Sun question

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Twiganator, Aug 26, 2012.

?

should you be able to travel to the suns of starbound.

1. heck yes

34.1%
  2. no

65.9%
  1. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

i don't know if this has been asked yet. but tiy recently shared a picture of the sun in starbound. now the question i have is can you travel to the sun and fight monsters on it etc.

here is the picture

[​IMG]

2. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

I highly doubt it. There wouldn't be any life that could naturally survive the heat of the sun, and there wouldn't be any food, water, or shelter there either. And there wouldn't be much to do on it. Plus it would be extremely hard to withstand the heat.

3. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

I would rather avoid explaining the entire scientific impossibility of this..

suffice it to say "A star melts titanium from miles away"

4. Ublind

Ublind Void-Bound Voyager

What about adamantium? Maybe stars could be more of an endgame-type "world" to go to? You would have to have very special/rare/expensive gear to go there. I kind of like the idea of getting rare sun armor as a blessing from the sun god, as a token of your bravery for traveling to his home.

Twiganator likes this.
  5. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

6. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

Would you like to take a swin in magma just for the lulz? Except it's so hot it isn't even liquid, and with no magic antiohmygodimmelting suit, would you?

Twiganator likes this.
  7. Ublind

Ublind Void-Bound Voyager

Edit: I kind of like the idea of getting rare Saiyan armor as a blessing from the Super Saiyan god, as a token of your bravery for traveling to him.

(I don't watch the show, I'm just guessing that's what it is)

8. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

maybe you would have to have gear from level 100 planets to get to stars?

9. HappyVader

HappyVader Big Damn Hero

While this may be a "Nova" idea...travelling to a star needs to have a premise on which to sustain a suspension of disbelief. Media of any type can captivate audiences even further if any and all disbelief can be removed. In this sense, why would you be travelling to a location that incinerates virtually everything that is known? What mission objective could explain the necessity of such a visit and how is that to be accomplished within the mission?

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a fabulous idea to involve interactions/explorations with stars, and that it could open up some very interesting potential in gameplay. I see this not as an impossibility, but as an opportunity to explore further ways to add content to the game. My only request is that consideration of the aforementioned concepts be applied in this setting.

So you think "exploring the sun" would be a novel idea? Why? X3

Twiganator likes this.
  10. Bombzero

my honest impression is they don't know what stars are.

11. Nwb712

Nwb712 Void-Bound Voyager

How do you explore something so hot that its not even solid

12. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

liking is not enough.. dats awsome:up:

13. Bombzero

you die, I would presume.

14. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

IN HELLLLLL:devil:

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  15. Fishcake

Fishcake Pangalactic Porcupine

Nope.

16. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

the sun is a giant ball of burning gas, theres no surface...

17. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

dude just because you can't travel to stars in real life doesn't mean you can't possibly do it in starbound. you guys saying things about something realistic, do you really think starbound is realistic (it is but very little) if you want if realistic then you will die forever and never come back and you will have to start a new world. guns would have a a large amount of kick. gravity would apply to everything. starbound isn't real life. and i didn't mean to walk on the sun i'm not retarded. i meant like fly over it. heck maybe we could make it have a surface. WHO KNOWS

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  18. Bombzero

but, why?

I don't mean its a bit warm, I mean it would literally melt your spaceship from several miles away if you were lucky enough to still be alive at that point, and not have died from the heat.
    lava, can kill a human being standing within a couple dozen feet of it nigh instantly, this is pushed a bit for gameplay and all. stars, make lava look like an ice flow, not to mention solar radiation and all that fun stuff.
    I understand stretching realism a bit, but some things fall well outside sci-fi and sci-fy, to the point where it would be truly cringe-worthy.

Corrupt Ai likes this.
  19. photostyle

photostyle The Old One

You swim.

§hifter, Sykes and Twiganator like this.
  20. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Or with a jetpack. There would certainly be no shortage of fuel.