1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Starting server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by andreaslv99, Dec 4, 2013.

1. andreaslv99

andreaslv99 Void-Bound Voyager

I can't seem to start the server anyway. I would really like to use a VPN, like hamachi.
    Molly's "tutorial" didn't prove quite helpful eighter. I found the starbound_server.exe file, and I run it.
    Inputting my VPN ip. Nope.

It says this: Client connect failed. Error connecting to xx.xxx.xxx.128 port 21025.
    And don't tell me to not use a VPN. I want to use my VPN.

PS. Port forwarding is confusing :p

2. EXCU

EXCU Tentacle Wrangler

Don't use a VPN, instead host it on your machine and go to 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (whatever it says on the back of your router.)
    you must know the password for the next part.. go to port forward and click TCP/UDP and then put the port in.
    Hit save and just give people "youraddress:21025"

I just do not know if it works with Hamachi, I apologize.

3. Justown

Justown Big Damn Hero

make sure your connecting to your external IP address not internal IP Address when using a external VPN Client. cause it will not find the host.

4. andreaslv99

andreaslv99 Void-Bound Voyager

That means what? Dunno whats the difference.

5. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

More information is needed about your setup. Where is the host, logically, in relationship to you? In other words, describe your network.

When using VPN connections, you should be attempting to connect to the VPN interface's IP address of the host machine. This is not the same as their internet IP address or their internal LAN address. Starbound should work across a VPN like Hamachi. It doesn't care what network interfaces you have or how the data gets there.