1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam is a losing combination?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zenima, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zenima

Zenima Void-Bound Voyager

I have logged over 280 hours so far and since something with steam taking over the games, all progress is lost. No characters, no mods, nothing. The folder I set up with all the mods is still there but it is untouched whenever I start the game. I want to get back to playing but I do not want to have to deal with steam... Steam workshop doesn't work in game so I can't mod.

2. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

That's so very strange. It's the opposite for me. I have played every single day since 1.0 and in multiplayer with friends without a single problem

3. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Without knowing anything it sounds like steam is launching a different installation of the game from a different directory.

4. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Or someone has the mods in the giraffe folder instead of the main starbound folder. This changed in 1.0 release.

5. Zenima

Clicking on the workshop button in mods screen does nothing. So, at the moment I can't mod starbound at all.

6. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Make sure you're launching the right Starbound. There is a separate game called Starbound - Unstable, that exists parallel to the main game. Unstable is a testing and in-dev branch, and as such might not contain any workshop items.

7. Zenima

No, it's the regular starbound, not the unstable/nightly. It even happens when I click on the icon on the desktop that I made a long time ago.

8. bkwrm

bkwrm Void-Bound Voyager

You've played since 1.0? Because they did wipe everything when they launched it. I just wanted to double check because you say "that I made a long time ago."

9. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Yeah the icon on the desktop should be the starbound logo, not a penguin.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can install mods manually the old fashioned way.
    It is not that "You can't'" mod starbound, it is just you don't want to use the alternative.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Works perfectly fine for me.

Is your Steam up to date?
    Are you launching it from the games library, and you are triple-sure you are NOT launching Unstable?
    Are your non-Workshop mods 1.0-compatible and in \starbound\mods\ and NOT \starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\?

You say you click the workshop button but "nothing happens".... I kinda question that. Are you logged in? etc.

12. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

I had a similar issue for a short while, and can confirm that if for any reason the game can't load the Steam services all mods installed through Steam will be unavailable. I was still able to use mods installed manually and to load my saves, though.

My issue fixed itself when I restarted the computer, BTW.