RELEASED [Storm] and [SMAPI] TimeSpeed Mod--Configurable Day Lengths

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by cantorsdust, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Proxiehunter

Proxiehunter Void-Bound Voyager

The instructions in the first post instruct to:

And I've encountered other games (such as Terraria) where certain mods were for some reason designed to work only with the Steam version so I thought it would be a good idea to double check. Thanks. I have it working now and it's working great.

• Pianobeats

Pianobeats Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi, so for the SMAPI version how does this affect NPC behavior if I set the tick rate to less than 7?

• cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

That's a good question. I was testing NPC schedules today with the mod, here's what I've found:

NPCs are generally scheduled to begin an action at a certain time. They will start the action, then usually have a location to hang out at until the next one. I have followed Shane around for an entire day at 1/4 normal speed. He did indeed perform his entire schedule exactly as defined in Content\Characters\schedules\Shane.xnb.

The only change in NPC schedules will be that because they are walking at the same speed, they will take more or less relative time to reach their destinations if you speed up or slow down time, respectively. For example, Shane is set to leave his house at 7:00 AM to go to work. At normal game speed, he reaches the main square of the town around 8:30 and reaches Joja Mart around 9. If time is set to 1/4 normal speed, he'll reach the main square around 7:20 (20 minutes instead of 90 minutes, consistent with time moving 4 times slower) and arrive at work quite early. But it's still the same schedule.

So long as NPCs have enough time to walk to their next destination and "catch up" before they have to leave for somewhere else, I suspect there would not be any issue. Too fast, and they might not get to where they need to go before the next command fires. I do not know what happens in that scenario.

In summary, slowing down game time seems unlikely to cause significant problems. It may make NPCs seem like they are heading home sooner than usual--they're not, it's just taking them less relative time to get home. Speeding up game time could be problematic if it were too fast. I have not done much testing on very fast game speeds.

edit: This is for both Storm and SMAPI versions, btw.

• N1nj4R4bb1D

N1nj4R4bb1D Aquatic Astronaut

Just an idea/question/suggestion since you already made FreezeInside and TimeSpeed mods... would it be possible to set different time scale for interior locations and exterior locations instead of outright freezing time in inside locations (e.g. 14s per tick outside and 20s per tick inside)!?

• cantorsdust

Yes, it is currently possible. At some point I may merge FreezeInside and TimeSpeed mods into a larger time control mod. For now I'm waiting for better in game config options for that.

• themaddoctor

themaddoctor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ok im stupid when it comes to editing the config files. i have a few questions
              1.normally how long is a 1 day?
              2. what is the time on a tick in this game? like is a tick every sec or every 5 secs?
              basicly if a day is like 25mins rl time i want to change it to like 35 or 40 mins in rl

• cantorsdust

As mentioned in the OP and readme, it is 7 seconds. A 10 minute tick takes 7 seconds. The setting you're changing is the length of that tick. By default, I double the length of the tick to 14 seconds from 7 seconds, and therefore double the length of day.

• themaddoctor

themaddoctor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ok now i understand thank you =)

• Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

any possibility of changing the time you wake up? would love to wake up right before the stores open at 9 daily

• cantorsdust

Believe there's a different mod for that already, Rise and Shine.

• Fourleafclov

Fourleafclov Void-Bound Voyager

Does this throw off any of the locations of people? Like maybe one person is supposed to be at the beach at 11 AM, but since you have the mod, they are there at like 9AM since the time is slowed. Does the time affect the movement speed of NPC's?

• cantorsdust

NPCs move at the same speed. Only the time it takes for them to get somewhere has changed, so their relative speed has increased. But if they're supposed to get off work and go to the saloon at 5 (Shane), they will still do that.

• Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes, but its SMAPI only :facepalm:

• Zebracakes4me

Zebracakes4me Tentacle Wrangler

Patience, friend. All will be STORM in due time. :yoda:

Drogean likes this.
                              • Fourleafclov

So they basically just move at 1/2 speed if your normal time is 7 seconds and the modded time is 14 seconds?

If so, i will totally use this. the time it takes to run around is terrible

• cantorsdust

Exactly. Real life time for movement is the same, unchanged. In game time for movement would be decreased.

• Zebracakes4me

Fourleafclov, as cantordust previously stated (and I can confirm because I use and love this mod), they don't physically walk any faster or slower. They will move at the time the game flags their action to take place. If you make your in-game take longer, they will arrive at their designation early, since the game time is taking longer. I will give an example below, please not that these times may not be accurate and just examples.

Example: Game flags Shane to leave at 7:00 AM and to designation. Let's say normal game time to arrive is 9:00 AM but next "action" is at 9: 30 AM. If you increase the time it takes for 10 minutes to pass, Shane will still leave at 7:00 AM. However, since your in-game time is longer, he might arrive at his designation by 8:00 AM. His next action will still take place at 9: 30 AM.

Hope this makes some sense...never good with time stuff...thanks Dr. Who :yeahhhh:

Edit: Remove cat faces

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
                                    • Fourleafclov

That makes a great deal more sense. Thanks, very useful

• Zebracakes4me

Glad to help. BTW, I just noticed my post had cat faces. So I updated my post to remove the the cat faces to make the times a little more clear for you, or anyone else that may read the post. :up:

• Axotl

Axotl Space Hobo

Hey Cantor - I noticed that my festival days are still running at 14 seconds, instead of defaulting back to 7. I've not made any changes to the config file (so haven't touched the changetimeonfestivaldays = false line) . Was wondering if that was intended or not during the Fall Fair? Everything seemed to work fine, but I'm definitely running at 14 instead of 7.