1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Start up Resolution woes :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blank_9, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Blank_9

Blank_9 Void-Bound Voyager

For some reason everytime I load the game the resolution is wrong and looks terrible.

I go into a save file and change everything to the correct settings, sleep and save. As soon as I reload its all messed up again as soon as it reaches the title.

Any ideas how to fix this? its driving me nuts. I tried deleting everything and starting again from scratch, loads perfectly fine first time (correct res but windowed), but second time onwards its all messed up again.

Could it be something with the steamcloud sync? Or something my nvidia card is doing? I even tried deleting my startup preferences and removing all my save files. I have now tried disabling steam cloud sync, still not fixed.

I have also tried toggling "disable display scaling on high dpi settings" in the compatibility tab of the exe.

I can alt enter to get it into a windowed mode and alt enter again to get it into a windowed borderless. If i save and exit then it will load in a window borderless but my framerate is really poor. Likewise if i go in and set it back to fullscreen and correct; on start up its back to the high res mess.

Just uninstalled Nvidia Geforce experience as well as that can effect resolution of games and it hasnt helped either.

I definitley believe it is the default resolution of my full screen setting that is wrong. Is there an ini i can redefine the full screen default res in?

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Splatsch

Splatsch Space Hobo

Hello !
      Well, I think I've got the same kind of issue so I'll describe my situation here. I posted about it in the GOG's forum here : https://www.gog.com/forum/stardew_v...lution_1920x1080_doesnt_keep_resolution/post1

In short, whatever is the fullscreen resolution I choose (let's say 1920x1080 since it's my desktop one), after leaving the game, it automatically "switch" to a display of a fullscreen resolution of 1440x900 when I launch the game again. And when I go to the graphical options, I see "Fullscreen" and "1920x1080". I have to manually edit again the resolution to "confirm really" Fullscreen 1920x1080, there it switch to the good resolution. The item bar is cut in the bottom of the screen so I have to return to menu and load again my save, and voilĂ  I have the correct fullscreen 1920x1080 option working. But if I leave the game, as I said, I have to do the switch again, every time. Is there a solution ?

I'm on Win7 64 bits, with an nvidia GT440.
      I'm playing the GOG's offline version (without Galaxy).

Thanks in advance for any help ! :)

PS : and I found a file where resolution seems to be saved in the folder "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Yourname_numbers" the file with the same name as the folder, it contains the values "preferredResolutionX" (1920 for me)& "preferredResolutionY" (1080 for me). But I don't know if it can be of any help :p Hope we'll get this sorted out soon :)
      PS2 : and window borderless is excluded because of really poor framerate (in normal fullscreen, absolutely no issue concerning framerate !)
      PS3 : Oh and there's this thread who seems to encounter the same issue as us : https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/resolution-problem.135012/
      and this thread on steam : http://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/0/2119355556479961158/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
      • Blank_9

Blank_9 Void-Bound Voyager

Well its now been a year. I was hoping with the updates this issue would be resolved but its still a problem. Who do i officially contact to get help with this?

• Asthmet

Asthmet Space Hobo

Hi everyone, I seem to have found a solution to the problem! I did it on my PC and on the PC of my friend and it worked both times.

You need to access the data of the game (run %AppData% > StardewValley).
          1. First, directly in this folder, open the file "startup_preferences" and make sure that the preferred resolution is set to the resolution of your screen (for me, it was <preferredResolutionX>1920</preferredResolutionX><preferredResolutionY>1080</preferredResolutionY>).
          2. Then, go to "Saves" and do the same for each of your saved games (careful, in each folder there are 2 files to update: one with the name of your character and an _old version, I changed both just to be sure :) ). Look for <preferredResolutionX> and <preferredResolutionY> change the values to the resolution that you want.
          When you're done, start the game, load a character, quit and start again. It should now be working properly.

As for the reason why that happened, I suspect the game to save the first resolution that the character game started with and never change it. For example, I started playing on a laptop with a resolution of 1366x768 while on holiday at my parents and when I switch to my home PC with a resolution of 1920x1080, it never adapted to the new resolution and I had to change the settings everytime I booted up the game.

Hope that helps!

• Starkit

Starkit Space Hobo

Hi !

I did what you suggested but it didn't help. Here is what helped me:

when the intro screen appears, in the upper corner right is a small, ingame window sign for "windowed or fullscreen mode view" (as e.g. in word). Klick slowly twice on that to play first windowed and than fullscreen. Klicking on that icon will make the game remember the resolution - and even better ! - for all mulitplayers !

Hope that helps !
            Best wishes

• Trollerud

Trollerud Space Hobo

Hei, for me it helped to just delete the "startup_preferences" file from -run -> %AppData% -> StardewValley

• SickBoy

SickBoy Guest

Doesn't work, and the reasoning is definitely not true as mine keeps changing to a resolution that my monitor doesn't even technically support. I'll also point out that there are quite a few other settings related to fullscreen/windowed/resolution/etc. ... but changing them doesn't fix the problem either.

I've seen this pasted all over the place, and it's incorrect. Doing that puts it into borderless fullscreen, *not* true fullscreen. It's not "remembering" your resolution... it's completely changing the display mode to one that doesn't even use resolutions (since it just stretches to matches your desktop).

Doesn't work. Nor does making a completely new save, reinstalling the entire game, etc etc.