Character/NPC Steampunk Merchant in Tiny Ice Magma Colony

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Gypsysmoke, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Gypsysmoke

Gypsysmoke Void-Bound Voyager

Apparently, all it takes is a the bed type

...and that ice must be really cold...
    2016-01-23_00006.jpg

Aroxys likes this.
  2. Gypsysmoke

And so it ends...I knew those lava depth charges were a bad sign...

2016-01-24_00001.jpg

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

... deep in a ocean of lava (or is it magma?) surrounded by thin walls of ice a brave little steampunk colonist lived for a brief period of time until his life was snuffed out...

A sad day. That said, that may be the worst location in the universe to settle, especially when the primary building material is ice.

Gypsysmoke likes this.
  4. Gypsysmoke

Fantastic privacy and it all would of been fine if it weren't for those exploding lava (or is it magma) fish!

I'll need to drill deeper on this planet before setting up again...

5. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

At the very least, go below the 'underground' point. It'll save you a lot of headaches. Then again, meteors could be a special 'to heck with you' weather that just sail down an infinite depth until they finally hit something. Next time, I'd recommend encasing your structure in a thick layer of magmarock or obsidian, three or four blocks thick. So far as I know, it's resilient enough to withstand meteor strikes while also ensuring the explosions don't punch holes in your structures.

Ideally you'd want to mine out the dead core of a moon, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible as of right now. Even Diamond Drills and the max power Matter Manipulator can't mine out the stuff.

Ralij and Gypsysmoke like this.
  6. Gypsysmoke

I really wish I could mine out the core of a moon...

I'm working on fixing this (slowly), doing basically what you've suggested (using obsidian as the outer layer) and widening the space to the width of the island where I beam down. It seems that the meteor's (or whatever they are that blew a whole in the first structure...you can see one in the upper right section of the second picture) fall, slowly, straight down through the magma and explode when they hit something...not sure if that's what meteor's do when they hit magma or if these are something else.

I haven't been hit yet with the new design. I'll post a picture of it when I finish fixing it (I need to mine more obsidian).

7. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

That was one brave... err crazy steampunker to live there! Alas, his incredible bravery and spirit will be remembered for all time.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Il add his name to the great monument i have built for npc's that died needlessly in Starbound. Hmm... not that much name space left on this planet...

Ralij likes this.
  9. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I have a list of one's that like inviting poptops over for dinner if you need more names for that. I would recommend at least a solar system though.

10. Gypsysmoke

Much more secure (this structure goes all the way from the bottom to the surface - 22 rooms to fill) and he has customer's now!
    2016-01-27_00009.jpg

Aroxys likes this.
  11. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks good. Any issues with meteor strikes, or have they not yet come around again?

Gypsysmoke likes this.
  12. Gypsysmoke

No issues so far, though I haven't spent a lot of time down there since I set it up.