Stating the not so obvious!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Bormac, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Bormac

Bormac Starship Captain

I know i suggested dragons previously. But I feel I ought to make another suggestion.. sort of a counterpoint to dragons. They could be hostile wild animals..friendly or hostile npc's or even a player race!
    I am talking about, griffins of course! A nice bit of mythology that goes quite well with dragons! Heck they could even be sort of..at war with one another. That could be interesting. You know the deal, typically, half lion half eagle. You could have various breeds too..half tiger half condor? Half panther, half crow? Really just mix and match..would keep things from looking samey.
    just sort of rattling off ideas here. But perhaps Choosing them as a race for your charecter could be locked till you found them in game and sided with the dragons, or the griffins.. then when you make a new critter you get the option of using one of them!
    Either way, yeah, another quadraped race. I'm really hoping we get some quadrapeds in this. Could get really interesting using them in the game. A different way to play..perhaps with advantages and disadvantages over the two legged variety.. like.. they can use their forelimbs for weapons and items but only if they aren't moving, but they run faster, jump further. Heck dragons and griffins could fly naturally. Though I'm sure everyone gets jetpacks or something anyway so it isn't like it is that big of an advantage. Just.. an interesting playstyle!
    Anyway..there's my two cents. Rather tired now so, hopefully it was coherent!

2. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds an awfully like this should fit in a fantasy based game. it also seems to lack any real Sci-fi backing. Now if they were crazy mutants that happen to look like dragons or gryphons at a passing glance then sure roll with it. But how are you going to build anything with out thumbs or hands, why would any of the NPC's join you, why would you throw away the chance to use some awesome technology? Hell your throwing most of the game away at that point.
    Now If your just playing some sort of Humanoid Chimera that sprayed fire out of its mouth than sure that would be okay. I would love to Play as some Alien that had the arms of a gorilla, head of a snake, digitigrade legs. But to not use any of the equipment I find, board a ship, and ride a mech would seriously turn me off from playing it.

3. Bormac

Bormac Starship Captain

Well now your thinking that humans would be the only thing in space, Or humanoid things. And that would make for kind of a boring game. Anyway, as I see it, the forelimbs could function just fine as hands. They'd just need to be sitting at the time, and its plenty easy to sit and pilot a space ship, you aren't running around after all. Any time you really need hands and feet, generally you could be immobile to use them. Simple work around either way.
    Anyway, even fantasy settings have technology. Why eventually they'd hit the space age, too.
    Why would they join you? Why not? I think it would be a pretty boring game if it was you against the galaxy. There would never be a different encounter than, "Oh hey, look something new, let's kill it." Hack and Slash gets very repetitive and boring after awhile. Some room for allies and diplomacy. And maybe helping different factions achieve their own ends could help you in a round about way. Like, them coming to help you if the space station comes under attack, recusing you if your space ship gets shot down, etc.
    Not sure where you got throwing away your game, honestly. But your welcome to your opinion. I just think you need to think a bit outside the box. Not everything in space has to have 2 arms 2 legs a torso and a head. There's all sorts of anatomy out there that could be done. I think the four legged variety is a pretty simple concept, compared to some of the more alien ideas that are around.

4. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

Fans of Diablo games disagree with the "Hack and Slash gets repetitive" but i agree with you in varied gameplay and, there can be other intelligent(as the same kind of us) species who followed a different pattern of evolution than our own. If it had stimulation to develop their brains and ways to manipulate their environment, then it's very possible to a dragon-like species to exist somewhere... and since they are in space-age level of technology, they would have specific machines for their own bodies. Also, it's not why a technology is not instantaneously ready for use that it can't be taken for a station, researched and adapted.

Contact with various species can generate some sort of generic technology, perhaps nano-based, adapting itself to the user...

I also like the idea of unlocking new starting options to the game as you go around exploring the universe. It makes the game fresh with exploration and also don't overwhelm the player with a lot of different choices at start.

Bormac likes this.
  5. Bormac

Bormac Starship Captain

I was a big fan of Diablo but, it did have alot of variety in its hack and slash, with alot of skills, classes and places to hack and slash. Which, I can assume Starbound will have, but even with all that. I think the games lifespan would increase dramatically if you had alot more available than just slashing your way through all the species you encounter. And, yeah, that is what I was thinking.. unlocking more races to start as would be really cool. Especially if the different races had strengths and weaknesses. And made for different game play styles.

6. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or I could play as a slime or a squid. It might be the fact I'm not that found of dragons in the classical sense. I'd would rather face off against if they reached Lovecraft dimensions, like 6-8, or 2-6 wings, A Prime number of eyes that are not 2, multiple tales. Something terribly unique.

7. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

And that's the main point: it's a sandbox game. We can play any game as we want, not as the developers had in mind, but sandboxes embrace this idea and say: "Here's the game space, here are the tools and here are the tools to make other tools. Have fun with it!"

So, no problems about species that CAN'T go to space, or can't jump or don't have legs. Just please put that information in a "weakness" part of the species information and we are set.