1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Steam Early Access

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Vantrias, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vantrias

Vantrias Tentacle Wrangler

I want to buy Starbound via Steam Early Access later when it's available.

My question: Am I able to get a non-DRM Version of Starbound with a Steam puchase?

Best regards,

2. Shadoxx-Aurion

Shadoxx-Aurion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi.
    There's no DRM-Free games on Steam. I think you will not be able to get a DRM-Free version if you buy the game with Steam.

3. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

I believe you'd have to buy it from the humble store if you want the DRM free version as well, as steam doesn't offer you DRM free versions of games.

4. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

WELL yes you would have to buy it from humble bundle to get a DRM free version

As of now there has been discussion of a DRM free version of the beta but I'm pretty sure they said it would be released.... maybe when the beta is half over (no official word)? But the only way you could buy it (DRM free version) is through humble bundle/main starbound website and definitely NOT through steam

5. It's likely the beta to release only on Steam at first stage, one non-steam version would be painful to keep updated, if they really update the game once a day, you would need to be always re-downloading the game. If they get one launcher going for be able to launch non-steam without such annoyance with updates will be great.

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the game may still be drm free (as in if you took the files and move them to a diffrent pc it would still work)
    but you would still need to download the game with steam

7. Nem3sis

Nem3sis Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think so....steam requires you to sign in to play their games,and in the steam directory,each game has it own product key that is associated with it's own account

8. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

some indie games dont,
    but i never tryed it so i cant say so for myself

9. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Most indie games don't and some old games

More games not associated with steam or indie games like you said don't need you to sign into steam in order to play them
    EX: The binding of issac

Most big name company's however rely on steam so you can download the files
    EX: you buy a game but it turns out to be a code and you must make a account on steam then redeem the code THEN use steam to download it

10. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

Not true, you can play terraria without DRM.

11. Vantrias

Vantrias Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks for the answers. :)
    I absolutley forgot about how Terraria has handled it. Now I don't have to worry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.