Steam Access Only?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Alternal, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

So this thread might be semi useless but I did not see any threads based solely on this question, so anyways:

I understand that Starbound has plans to be released on Steam, which is pretty reasonable. But personally I've had some issues with steam in the past, so what I've been wondering is, is Steam going to be the only location we can get Starbound from, or will we be able to download it from the actual playstarbound website?

2. Nolz

Nolz Pangalactic Porcupine

I guess they'll put up multiple ways to get it. They did say they would try and make the game accessible for everyone after all.

LulItsIan likes this.
  3. Kitty Box

Kitty Box Scruffy Nerf-Herder

WoxandWarf and LulItsIan like this.
  4. Alternal

Does not mean they have no plans for other release methods, but yes I have seen that, which is why I got this question.

5. Kitty Box

Kitty Box Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He said "as well as a direct download", so that would answer the question seeing as how in the OP you asked about that.

6. Alternal

Kinda missed that part, apologies. Thank you.

7. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Ah? right I missed that last part myself. The is reassuring me to say the least. Not that I dont like steam ( or at least I do not hate it completly) but being able to boot up a game offline and without going trough third party program is something I consider a basic right of the gamer, one that is being dragged in the mud a lot these day.

Gunslinger and Alternal like this.
  8. Alternal

This was exactly my concern. Not only this but Steam's need to update itself a ridiculous amount is annoying.

9. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I wonder if you'll get to have both the direct download copy AND the steam copy. As in, will I technically have two copies of the game-- one to use while offline without steam that doesn't automatically update, and also another to take advantage of the Steam network? With the way it is worded, it sounds like we'll get both...

10. Alternal

Even if it didn't autoupdate, I'd still be happy to play it without a third party.

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

I'd specifically want a copy that doesn't auto-update. It's one of the things I dislike most about Steam, actually.

12. DeadlyLuvdisc

Sometimes you just want to sit down and play. I'd rather update when I'll be AFK, rather than sitting and waiting for it to update before I can play.

13. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My steam install likes to run updates while I'm off doing other stuff. Then again, I leave it running 100% of the time rather than just opening it to launch steam titles.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I wish I could do that, but my computer is so bad that as soon as I open Steam or launch a steam game that's all it can handle, nothing else.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  15. DeadlyLuvdisc

One time I tried opening notepad to jot down some info while playing, and my computer died from trying to switch windows.

DevonDe likes this.
  16. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...It maaaaay be time for an upgrade. Or at least an OS reinstall.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  17. DeadlyLuvdisc

I did an OS reinstall, and I think the problem runs deeper than that. I just need a new computer, and I know it.