1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Steam Starbound update disk write error

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Blue_Narye, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumballtoid

Gumballtoid Void-Bound Voyager

... meaning literally everything necessary to actually run the game is self-contained in that folder? I certainly hope so, considering I purged all traces of Starbound - Unstable from my Steam directory.

I'll give it a try here in a little bit.

EDIT: Ah, that's what I was afraid of -- the game closes immediately upon startup. I suspect this has to do with the lack of first-time setup in this case. I'll see what I can dig up from my recycle bin.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. x567

x567 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    mod is not loading problem culprit is sbboot.config error

lazarus78 likes this.
  3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

So basically, what we need to do is the following to get the Nightly to run;

1. Delete all contents in the "Starbound - Unstable" Folder
    2. Copy all contents from the "steamapps/downloading/367540/" folder into the "Starbound - Unstable" folder
    3. Play the game

And to make mods work, we do;

1. Open "sbboot.config" from the folder we choose to play the game from (32, 64, Linux, OSX)
    2. Change the line "storageDirectory" : "../storage/" to "storageDirectory" : "../storage/mods/"
    3. Move all mods to the "/storage/mods/" folder

I like how simple these methods are. Easy to do, easy to understand. I just hope it gets fixed soon so we don't need to do this workaround every time it breaks lol. Good find x567!

Sailo likes this.
  4. Sailo

Sailo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do this, this works perfectly! ty i can now play my broken fluff avianX3

5. Gumballtoid

Gumballtoid Void-Bound Voyager

That's strange. I tried this method and the game closes immediately upon startup. Is there perhaps a step I'm missing?

EDIT: I copied sbboot.CONFIG from my stable Starbound folder, changed the storage and mod directories, and the game at least ran. Trying to select a (new) character caused it to crash.

EDIT 2: Found starbound.log and had a look-see.
    Code:
    [07:44:20.210] Error: Application exception thrown, shutting down: (ConfigurationException) No such configuration entry 'inventory.pickupToActionBar'
    I may have just found my problem.

EDIT 3: Perfect! Declaring that configuration fixed things up. So far, the game runs perfectly.

If anyone is having trouble getting the game to launch after the aforementioned steps, make sure you have a sbboot.CONFIG with that configuration included.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

When I booted Steam this morning, the game finally downloaded without the Disk Write Error. It's finally been fixed!

lazarus78 likes this.
  7. Malicus

Malicus Void-Bound Voyager

Can confirm. I downloaded the nightly shortly after it was released last night and still had the disk write error, but this morning it went through fine.

8. Sailo

Sailo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will also confirm that the nightly disk write error is fixed. I had to delete local content and reinstal the nightly. all is nice and snug now :3

jakecool19 likes this.
  9. aWolfen

aWolfen Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm.
    Something is still wrong for me, at least. I can successfully download the update, yes, and it's playable on the 64-bit version, but the 32-bit version closes immediately upon launching.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Check your log.

11. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The 32-bit version has a different configuration from the 64-bit version, so it may be missing config parameters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.