1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Steam Starbound update disk write error

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Blue_Narye, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukas__lk

lukas__lk Void-Bound Voyager

Delete your Universe/Player folder in your Giraffe folder, It should fix the issuse with the "Crash on Character Selection"

2. Blue_Narye

Blue_Narye Void-Bound Voyager

All the steps I took that lead to my fixing the problem: I let Steam download the update, the update downloaded completely and then stated disk write error, I deleted the files from the Steamapps common folder by placing them in the recycling bin, I went to my Steam library to Starbound - Unstable properties and deleted all local content, I went to my recycle bin and restored the deleted Starbound - Unstable file, and went into the file for Starbound. Yours could be in a different location but normally it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound - Unstable and go to the file with your operating system on it. In that file should be 2 penguin icons one says Starbound and the other says Starbound server. Clicked on the Starbound penguin and the game launched fine and I was able to play my 2 week old character. With this way it will not bring up the launch Starbound screen but go directly to the games loading screen

I have been able to play Starbound nightly with no issues since yesterday.
    If you don't have a backup and you deleted your files through Steam's delete Local Content I don't know what to do because I always manual delete and I backup Nightly a lot. I hope this was helpful.

3. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I seem to have tricked Steam into downloading a new update. Or maybe I managed to trick myself, I'll see in a minute.

Edit: well, apparently it's a bit of both. The problem is, as usual, the OSX parts of the update, which seem to be very intent on not being present when required.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  4. Sean Mirrsen

On further experimentation (and lots of looking at the activity in ProcessMonitor), I can confirm that there is no way to make Steam acknowledge the new update. But as long as you don't try to play through the Steam frontend, you should be able to launch the game just fine by copying the downloaded files of the update into the game's own directory, overwriting any existing files, and launching directly from the starbound.exe files located in either win32 or win64 folders, depending on your OS version.

5. Malicus

Malicus Void-Bound Voyager

Oh thank god. I'm glad this isn't just me. I was a bit worried when I was having the problem yesterday (when it updated in the middle of the day?) and nobody had posted about it. Last night I even went through a 5-hour chkdsk which... yeah.

6. ODST 4900

ODST 4900 Pangalactic Porcupine

interesting, i don't seem to have one...

7. K-9

K-9 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm, having the same error, tried fixing with multiple solutions found here, none work.. running scans etc proved fruitless. Even total reinstall to both my (C: ) and ( D : ). New update(?) didnt seem to fix it, Still have the same error. Never encountered anything like this before.. Glad it isnt just me, though !

8. Sean Mirrsen

The error will persist even if you use the fix I used (that is, copying the complete update over from the "downloading" directory). You're going to have to launch the game manually, without Steam.

Launching via Steam is basically FUBAR until someone properly fixes it.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Copying the update over is still not very good because they seem to have changed the mods folder and it spit back tons of errors for me.

10. K-9

K-9 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't even launch it now, as it is stuck in the downloading folder in steam ;; it hasnt unpacked yet hahh;;

11. Blue_Narye

You open the download folder in that folder is another folder, open that folder and copy all the folders there to your Starbound folder replacing what was there originally. You can also launch from the download folder by opening the folder and going to the launch icon for your operating system. I've been playing around with different ways to get at the nightly and copying from the download is by far the easiest if you don't have mods.

12. Blue_Narye

That is a strange strange thing. It should be there in the properties when you right click on the drive. The properties screen on C:\ (or which hard drive name you have) should have 7 tabs General (starting tab), tools, hardware, sharing, security, previous versions, and quota. If you click on the properties for a DVD or CD drive it will not have a tool tab. Even my external has a tool tab in properties. Maybe your computer is just being mean and non-communicative. Mine sometime is a real see you next tuesday.

ODST 4900 likes this.
  13. Sailo

Sailo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am also having this same error an have been since yesterday. tried to delete all the files and redownload it, but the error on steam persists.

14. Sean Mirrsen

The error on Steam will persist until CF fixes the update on their end. All you can do is make the game whole and launch it without Steam.

15. lazarus78

Mods don't seem to want to work, unless they put in a requirement for them to be packed, which would be tragic...

16. Malicus

Malicus Void-Bound Voyager

The latest nightly hasn't fixed this, by the way. Oh, and this is the error I'm getting in Steam's content_log.txt, which some frenzied googling when this first started led me to:

[2016-03-08 01:15:57] AppID 367540 update canceled : Failed updating depot 367541 while creating symlink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\367540\osx\Launcher.app\Contents\Frameworks\QtCore.framework\QtCore"->"Versions/Current/QtCore" (Disk write failure)

17. ckstonge

ckstonge Void-Bound Voyager

Gumballtoid - your next step would be deleting character and universe folders - there is a walk-thru for that in the Nightly Forums. Right now they are doing a *BUNCH* of work with recipes and items, so things are changing fast and furious. Hopefully we get to see 1.0 soon!

18. Sean Mirrsen

Indeed they are. A recent change, for instance, is campfires acting as crafting stations for simple foods. Can finally cook rice and bake whole potatoes. :)

jakecool19 likes this.
  19. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

How are you guys running the nightly? My log keeps telling me;
    [20:45:46.107] Error: Application exception thrown, shutting down: (ConfigurationException) No such configuration entry 'inventory.pickupToActionBar'

I'm hating Windows 10 for this unwanted change. I wish my old computer didn't die on me, else I would go back to 7. I miss playing a broken nightly.

EDIT: I am copying the files from Steam's "Downloading" folder into the nightly folder, by the way. I can break the assets down just fine, but this config error is the only thing stopping me from playing.

EDIT 2: apparently I just had to run the 64 bit exe. 32 bit doesn't work for me. Oh well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  20. lazarus78

It seems that the Mac files are no good and its causing the whole download to hang up, however everything is there to be playable. You can copy it elsewhere and run it from the exe directly and play just fine, however I have an issue with mods not loading at all, which my saves require to be functional, so I am sticking with the last working nightly till they sort this out.

Relevant folder is ..\Steam\steamapps\downloading\367540

It has little to do with Windows 10, which I use on my main computer. I run windows 7 at work, which Ive done 90% of my playing on (Yay IT!) and still have these issues.

Blue_Narye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.