Survival: separate hunger from drop-items-on-death

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Khym Chanur, May 2, 2016.

1. Khym Chanur

Khym Chanur Big Damn Hero

When trying out the nightly/unstable game I enjoy the hunger mechanic, but hate losing my items when I die. So I'd like to be able to turn on hunger while otherwise keep it "casual".

2. Asheilias

Asheilias Seal Broken

I kinda agree and give us a benefit to playing on survival haha.

3. LeMinotier

LeMinotier Poptop Tamer

I agree that having the option to toggle hunger on and off would be great but many people would agree that not being able to beam to your ship from underground is an integral and well liked part of survival as well.

It is only the dropping of items many people don't seem to like about survival mode and I wonder why. I think it adds tension and adds meaning to the combats and especially your death while not being overly punishing. I can see that it makes you backtrack and seemingly waste time by recovering the items you lost and i can see that people might not like this.

I wonder what Chucklefish should do about it. Letting the player toggle everything on and off as they wish is not the best solution I think, but it could be a way to make many people happy.

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

So make a mod that does so.

http://playstarbound.com/22nd-january-broom-for-improvement/

Never likes this.
  5. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have never been able to use mods, but the option to activate hunger in any difficulty would be nice.

Roselle likes this.
  6. darkness4ever

darkness4ever Void-Bound Voyager

Survival is related with immersion rather than difficulty. It makes little sense to have them all in one bundle.

Losing items is not an actual difficulty, but a hindrance towards the player's invested time.

It'd be better with separate options.

Roselle and STCW262 like this.
  7. IcyLucario

IcyLucario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, I want hunger but I don't want to lose items, maybe a checkbox, maybe a difficulty between the two.

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time