Suggestions: Minor defense

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by obsidiangoat, Jan 18, 2016.

?

Should minor defense be implemented?

1. Yes! Environment hurts me so I should be able to use it against mobs too!

54.5%
  2. The villagers should just SHUT THE DOOR WHEN THEY SEE A MONSTER.

81.8%
  3. Give everyone a poor weapon, the power of gardeners!

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. obsidiangoat

obsidiangoat Void-Bound Voyager

Let me explain what I mean with "minor defense" Suggestion/idea. Having a guard can be expensive or simply not fit in your peaceful settlement, and turrets are just incredibly out of place, some creatures cannot be stopped physically now, they climb over walls no matter how tall or complex they are, they kill your villagers without much effort despite their lameness as a creature, these are my suggestions to prevent this:

- Villagers have weak weapons (weak as compared to the place they live in) to protect themselves minimally, like knives for hylotls, guns for Novakids, etc.

- Villagers run to their designated homes and SHUT THE DOOR, Instead of just letting the monster wobble in.

- Something that you can use for defense like what you find in caves or prisons, barbed wire and whatnot, when placed by the player it should affect mobs, so you have more varied and pretty ways to defend your home.

- I shouldn't need a guard constantly nor should I need turrets cluttering the settlement I'm trying create.

- Sidenote: Instead of having a deed assigned to a space, you have a deed assigned to the bed in that space, so it doesn't take up space on the wall and they actually use their bed, especially when formatting the house like a building, they tend to exchange beds (dirty!)

- Second side note: Guard AI should be encouraged to go outside of their house! Patrolling often!
    Suggestions are welcome!

And am I putting this in the right place? hylotl.png

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Verion and foreck like this.
  2. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I mostly give guard small room on entrees of my houses to keep my Villagers save I hope some of my pictures can give you some insperation ^_^

Hylotl Village1.png

Hylotl, Village 2.png

Hylotl village 3.png

Hylotl Village 4.png

Verion and obsidiangoat like this.
  3. obsidiangoat

I love your settlement, it's gorgeous. But I like to make villages, a house per villager, keeping things at peace, a guard on each border, maybe two. Or like how I'd like it, no guards, just simple life, being the only threat birds, which in the planet I'm in has barely any. Just snails, fucking snails.

4. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There isn't a "no" option, but if there were I'd choose that. Just make better walls or get over being scared of guards.
    Or, (this is a thing) you could catch a mob and put it into a tether, effectively a guard but it's just an animal.

(also there's an actual area to submit suggestions)

5. FrozenWing

FrozenWing Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would like to give my crafted or found weapons/armor to npc that I spawn. Option every npc has slots for that like player has.

6. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly, we should be able to use stuff like Tesla Coils against monsters, or at the very least something less intrusive like dart traps, flame traps, etc.. Kinda like how Terraria does it, in a sense. Still deals damage, may have a more limited range, but blends into the blocks better. Or maybe making more varieties of turrets. I know Avians could have made Crystal Turrets or something that'd fit with their buildings thematically.

obsidiangoat likes this.
  7. obsidiangoat

You can see them there but I have very thick, big and curved walls, the monsters walk on it like it was ground, and they spawn inside the village as soon as you leave it, killing your villagers, it might not be a big issue for you but to me creating a mood is important, I wanted to make a peaceful village with no giant ass turrets or heavily armored guards INSIDE the village (I already have two in each border)

Verion likes this.
  8. obsidiangoat

I agree, or like I said, some spikes you could put on the wall to keep them from crawling everywhere, and quite frankly, tone down the spawning, ever since the last update, mobs are a plague, no friendly mobs anymore and all of them are angry for some odd reason.

9. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Here's an idea: place pools of lava or poison between your villagers and the wall-climbing monsters that threaten them.

10. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

that is an option, but it only defends against the mobs that climb the walls. doesn't do anything about the monsters that spawn within the village limits (bypassing the proposed defenses) and just start slaughtering. maybe there's a way to build a mod that adds an anti-monster shield generator or something, where everything within a certain (reasonably large) radius is considered "indoors" and therefore is inelegible for monster spawns? make it something you can place on a wall or on (or under) the ground, so you can bury it and have it be invisible. that way, any hostiles will have to come through your defenses to get to your squishy delicious villagers. or maybe you could extend the shield placement outside the limits of the settlement enough that monsters can't spawn close enough to wander your way? that way, you don't need defenses at all. i dunno. maybe ask over in the modding forum :3. o7 good hunting