1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Server with Fully Player Factions

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bob the Biscuit, Mar 5, 2012.

?

Do we want a "Super Server"

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob the Biscuit

Bob the Biscuit Starship Captain

I just thought, when this is released we need a default server hosted by staff. It would be like a hub of sorts with player factions/wars etc.
    What do you think?

2. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I don't think it would be able to work properly, even though the idea is good.
    There would be an extensive amount of people (hundreds, maybe thousands) trying to play on this one server while trying to be on different planets, creating a huge strain on the server.
    Not to mention player management and the intended style of playing the game. I don't think the devs want this to be an MMO.

3. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

^This and the fact that people would ruin it for others very fast.

4. Nicolas

Nicolas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually, this is confirmed as a sort of MMO, everything technically could be multilayer as I understand it, but wont be, most wont be on one server but each client could connect to any planet any time, and so could anyone else... so in that sense yes you could have guilds and such.

Heres a quote from the Devs: “The whole universe will be available in both single and multiplayer. We’re looking at scaling the difficulty for multiplayer, but aside from that there’s no difference.”
    The complete story, quests and universe will all be available in multiplayer; so you can do the whole game with friends
    Multiplayer numbers should be per server and go up to large numbers
    “Our test server is running on a terrible connection and we’ve had around 10 people in with zero troubles”

5. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

oh, i tought it would be people having there own server program and running them instead of having 1 big one?

6. Aviakio

That wouldn't make sense if one set of coordinates connected to the same planet as everyone else, where you see other players and what they have done. People could get mass griefing teams and ravage all the planets then.

7. Nicolas

I do not know if it would be on one server, but I remember reading somewhere that it was basically one universe, and so people should be able to connect to each-others planets anytime.

8. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

I think they mean you can connect to any server at any moment, i dont think it would be possible any planet, cause, like Kiofspa said, people would use mass-destruction devices just to blow up planets for no reason.

9. Aviakio

Might be a different interpretation to what I've picked up, as I think that it would be the same universe of coordinates, i.e. coordinate (blah,blah,blah) would generate a grassy planet with killer banana penguins on both my game and your game, but what I do in my game doesn't alter your game.

10. Bob the Biscuit

Really the devs would have to get hardware specificly for this purpose...
    Also they could disable planet destruction etc...

11. Nicolas

Hmm, I may be wrong about it... I think that there probably will start to be bigger servers if people desire to have more of an effected feel, if griefing could be controlled that is.

12. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Wouldnt that disable mining too?

13. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

I like everything about that except the "Anytime" part beacuse the last thing i want is some bored guy wanting to have some form of emotional gain by destroying everything i have worked for.
    Faction servers are very likely to pop up anyway but a super server is as likely as having one in Minecraft.

14. Nicolas

Or if you could come up with a reasonable control for griefing...(claiming a planet) then run a central server that only stores the data. You could have the rest be on a mostly P2P connection.

heres some more known features:
    • The entire universe of experiences will be available in both Single player and Multi-player. (heres where I think I may have gotten confused)
    • Servers will be able to hold as many players as it can based on its power, and internet speed. (heres why I think the community might indeed eventually have a megaserver IE: EVE)

15. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Having hundreds/thousands of people on a server, doing all different things would require a huge server, i dont know if the dev's would want to do that.

16. Bob the Biscuit

They could set up planets specificly for mining.
    For other planets they would likely be faction owned but the first people there would have build/mineing right that they can pads on...

17. Nicolas

The Devs may not want to... but since unlike terraria you can have as many people as you want on a server the community might eventually set one up.

EDIT: In fact I think this is a more valid question: Do we as a community want a megaserver in addition to our own servers?

18. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Lets hope so, i wouldnt mind seeing one.

19. Bob the Biscuit

The server stress of having thousands of players on it isnt really a problem.
    If the host has the right hardware it will be perfect.
    Because think of runescape which has server limits of 10000...

20. uigfnbxs

uigfnbxs Big Damn Hero

For all games there always is a 'Super Server' For example, there is the Planet Earth( I think it is called that) server in minecraft. I don't think that the devs will amke one though. Just saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.