1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Starstructor, the Starbound toolset 0.7.5145.12730

Starstructor is a graphical .dungeon and .structure (ship) editor

1. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

You can actually just make a completely empty blocks map (or fill it with a colour) and as long as it's linked up to your .structure file, the editor will open it. You can then draw your ship using the brushes defined in your .structure file. Just make sure you make your empty blockmap big enough to fill your ship.

You need to open the .rar file with WinRAR or 7zip! (or a similar utility) I've uploaded it as a .rar rather than a .zip because google chrome doesn't like my domain and won't let .zip files be downloaded properly. Hopefully I'll be able to upload future releases as .zips.

2. Huh. I tried unzipping it, but it didn't give me the option. My computer is new, so it may not have it. Thanks.

3. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

Download 7zip. All problems solved.

heinermann likes this.
  4. kitsunespirit

The fact that theres no undo button is really frustrating... also when I load my file the image of the ship is really really tiny...

5. Kel^

You need to make the image bigger then! Or if you're talking about the overlay, it's drawn 1:1 as you'd see it in game, so you need to enlarge the overlay image and reposition it in the structure file. Undo/redo is coming!

6. kitsunespirit

Wow I'm dumb... I had forgotten to resize my block map down 1:8... that's why my background ship was so tiny. >.>

7. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi, Great work im having alot of fun here, the only thing is, i dont know how to move the png image in background, so i miss half of top part of my ship and the walking part is underneat the ship. i would like to just lower the png image in background so it all fit. Thanks

*sorry if english is bad

8. Kel^

No problem! Right now, you can't do that from within the editor. But you can do it by opening up your ship's .structure file and finding the section

Code:
    "backgroundOverlays" : [
    {
    "image" : "shipship.png",
    "position" : [-3, 13]
    }
    ],
    And changing the numbers in position. The numbers refer to x- and y- coordinates in grid format, relative to the bottom-left corner. So if your ship overlay is at [0, 0], then it's exactly at the bottom left. If it's [5, 0] then it's 5 grids - 40 pixels - to the right of the bottom-left, and it it's at [10, 10] then your overlay is 10 grids from the bottom left in both the right and up directions.

9. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks alot!

10. kitsunespirit

So something I forgot to ask, does this program just make the block map, or does it adjust the structure file too?

11. Kel^

Right now it just edits the block map, but in the future it will deal with the .structure file for you, so you won't even have to touch it!

12. kitsunespirit

Ah... thats why my ship mod froze the game up. lol I thought it edited the structure map too...

You know what would be really useful is too have a coordinate map on the block map window. That way I could just mouse over a particular block and it will tell me what to put in the structure file. :)

13. Kel^

What do you mean by a coordinate map? The only reason to edit the .structure file right now is to add brushes or to reposition your overlay. You shouldn't need to even touch the .structure file if you don't want new blocks - all the ship positioning is held within the blockmap.

14. kitsunespirit

Then why does it have coordinates (x,y axis) for things like "ship engine" If the game goes by the block map?

15. Kel^

Do you mean these?

Code:
    "value" : [174, 137, 81, 255],
    Those aren't coordinates, those map to RGBA - red, green, blue, alpha. They are the set of instructions which map the blockmap to parts of the game world.

If you don't mean that, could you give me an example? I'm looking at a .structure file right now and I don't see any coordinates.

16. kitsunespirit

Never mind, I looked in the structure file again... the position coordiantes (7,11) for example are only for the shipship file... I had thought that that all the png references in the file had the position string in them (they don't). This is what happens when you stare at pixel art for two day straight. lol

17. Kel^

So I wanted to post a progress update as there wasn't a new version tonight.

[​IMG]

What you can see in the above screenshot is the collision mapping for foreground tiles and objects. I've been working on implementing a system which emulates Starbound's collision system. This will allow the editor to be completely accurate in what it draws and what it allows the user to place. This will also allow the elusive selective re-rendering, which means that tiles will display correctly immediately when you paint rather than requiring a refresh first.

Oh, and I also fixed object orientations. And you'll hopefully see a few more quality of life changes such as undo, redo, and importing brushes from inside the editor (time permitting.)

The next release will possibly be tomorrow, but I do have exams so it depends on how quickly I can get everything together - if not, it will be this weekend.

Did you get everything working?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    heinermann likes this.
  18. kyle_crafty

kyle_crafty Void-Bound Voyager

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to make ships? I don't feel like I have any control over this.

19. Kel^

I would highly recommend reading http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-mod-your-ship.36915/. Replace the step "Editing dropshipblocks.png" with using Starstructor to design your ship.

In a nutshell, you need to:

1. Get a list of materials, objects, etc., that you want to use when designing your ship.
    2. Add these materials to the .structure file using the above guide and the current ships as a reference.
    3. Open up the .structure file in Starstructor and design your ship using the brushes from step 2.

As the resource description states, "Starstructor in its current state is a very valuable tool for the experienced ship or dungeon editor, but it may be difficult to use for a novice." -- because you have to add brushes manually. This will be fixed in future versions so you can just make a new ship, choose the brushes you want inside the editor, and draw, but for now, you have to edit the .structure file manually to add brushes I'm afraid!

20. TheLastGenius

TheLastGenius Void-Bound Voyager

It seems very helpful, but please make it fully compatible with the game, this is a windows/mac/Linux game not only windows so for people like me who choose to use a superior OS can not play certain games and this game is made available to us so please make your and any mods also compatible.