1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Starstructor, the Starbound toolset 0.7.5145.12730

Starstructor is a graphical .dungeon and .structure (ship) editor

1. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

Going down the whole "superior OS" road isn't really productive. :unsure:

And I can't see any way in which it's not fully compatible with the game. Maybe I am missing something... o_O

With that said, I too am curious about cross-platform support. Is it still on the cards, Kel^? :)

Kel^ likes this.
  2. heinermann

heinermann Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This will be fully compatible with the game, just maybe not fully compatible with your OS. I'm sure you can just toss it in a virtual machine on your "superior OS" anyway so no problem right?

I don't know how portable .NET is, but maybe this will help? http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

3. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

I was hoping to spend some time ensuring that Starstructor worked with Mono before the next build. 3.2.3 just crashes at startup - citing some winforms GDI error - and 2.10.9 starts up, but doesn't show anything after prompting the user for their assets directory. I *think* the latter is caused by Json.NET, but I'm not so sure, and I don't really have time to look into it right now, unfortunately, so for the next release, most likely not. But cross-platform support is definitely something I still want to do, it's just lower priority right now than many other features in the editor.

ejh1990 likes this.
  4. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

is there anyway i can enlarge the canvas, i created a new ship and when i upload the picture my ship is bigger than the canvas, i saw other ship made with this mod that was way bigger than the ship i created ? (my walking space is still smaller then the canvas)

5. Kel^

Enlarge the blockmap file in an external program (like mspaint) and it will enlarge in the editor.

6. ejh1990

Was that aimed at TheLastGenius or me? If it was me, just to clarify that I don't hold the "superior OS" view. Virtual machine is a no-go: I am not licensed to run Windows on a separate computer (including virtual machines). And wine is... It's being completely stubborn. Then again, I am rocking a developmental branch of Ubuntu so things like that are to be expected I guess. Oh, and I also knew about mono, but thanks for the link anyway. :)

Ooh, OK. A bit of a bummer, but thanks for the update on the mono builds. :)

In any case, it's wonderful to see this tool progressing. Nice work! :D

7. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

I may not be installing this right, but every time I try to use the program I just keep getting a ton of error messages. Im using Windows 7 (64 bit) and my .NET framework has been upgraded to 4.5, but it just keeps giving me errors and refuses to run.

8. heinermann

heinermann Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@ejh1990 It was directed to that other guy.

@CaptainFoxx You need to post the errors.

9. ejh1990

Ah, OK. Just checking, haha. I don't want anyone to think I am an OS elitest :p

Also...

[​IMG]

Kel^, I have managed to get it working with version 1.7.3 of Wine. It's a little bit very slow, but it's working at least! So that's pretty fab. I don't know what version is in the default repos, but for Ubuntu users (or users of any Ubuntu-derivatives such as Mint and Elementary) I have found that this PPA seems to play nice:

ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

And assuming you don;t have any funky partitioning going on, the assets directory should be:

Z:\home\<linux_username>\.local\share\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets

I'll poke around some more and see if there's any way to make it more responsive. I hope this may help prospective users of this tool who currently are unable to. :)

edit: So yep. I got it working decently enough. :)

Wine 1.7.3 + Windows 2003 mode = working tool. And I am loving it! :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Kel^ likes this.
  10. Kel^

Kel^ updated Starstructor, the Starbound toolset with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

Shadewarp likes this.
  11. Cocatox

Cocatox Void-Bound Voyager

amazing work but can you edit some tools like cuter or block painting like in other graohic programs like adobe or wim that would be so much easier fot us thanks for it

mfg

12. skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

any chance of a linux version please pwitty pweese

13. ejh1990

14. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

Scratch that, the new version seems to work fine for me now

15. Kel^

Do you mean like a variable brush size or other tools like copy/paste/flip/fill? I definitely to do both of these things at some point :)

Nice work with the Wine information, by the way! I'm glad you got it working.

Good to hear! Let me know if you run into any issues!

16. NotSoBrown

NotSoBrown Space Spelunker

Is there any way possible someone could make a tutorial on how to edit your ship correctly?

17. Kel^

I really recommend reading http://community.playstarbound.com/...op-template-modding-guide.42404/#post-1554800! Starstructor is really just a block map editor right now - except rather than staring at big pixels, you get to see game graphics instead. Therefore, any tutorial on ship editing is relevant - you just need to replace the blockmap editing step with Starstructor. This will change in the future, and eventually you won't even need a tutorial, but for now, that guide should do the trick.

18. Punisherbr

Punisherbr Orbital Explorer

I just finished a small list for decorations I made to myself and I'm sharing with you guys.

http://pastebin.com/5hy2U1Ks

These are just some objects so people can start decorating their ship.

Basically, just add this piece of code into your dropship.structure file

Different itens won't be noticeable from the colors display, but will be fine in the graphical display.

19. Kel^

Cool, so this is like a starter list of brushes? :) Nice work!

20. Punisherbr

Punisherbr Orbital Explorer

Yeah, exactly.
    Thanks. ;)