1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for every class combined.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Venom, May 11, 2013.

1. Venom

Venom Pangalactic Porcupine

Since we have one for bandits and Han-D I figured it would be easier to have a general thread where people can
    discuss every class available so far. And with this compile some information about every specific class that might need some tweaks or changes. Discuss!

I made some points myself first but let's see what others think of it.

Miner:- As a non-ranged class I think the class itself is very underwhelming.
    - As a close combat class it should have a lot more starters HP than the bandit/commando.
    (Starters HP for miner is 118 while bandits have 115, barely any difference).

Han-D :
    - Healing drones should either be stronger or replaced with a more useless (access at all time) skill.
    - First skill should be a tad faster, hitting a single mob is pretty hard to do in my oppinion.
    - Han-D should be able to jump higher than the other classes.

Bandit:
    - Fourth skill automatically targets the enemy with the lowest health in front of you and deal more damage than normal.
    - Second skill should stun enemies hit with the bomb.
    - First skill should shoot a shotgun blast that slows enemies.
    - First should be able to held down like every other class.
    - First skill should be as strong as the commando's first skill 140% dmg since it's just as fast.
    - Should be able to jump slightly higher than other classes.

Comando:
    - Second skill should have a longer cooldown as it's probably the best mobbing skill due to a horizontal range.
    - Suppresive fire should shoot in the direction you shoot in and nowhere else. (Or make it an option).
    - Should be able to run slightly faster than other classes.

Please comment on the things I took from the other threads and the own things added.
    Tell me why it should be changed or shouldn't be changed. If enough agree i'll change it.

Restarter000 likes this.
    • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I've noticed that as you get better at the game, it doesn't feel as unbalanced as one might expect.

(This isn't a criticism, but I find it kind of funny that the Commando looks like the player character from Fishbane to me. Also, how is 'HAN-D' pronounced?)

I feel that HAN-D's hat looks more like a head than its head does while playing. Of course, this is just my opinion.

The only other thing that stuck out to me was that the Miner's 2 has a cooldown of 8. This bothered me, as there's a good reason as to why you can charge it up less than all of the way. My suggested alteration would be to make the cooldown dependant upon how much the bar was filled. (1-24% of bar filled for cooldown of 4, 25-49% for 5, 50-74% for 6, 75-99% for 7, and 100% for 8. Letting it go off automatically seems to deal a lot more damage than 99%, and if it doesn't I was going to suggest it anyway.)

The Miner is the class I'm best with, so I know a good lot about his/her intricacies. Why do you think it's an underwhelming class? It has two moves that cause immunity, and a double jump.
      I'm not quite sure why you would want to have more health, as he/she is very agile.
      Healing drones also attack enemies, so they aren't as useless as they may seem. Although, one drone per kill is a bit scarce, I'll agree there.
      The first and fourth skills are slow because of the third one.
      I don't really understand the reasoning behind that third suggestion, so I'll just leave it alone. It might be right, or it might be mistaken.
      I haven't played the bandit yet, so I'll get back to you on that. But I will say that the Commando's first ability deals 70% damage per shot, and shoots twice, not 140%.
      I dissagree with the first one, since it doesn't seem to do enough damage to warrant a cooldown increase. It deals 230% damage to all enemies it hits, passing through targets. If you increase the cooldown, you might also need to increase the damage. Although, I've noticed that this ability makes tiny imps extremely easy to take out.

Suppressive fire is the Commando's crowd control move, it's supposed to push away enemies that get too close. I've noticed that it tends to choose to fire in one or two directions in an unpredictable way, regardless of whether or not there's an enemy behind him/her.

I hope I didn't come off as harsh. I mean no offense, and love that you are trying help balance the game.

One final note, as a guideline to people who find balance oddities in the game, don't suggest a change unless you know why it's odd.

Venom likes this.
      • Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

The Commando's basic attack may have less DPS, but as the game goes on, it gets better (and more comparable to the Bandit's basic) because you have two chances to proc on-hit chance items such as the Ukelele, Lens Maker's Glasses, etc.

I assume you're referring to how there are some unreachable areas on the maps. Han-D's Overclock is getting a change so it gives movement speed, and the Bandit's invisiblity thing already does. These movement speed boosts are both enough to reach all and any platform (I've tried with Bandit already.)

Everything else I either agree with or the guy above me covered. Especially the part about the Bandit's basic attack; having to mash Z gets kind of annoying.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

On that note, I think that the shotgun blast could potentially do knockback instead of slow.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

But hang on, with the Bandit's first skill, do you mean the grenade or his basic attack? Upgrading his basic attack like that sounds like a massive balancing issue. For the grenade, I can see why you'd say that, but the main point in not having a shotgun is probably so the Bandit doesn't turn into a Commando knock-off.

Having Han-D as a favourite character and having reached stage 5 or so with him with 60 minute runs, I can say that the drone ability is already fine as it is. There need not be any more tweakings for it, or else it would become severely overpowered. His basic attack speed is fine; it both deals massive damage and adds to the 'slow, but bulky and hard-hitting' feel of the class. Also the Overclock ability can increase it, and increasing the starting rate of fire to begin with would feed the Overclock too much.

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

Can it be altered so the bandits next attack from stealth has the stunning quality? This might not necessarily be the flavor for a bandit so much a sniper but being able to stun with the dynamite would help tons (and it would be like throwing the smoke bomb hehe).

Give miner two procs on his basic attack. He dual wields pickaxes and the double procs would actually go a long way to boosting him to the level of the commando.

• Lost in Nowhere

Lost in Nowhere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He probably suggested it because HAN-D is quite a bit taller than the other characters.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

You're forgetting about that chest in the bottom right of the dried lake and how the commando can't reach it.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

All classes can reach it, and it's not always there. The Commando and the Miner can reach it just by using their 3. There is a secret way to reach it that is secret.
                    There's an invisible ladder that goes through the ground above it.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Heh, love the "Not a secret anymore". I didn't know that, excuse me. *disappears in a puff of smoke*