likes this.
                                • Zorkinian

Zorkinian Void-Bound Voyager

I have been experiencing the same problem intermittently. I will sleep, hit the crash, then open the game again. I do (as far as I can tell) approximately the same actions, and this time I can sleep/save successfully. However, the next day will crash on sleep. It feels like I'm living in some kind of groundhog day, as I've been doing each day twice for about three days now.

Activites on my most recent day (Fall 15, 1st year):
                                  - Pet chickens/duck, make mayo
                                  - Pet/Milk cows/goat, make cheese
                                  - Make pale ale
                                  - Chop hardwood at the forest pond
                                  - Completed the Vault in the Community center
                                  - Gave some gifts to townspeople

I don't have any tools out for upgrade, or any new quests that I can remember.

dressenb likes this.
                                  • fraidycatt

fraidycatt Space Hobo

I'm also experiencing this bug! I very recently upgraded to steel axe, which seems to be a common trend in these posts. I'm midway through winter-- got through two days by simply emptying my inventory every night (crashed both times if I didn't) but this past night I emptied the inventory and it still crashed.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Anyone find a fix for the crash on sleeping thing yet? In Fall now and if I do anything at all before going back to sleep the game immediately crashes. If I wake up then go back to sleep right away it works fine but on the next day I have the same problem. Tested about 10 times now and doing anything (watering crops, picking up an egg, shipping something, going mining etc) causes the game to crash when I go to sleep afterwards."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...w_valley_primer_tips_tricks_and_faqs/do2v3c2/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

[Stardew Valley issue] 4 times now I've gone to the ice fishing contest win and go to bed then get the software crash screen

"Please tell me im not the only one! I've had a few days previously go unsaved due to a "software error" but this is 4 times in a row for the same day. On my last playthrough I even checked software for corruptions which came back clean then redownloaded the game.

Does the game just get mad that I win every time? -.- I just don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions? This is seriously bumming me out."

"It has also happened to me quite a lot, especially when I cook sashimi to give as a gift... However there was another time that it crashed two times in a row and I couldn’t really replicate it... so what I did was let the character pass out instead of going to sleep and it worked!! Try doing that!! If I’m not wrong the game only saves when you go to bed and there might be some kind of error when you save and the next day with all the new lines of code it goes well..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...dew_valley_issue_4_times_now_ive_gone_to_the/