Staves need more attention!

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by shinyarceus4, Dec 28, 2015.

1. shinyarceus4

shinyarceus4 Pangalactic Porcupine

Title is pretty self-explanatory. As it stands, staff weapons are woefully underrepresented; they basically don't exist in the early game, since the only way to get most of them is with rubium/cerulium. The solution, frankly, is obvious; adding procedural generation to staffs would allow them to show up in chests at all tiers, alongside ranged and melee weapons. What are you guys' thoughts?

BillMcD likes this.
  2. Fairy Pinkett

Fairy Pinkett Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly would enjoy this, maybe the staff could experiment with a huge variety of 'spells' the staffs could create.
    Maybe enable barrier ones (When used a barrier forms aka a wall at the area.) and such.
    Or simple stuff like 'freeze' enemies. Not doing dmg, but freezing them in place so you can move. (Which you can either run after doing, or switch to a weapon and just blast the bajeebus out of them.)
    Or 'growth' enabling plants that you've planted to grow instantly after the staff is used on it.

Multiple uses - but only if you can FIND these items. Not craft able ones.

I'd also like a super rare powerful late game one that passive is basically a supernova.
    Where it absorbs and draws everything in an area to it (Items, blocks, ground, creatures, player included.) Then explodes dealing massive damage to all units.
    Only the tankiest and bulkiest armor should survive its base dmg. (Maybe give it a 'break' feature.)
    After three uses the item breaks, and you have to repair it with items you find throughout your journey.
    Make weapons have a wear and tear system to them.

3. Aristocrit

Aristocrit Seal Broken

Would be an amazing implementation to the game and all magic users. Procedurally generated staves are cool.

4. Derpislav

Derpislav Big Damn Hero

There are already staves in chests, I've found a boulder-spawning one. But yes, they're very basic now.
    And half of the end-game ones aren't even useable, the petal storm hits nothing unless you set it off in the dead center of a large mob, the human staff... has a large blast radius but always flies at 90 degrees to the ground, which makes hitting anything other than a wall surprisingly hard... The game breaker could be used if it wasn't just meh...
    And then there's the Avian staff, which spawns an AoE crystal dealing some serious damage for a rather long duration, making it one of the best utility items late in the game.

???
    Yes, I do nothing but complain in my every post.

5. Aristocrit

Aristocrit Seal Broken

Staves in chests? Since when?

6. Derpislav

Derpislav Big Damn Hero

The one I've found is a "boulder staff". I didn't pay much attention to it so I don't remember, but I think I've found it on a cold planet, in the mountain (alpacas and stuff) biome. I vaguely recall testing it next to an alpaca hut, so it was probably in an aboveground chest.

Shino-hime likes this.