1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Steam Early Access for Beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Rainbow Dash, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

*No this isnt a begging for beta topic*

Are you going to have steam early access for Starbound?
    Sense there already is one for Starbound beta access already, do you think you will have it on steam for players who cannot preorder the game.

becouse if the game is going to be in a "preorder beta" and is going to be on steam, then there is no reason to Not do it right? it even makes the game open for more players to buy

if a dev could answer that be great, if not i want to hear your opinons

ps. i dont got the best grammer so dont make fun of it

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before. Not sure what the official stance on it now, but last I heard Steam Early Access wasn't necessary for Starbound.

3. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

I've heard conflicting information about SB beta being on Steam (whether on Early Access or not).

Jonesy likes this.
  4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

it cant be that hard to do, i dont see why they wouldnt

5. ZanVaelius

It's not the matter of difficulty, it's the matter of publicity. That is: whether the devs want the unfinished title be available to as much people as possible or not.

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well it already is available to everyone *through preorder*,
    It just makes it easyer for people who dont have paypal (witch is Alot of people)
    dont tell me you dont want them to have more support for there game...?

while im at it, will the starbound OST be in steam also, i must support that

7. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Greenlite isn't necessary, Early Access is confirmed to be on steam but still in development (Beta)

8. ZanVaelius

It's just that the devs have repeatedly expressed concern about the first impressions people will get with the game. Limiting the initial player base for the beta, would do wonders in that regard, as there would be tons of people who wouldn't play the game. At some point short-term money gain ceases to be a factor (From what I heard Developers have gained enough money through the pre-orders to support themselves ) and it's the long-term perspective that starts to matter. That is:
    -Do we want to limit the exposure to the game for the time being and thus have less people who can get the game undeserved bad reputation, so that we have more sales in the future;or
    -Do we want to sell as many copies of the game as possible within the short time frame and possibly get a lot of undeserved bad reputation right now that will limit our sales in the future?

Ah... nevermind then :p

9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Well its kind of hard to give out soundtracks on steam, as it is a game-based software..

10. ZanVaelius

It is possible to purchase game soundtracks via Steam

11. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Is it possible to bundle it together? Anyway, the soundtrack shouldn't be given separately on steam, as it is supposed to be a pre-order thing. Also, because the game itself has the soundtrack inside of it, and you can easily access it.

12. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

there are meny OSTs on steam, super meat boy, Civ 5, faster thing light, just to name a few

ninjaed =p

yes its easy to bundle together
    and the soundtrack is already advilible to buy right now, its just you get it for free if you preorder
    and if the soundtrack is coded into the games DAT files insted of just mp3 files in the games foulder then it makes it alot harder to get the soundtrack unless you pay for it *or preorder*

wait... are you saying early access for starbound beta is already confirmed for steam? or that steam has early access? im confused lol

13. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

I'm confirming that they don't need to be greenlit, as in the game WILL be on steam. I don't know about early access.

14. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well thats good, now the wait for it to be C.O.Ded
    i hope it does cus it does nothing but help the game =D

15. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

C.O.Ded..?

Anyway, Starbound will have enough hype to 'break through' greenlight.

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

just remembered cod has meny meanings, i ment "Confirm Or Denied"
    and Starbound doent need greenlight, greenlight if for games without publishers, and Chucklefish is a Publisher so it doent need it

17. ZanVaelius

I can just imagine Starbound on Greenlight:
    "Minecraft/Terraria clone LOLOLOL"

18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its so good that Starbound doent need to go thou it

19. Affero

Affero Contributor

Get paypal and link it to your debit card, not that hard :p

20. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank