1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED StarReader: Starbound Web-Based Player Save File Editor

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'll be posting here about it, don't worry. But I still got a long day ahead of me :[

Coro likes this.
  2. TyronetheTyrant

TyronetheTyrant Poptop Tamer

Yeah. At this point, you can mod items you already have. There is a "View more" dropdown wherein you may edit the properties of the weapon such as projectile speed, size, damage, 1h/2h, status effects, and more. You do need a bit of knowledge on how the game's script works, although most of your editing is pretty self-explanatory, to change which projectile comes out of what weapon or what status effects it imparts. Does that help?
    EDIT: Actually, never mind that. I tested editing the Broken Hero Sword to have higher projectile speed and damage and to be 1-handed in the editor. It made the save file incompatible with the game client. I don't understand why they are making it so difficult. :/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. TyronetheTyrant

How to properly unpack Starbound's packed.pak:
    W indows

• Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) to bring up the Run... dialog
    • Enter the following text into the prompt and press Enter:
      • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets"
    Linux

NOTE: If you're on 32 bit, change the path to Starbound.
    In a terminal:

• $ "~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux64/asset_unpacker" "~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/packed.pak" "~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets"
    Mac

In a terminal:
    • $ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound; Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/asset_unpacker assets/packed.pak assets

Taken from https://github.com/wizzomafizzo/starcheat#unpacking-starbound-assets
    Should make the file editor work properly. Biggest problem is that this editor (and all extant editors) relies on unpacking the items and objects, which going directly through cmd or a .bat file, in my brief experience, won't do. It works fine for me after this step, though. Let me know if this helps at all.

4. AmusedTheory

AmusedTheory Space Hobo

Even after I unpack everything, any changes I make to any of the items doesn't follow through in game. And I don't get why. I try to make the default armor you get as a Hylotl a bit better to help me get on my way and the changes will not take effect.

5. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

You don't have to unpack to use the tool, but there may be bugs with editing an item, thanks for the input.

Unpacking would be useful for me to get a complete list of items and icons for display purposes

Coro likes this.
  6. TyronetheTyrant

Huh. Maybe it's just a coincidence, then, that it started working perfectly after I unpacked my assets. In any case, you don't want to edit items from the editor anyways. It's better to just edit the item scripts through notepad or my preference, Notepad++. The reason is that if you edit through your tool only, it creates a conflict withing the item instance, thereby creating a save-breaking error (because the item script isn't changing, you're just changing the instance's stats in conflict with the true properties.) For that, unpacking assets is absolutely necessary.
    Hope that my venture helps people who want to mod existing items or base new items on existing ones.

7. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Update 4C

• Fixed some bugs with editing weapon properties
    • Added editable fields for Health / Energy / Warmth / Breath / Hunger

Coro likes this.
  8. AmusedTheory

AmusedTheory Space Hobo

I did edit the items through notepad, I just didn't make that clear. But any changes I made to the item scripts didn't work/show up in game for some reason.

TyronetheTyrant likes this.
  9. azzkikr

azzkikr Aquatic Astronaut

10. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Some items are indeed predefined in the assets, only the randomly generated weapons are editable as all their generated properties are stored in the save as well. The predefined items, such as the tier armor dont have any properties attached so its not even an option in the editor.

If you want to change the properties for predefined assets you will need to dig into your local assets which is out of the scope of this tool!

Coro and TyronetheTyrant like this.
  11. AmusedTheory

AmusedTheory Space Hobo

I cannot create a new save file. Pressing the "Generate New Save File" does not do anything for me. And changing the max hp and such doesn't work either. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what

12. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have to ask, is javascript enabled?

Coro likes this.
  13. AmusedTheory

AmusedTheory Space Hobo

Yes it is.

14. AmusedTheory

AmusedTheory Space Hobo

Nevermind, I got it working xD

15. TyronetheTyrant

I'm sure you know this already, but most of that's kinda what I said. I wasn't aware one could edit the properties of generated weapons (and I assume shields, too.) without conflict. Although I'm not sure how that eluded me.

16. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

What was the issue?

Coro likes this.
  17. shadowumbreon

shadowumbreon Big Damn Hero

My generate save doesnt work either, I press generate new save and nothing happens. How did you get yours working?

18. Zerooo

Zerooo Space Hobo

Hello! First of all, thak you for this awesome app. second, It's not working for me. i get the
    "
    Oops! Something was wrong with that file. Could be an old version, could be corrupt, could be a gif?"
    When i'm using the .player file, i tried with 3 different characters, same error. I'm on Furious

19. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thats very strange, can you give me the filenames you used? i'll see if they uploaded

20. Tyler61210

Tyler61210 Void-Bound Voyager

Did you try using a older .player file? Or this one is a newly created on?

I tried with my older file and got that error. Made new characters and stuff and used the new file and it worked great. But regardless the saving isn't working at the moment. Hopefully fixed soon.