Suggestions for Magic

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Colyeses, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Colyeses

Colyeses Void-Bound Voyager

I was... kind of disappointed to find out that there is apparently no racial difference in what staves or wands can be made at a Manipulator's table and that you're thus left with only the spells on the one staff and the one wand you can produce, and you are otherwise at the mercy of the RNG in finding what you want. In addition, it seems the variety of spells is somewhat limited, so I want to suggest a new way to craft staves and wands, and some new spells to put on them.

So first off, getting to the root of the problem: The crafting. I would like to suggest making it possible to create spell foci via certain recipes, and then being able to combine these into staves and wands. Since a growing spell list would rapidly increase the number of possibilities, it would be impractical to have an entire list of every single possible combination, so it'd probably be better to have a special interface where you can slot the two components you want to use, and then out pops the result, be it staff or wand.

Secondly, wands. In order to further diversify magic and spells, I'm thinking that wands are made by combining one spell focus (That specifies element and type of spell) with a wand make. The wand make would add additional alterations to the spell installed on the wand, such as weakening the spell but improving cast time, or the reverse effect, or perhaps even more complicated things like an auto-targeting system or something that massively increases cast time in order to make the spell cast multiple times in quick succession.

And last but certainly not least... New spells! Let's see if I can make this at least somewhat organised!

Weighted Projectile
    A very simple idea: Lobs a projectile at set force towards the cursor. The projectile is affected by gravity and will curve down towards the surface of the planet.

Beam shot

Another simple spell, once the charge is released, it emits a line from the staff to the cursor that deals damage on touch. Could persist for a second or two, three.

Sentry

This was actually in the game in the past. Spell creates a stationary object that launches attacks against nearby enemies.

Moonweight Burst

Magic can also be put to great use in terms of utility, like with this spell. Everyone loves some light gravity, but the anti-grav spell currently in the game restricts it to a very minute area with limited effect. The Moonweight Burst would release a cloud at cursor location that affects all targets hit with reduced gravity for a limited time instead.

Speed-up

Similar to Moonweight burst, although this is a spell that grants a movespeed buff for a duration.

Grav-stop

Similar in targeting to the Moonweight burst, this spell would make anyone caught in it unable to fall for a short time.

Illuminate

Simply creates a temporary lightsource at target location.

Let me know what you think, and my apologies if this thread was made before or is in the wrong section.

djchrisblue likes this.