Suggestion: Trees ( not grow option )

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mariothedog, May 25, 2016.

?

Do you think this should be implemented

1. Yes!

2. No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mariothedog

mariothedog Intergalactic Tourist

Hi is it possible to stop trees from growing or a future updata where you can stop trees from planting seeds ?

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Why would you want to stop trees from growing? You need wood! And oxygen! And an excuse to still have an ax!

Megzzzx likes this.
      • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Yeah but you could plant them yourself and keep it less messy.X3

That being said it's a part of the game and I don't think that such a large chunk of the management would be taken out.

• MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I don't think I would want them to stop spreading seeds/saplings... yeah, maintaining a clean space can be tedious, but if you set aside a day every now and then for what I call yard work, it's not too big of a deal. You get wood, seeds for making the field snacks (if you still depend on them, even if not, still nice to have another source of energy. I think it should be left as is.

• TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the idea of being able to turn off the seed dropping on trees, for no other reason than I had a playthrough where I had my fruit trees lining my lumber area as decoration and I had to constantly go through and check to make sure no seeds had fallen to prevent my fruit trees from maturing.

• ChaosAzeroth

Personally ((adding)) I don't have a problem with it I just don't think it is likely.

((As far as fruit tress go I think I missed out on completing the CC by the time grandpa shows up just because those jerks are so temperamental and things just have to crowd the crap out of them so I wish they were different in general...))

• TheMediocreMrRook

As far as the community center goes, I chose the fruit bats explicitly so I could complete those bundles earlier without trees.

I think the best solution, though, would be once a tree is fully grown that it takes up a 3x3 area that nothing else can be placed in; some of them have art that's wider at the base than the 1x1 area they currently occupy. Or just have fruit trees mature even if something manages to creep into their personal space.

• MoonlitBrenya

I guess if it were to be set up as a choice, I don't see why not, I might even find myself using it. As it stands now, however, I don't mind it like it is.

• ChaosAzeroth

I have fruit bats too but it's the 5 apples. I have gotten all of 0 apples and I check every day. They very rarely even drop any, and 95% or more is forage stuff like the spice berry and blackberries.

• benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry to deviate from the topic like this, but this fruit bat cave, does it have any schedule or something? I mean, with the mushroom one you get guaranteed 6 every 3 days, but sometimes I go days without any fruit. And most of the time I only get like, a single salmonberry or blackberry.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I just make sure there's nothing near enough to creep in while they're maturing and then place cobblestone path around them once they have matured.

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

its more or less random. I usually only check it once a week. I find if i dont pick stuff up, it often stays on the ground so at the end of the week I might have some fruit down there that I had ignored through the week.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

If it operates on the same rules as foraging, then, yes, they accumulate until the end of the week and then anything you didn't collect gets reset away.

• TheMediocreMrRook

I think the apple tree is the only fruit tree I planted my first summer.
                              They don't reset, they can accumulate until you run out of floor space. Mushrooms are worth more money, IF you check regularly. Which I never remember to do. My laziness/forgetfulness, combined with a desire to complete bundles faster (there are significantly more fruit bundles than mushroom ones, and finding the necessary mushrooms in normal gameplay is much easier) made choosing fruit bats worth it for me.
                              Trees take two years to fully mature now, though. And like I said, I was stupid one play through and used my fruit trees as a decorative border for my normal tree area.

• MoonlitBrenya

trees take 2 years?? My apple tree I planed in this most recent save didn't take that long. I planted near the end of spring year one and by the end of the fall, I had apples..

• MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

You can keep them from spreading by placing objects, flooring, crops, or planting grass.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

• TheMediocreMrRook

A tree grows to fruit bearing in a month, but after that for every year the area around it is kept clear the fruit it makes will go up in quality. It takes two years and a month to go from planting the sapling to gold star fruit.

ssokolow likes this.
                                      • MoonlitBrenya

oh well to hit the gold star level, yeah, but if you're talking just to get the apples for the CC bundle, then first season it's mature enough to grow friut. I try, fail most times, but try to get the tree in the ground in enough time to give me three apples before fall is over. In my current game, I am pushing really hard to finish the CC before Spring year 2.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Huh. So I guess my choice is either to cut down and relocate my tapper farm for two years, babysit the left-most column of fruit trees once I remove the cobbles, or just say "this is BS" and do my first ever save file edit.

(Seriously, as a UI/UX designer, I consider the "I'll just let you figure out that you did something wrong" behaviour of fruit trees to be a flat-out bug and that working around knock-on effects of said bug is not cheating in the slightest. I won't be getting a summer fruit harvest until year 3 because the behaviour of the "can't plant that there" dialog suggested that they would grow when surrounded by cobblestone after it let me plant them with the cobbles pre-placed.)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
                                            ChaosAzeroth likes this.