Modding Help [Storm] Character Voices

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Svered, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Svered

Svered Astral Cartographer

So I'm working on making a mod that should give each character a unique "voice" by making each character play a unique dialogue typing sound. I've got the ground work mostly worked out and can basically override the dialogue typing sound with a custom sound programmatically, and I just need to figure out how to get what character is talking which should not be that difficult if my ideas are correct. That being said, I'm not all that good with audacity/audio stuff, so here's where I'd like some help. If any of you guys are familiar with those programs and can create a good set of ~.1 second .wav files for each character I can pack those into .xnb files and complete my mod.

Undreamed and keyten like this.
    • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

That is amazing job. I have seen a thread about character voices somewhere deep in the forums and some people from there will surely help you.

• Svered

Yeah now at the very least I can get the character when you're in a direct dialog. Might not work 100% since I only tested for like 10 minutes but it worked for talking to Linus and Alex. So yeah that was easier than I though. Direct dialog seems to work fine and I can get it to correctly load voices for individual characters and it should use the default audio for typing otherwise. If I can get voices for all the characters I can release it to the wider world and people can test it and tell me if/when it has issues.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
        • JasonFreeYT

JasonFreeYT Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any ideas for how high or how low the tones should be? I would gladly help as much as i can!

• Svered

Video (Turn down your volume I made them chirp):

• JasonFreeYT

Good job for finding out how to do it! but the sounds are way to fast, so it makes for a pretty annoying sound after a while, probably add a few miliseconds of nothingness just so it doesn't sound too disorienting.

• Svered

Basically I want them to fit each of the characters. If you have an idea of how a specific character is supposed to sound (generally) and can make a .wav file of that sound, I will gladly incorporate it, but I personally don't have strong opinions. I'd rather have this incorporate what the community feels are fitting voices. And it doesn't have to be a solid tone. I mess around with the effects and stuff it audacity to get interesting sounds to use at this point. Hell, I could probably use straight up voice clips if need be.

And yeah it is annoying buts that's just how the game is playing the sound. You could probably add nothingness to the beginning and end of the .wav file to space it out but I was just testing and ended up with ungodly raptor people.

• JasonFreeYT

Well first of all, if you were to make the files voice clips, it'd take like, i don't know, 30-70 mb per character, and since there are 28 characters, well, it'd take too long to download, and i guess i'll see what i can do with the voices

• Svered

What I mean by voice clips is basically cut a short audio snippet of a character talking out of the show and use that as the sound so we get something like a real voice, not use actual voice clips to create actual dialog.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, just like in Undertale.
                      Here are some examples.

Attached Files:

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

How about this one? My proud work.

Attached Files:

• Svered

So I posted a release thread under the Audio release subforum. Go ahead and try it out yourselves with your own sounds and share if/when you encounter issues.