1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Stories - Much Ado About Nothing

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WMoose, May 2, 2013.

1. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While we are all waiting on Starbound, and as the community grows larger, I thought it would be a fun idea to share stories of gaming in general. Your first game, or the game that changed your whole view of gaming. Perhaps the revisitaton of a childhood favorite. Keep it tasteful of course. :)

I'll start with mine.

As a child, I remember a vast assortment of happy times and moments. I played a heinous amount of games, favoring the sanctity of the air conditioned interior of my room versus the harsh 105° weather of central Texas, as well as the outdoor activities that kids generally enjoy. All of those games were my companions. Being able to delve into them and be immersed in their badly scripted/translated worlds was an every day activity that I cherished.

But, there is one that was a font of unending challenge.. I still take a few hours every year to come back to it . The nostalgia and wellspring of emotions this game can (and has) evoked from me is astounding. You will probably chuckle when I reveal to you what I am speaking of.

I am not embarassed to admit it is Super Mario Brothers 3.

SMB3, is a masterpiece of platforming. It is possible to calculate how many hours I have put into this game, but that's just a boring statistic. The music itself is glorious in all its retro flair, and acts as a doorway to the memory of every moment, every jump, every bounce or item acquisition.. There was a moment of clarity for me when the day came that my skill and patience had matured enough that I was able to finish the last boss, and finally bring a close to the adventure I had set out upon.

I have this game to thank for my love for video games as a whole. The conglomeration of the efforts of he staff who created it, including Shigeru Miyamoto, had birthed the interest and curiosity in me to forever be,

A Gamer.

~Moose

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Star Wrangler

I will always think fondly of super Mario bros and other classics like it, however, I always think about all the time I spent with my brothers playing Goldeneye on N64. I think that half the enjoyment of playing a game is the company you play it with. It's always fun to share a gaming experience with great people who share your enthusiasm. :)

3. Teih

Teih Sandwich Man

One game that I keep coming back to year after year is Half-Life 1.

it is the most atmospherical game that I've ever played, with LoZ: The Wind Waker following on a close second.
    It really does make you feel like you are stranded in a research facility far underground. I don't think I can find a single bad thing to say about that game.

It's simply a masterpiece. :)

4. Tetrisash

Tetrisash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't really have an interesting story that was a 'I love games!' moment. I just simply grew up on them, starting with the Genesis. Sonic 1-3, Jurassic Park, Disney movie games. Later on it went to the PS1 (Spyro, Crash, Frogger, etc.) and the N64, which Super Mario 64 will forever remain magical to me. The handhelds, too; GB, GBC, GBA, Pokemon and Digimon games, trading with friends while waiting for the school bus.

Now I just have a Vita, 3DS, PS3, Wii, gaming PC, and I'll buy a Wii U once the library gets going on it (DEUS EX AWH YEAH). I guess notable games for me in general would be Spyro, Mario 64, Final Fantasy X, and Okami.

5. Shadow Stealer

Shadow Stealer Orbital Explorer

Clear defining moments for me in becoming a gamer are simple things. Having my mind blown away by Age of Empires and watching FF7 being played through from start to finish. Playing Half-Life. I don't really think I can pick a personal favorite though, it's far too difficult. But N64 games did get me much more into games. OOT and Goldeneye and Mario Cart were favorites of mine.

6. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

7. Ariexe

Ariexe Pangalactic Porcupine

3 words

Mother fucking Spyro

Lazypeanut likes this.
  8. Tetrisash

Tetrisash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

9. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

Being 22 now and with a dad who, in all honesty is a gaming bad ass, I have grown up surrounded by games, from the NES to the PS3, and everything in between including several full size pinball and old school arcade machines with swapable cartridges (bubble bobble woop woop!)

But my first real memories of gaming was on Mario 96 levels and Metroid for the SNES, I remember when we first got the N64 and my dad told me about Mario 64 and how amazing the graphics were, he said you could jump through paintings and that night I had a dream about Mario jumping through paintings, except in SNES graphics, I was too young to really even understand what 3D was.

So yea, I was completly blown away and my childhood was ruled by the N64, from Banjo Kazooie to Mario karts and ofcourse Golden eye.

Despite the fact that I am now a fat basement dweller, I have no complaints about my upbringing in this world of awesome games.

10. Lazypeanut

Lazypeanut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Crash bandicoot was literally my childhood, i would play all the ps1 titles all day erryday i have very fond and frustrating memories of those games.
    Playing Crash bash while getting drunk with a few friends is the best.

11. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love coming back to this at the end of the day and finding several people have shared their tidbits and stories. :D