1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Stormy's Quick Guide on Hosting a Modded 1.0 Server (Steam Dedicated/Workshop)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by StormySunrise, Jul 23, 2016.

1. StormySunrise

StormySunrise Big Damn Hero

So my friend and I wanted to host a SB game that was modded and on steam dedicated
    Finding no comprehensive guides ive tried to work this out by experimenting.
    WARNING
    Your situation may differ, this is what worked for me and my friend
    Step1: Locate your Steam Workshop Mods for Starbound
    [​IMG]

Step2: Open each Folder and copy the .pak file into your Starbound Mods Folder (rename the pak files as far as I know there is no problem with them)
    [​IMG]

Step3: Create another copy of Starbound
    [​IMG]

Step4: Launch Starbound Dedicated Server through Steam
    [​IMG]

Step5: Open Starbound through the copied folder
    [​IMG]

Now here is where our paths may diverge, I hosted using Evolve Virtual Network, but im assuming my method should work for Pretty People who Port Forward
    Step5.5: For your friends you need to take all your .pak files you renamed and give them to your friend to put in their mods folder
    [​IMG]

Step 5.6: Your friend needs to launch SB from the folder, not through steam to connect
    Step6: Proof Of Success
    [​IMG]

2. djriful

djriful Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. StormySunrise

StormySunrise Big Damn Hero

To be fair I have about 0 experience in hosting so I wouldn't have known how to make the mods automatically update, but I will try your instructions tomorrow. However the last part of your post has me slightly confused, I'm fairly sure you meant "run the server exec from the copied folder (because atm universe lock error will appear if running both server and client)

4. djriful

djriful Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Inside your starbound directory there should be win32 or win64 and inside those folders one of them you can launch the server from there. So you can still use the same steam account to run your client game. Because of steam can only allow one instance of the game in one session.