Modding Help Swimming in air

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Evil Parrot, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Evil Parrot

Evil Parrot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know it sounds wierd at first, but I would like to know a way(if there is any) to add to the custom race swimming status effect, or similar. Not just swimming in water, but in air! I think it could be perfect for flying race I am going to create, but I can't make this for now because of lack of knowledge.

2. RainbowHannah

RainbowHannah Void-Bound Voyager

So, first off, swimming isn't a status effect, it's an animation state, just like running, walking, or jumping. You are swimming by default when in water, or when you have no gravity. A flying race is probably going to require working with Lua, which coincidentally happens to be what you'll need to set the player animation state. There are four main places you should start looking at if you want to use Lua in Starbound.
    1. https://www.lua.org/start.html
    2. Lua files from Starbound's unpacked assets
    3. Starbound's Lua documentation contained in the starbound/doc/lua folder
    4. Additional documentation of Lua tables and functions on the Starbounder Wiki
    It can be pretty confusing to figure out how to use and create Lua scripts if you don't know how to write actual code, so make sure that's something you're interested in doing. You'll want to focus on at least learning the basics of syntax before diving in, so look at lua.org to teach you and the Lua files in Starbound if you need examples of how they're implemented in Starbound.