Tool Steam Workshop Mod Loader

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dunto, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunto

Dunto Guest

This tool was removed and is no longer supported as it does not use any method deemed official by Chucklefish for loading Steam workshop mods.

If your workshop mods do not load as expected, please make a post in the Support Forum or send an email to contact@chucklefish.org.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Nessus

Nessus Void-Bound Voyager

It's working completely fine, though I had to do a bit of editing due to having installed Python 3 and my Steam folder being in a folder called Game Files.

Thanks for adding the commented out stuff, as otherwise I'd have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to specify alternate paths.

Dunto likes this.
  3. benjwgarner

benjwgarner Aquatic Astronaut

My Steam is installed in Program Files (x86) so I had to change %PROGRAMFILES% to %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%, but other than that it worked perfectly, thank you!

Dunto likes this.
  4. Bruhmis

Bruhmis Void-Bound Voyager

when I run the script I get this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D :\Shell\Desktop\stbm.py", line 79, in <module>
    for entry in os.listdir(STEAM_STARBOUND_WORKSHOP_PATH):
    WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'D :\\Steam\\steamapps\\workshop\\content\x89820/*.*'

this x89820 folder isn't specified anywhere in the script. I have no idea why it's searching for it.

5. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Move it to the same drive where Steam is installed and try running it again.
    --- Post updated ---
    That's good to know, thanks! I'll look at trying to detect for the proper Program Files folder since a lot of people are going to have x64 Windows and will probably run into this issue.
    Edit: I think I have a fix for the Program Files folder detection issue, but I'll have to test it first.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  6. chrisgbk

chrisgbk Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd suggest using the registry to detect other install/library locations; since, for example, I have steam itself installed in program files(x86) but my games library is on a second harddrive as e:\steamlibrary so this method would never work for me

The fast way:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\Apps\211820\Installed - contains the byte 1 if you installed Starbound through steam; if the game was copied/restored from a backup this key is not set, sometimes this key just isn't there for no reason, not really reliable, but if it exists the next key should always be valid

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 211820\InstallLocation - contains the path to Starbound; this key can be set even if the previous key isn't set. If python is running as a 32 bit process and steam/starbound are 64 bit, RegOpenKeyEx will return error 2 on newer versions of windows because of registry virtualization, and you'll need to re-call with KEY_WOW64_64KEY or'd with samDesired (or if python is running as a 64 bit process and steam/starbound are 32bit, you have to use KEY_WOW64_32KEY instead, but I don't consider this likely)

If that method doesn't work due to lack of registry keys, the foolproof way is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\SteamPath - contains the path to steam

the "steamapps" subdirectory is the default steam library, which always exists, and contains the file "libraryfolders.vdf" which is a valve KeyValues file that you can parse using an available python parser for the format to find the location of all available steam libraries

if starbound is installed in a given library the file "appmanifest_211820.acf" will exist, which is another KeyValues file that will contain the "installdir" key that tells you what subfolder of the common folder of that library that starbound is installed under.

This second method can be extended to work under Linux/OSX as well, if you can determine the base steam install location.

7. Bruhmis

Bruhmis Void-Bound Voyager

I figured it out. it was because I copied the directory from windows explorer which uses forward slashes, which apparently caused the script to fail. changing them to backward slashes fixed it.

Dunto likes this.
  8. sinnin

sinnin Void-Bound Voyager

I have to say thanks for making this! I was getting super frustrated trying to get mods to work on my server. This script made it a way smoother experience, thank you again !

Dunto likes this.
  9. Delos-X

Delos-X Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry for sounding stupid, but how do I get this working? I'd like to be able to play starbound without having steam ruin my internet connection (I guess I can play offline, but still it's much easier for me launching without it). What I'm assuming is this lets you do that?

10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

This tool was removed and is no longer supported as it does not use any method deemed official by Chucklefish for loading Steam workshop mods.

If your workshop mods do not load as expected, please make a post in the Support Forum or send an email to contact@chucklefish.org.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.