1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Stardew Valley won't work on my PC

Discussion in 'Support' started by starhealer1, Aug 14, 2018.

1. starhealer1

starhealer1 Poptop Tamer

I bought Stardew Valley on August 11th 2018 and up until roughly 3pm pacific time on August 14th 2018 the game was working fine but then I started having a problem. From 8pm pacific till 11-30pm pacific on August 13th 2018 I was playing co-op with a new friend and when we went to continue that farm around 3am Pacific on August 14th is roughly when my problem started. my friend sent me an invite to join him/her and I got "connection failed" the first time which I had received once before, but only once before so I figured okay second times the charm like last time, they resent it and tried again and this time got "Connection Failed (Version mismatched)" it was after that the game stopped working on my computer. Whenever I try to load it starts but then shuts down immediately and gives me the following message "Stardew Valley has stopped working" then it give me 2 options "Check online for solution and close program" or "close program".
    What can be done to fix this??

• DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

Perhaps one of you is in the beta program while the other isn't..? For a while, it was the same, but then an update came to the beta branch. As of today, I think it should be the same again, but only for now. To play in the long run, make sure both of you are using the beta branch or none of you.

(it's also possible that one of you failed to install updates before trying to play, but the beta scenario seems more likely imo)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
      • starhealer1

starhealer1 Poptop Tamer

That may or may not explain the "connection failed" but that doesn't really explain why stardew valley suddenly stopped working. It just starts but then shuts down immediately and gives me the msg mentioned above. Maybe I should have my computer looked at just in case.

• DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

The failures with Version mismatch was almost certainly caused by that, or a partial update of some sort. You may wish to check file integrity/reinstall the game on both machines as well.

As for other intermittent connection errors, check firewalls and network equipment. Sometimes consumer grade network equipment like routers or modems act up, sometimes for more legit reasons than others, but restarting them typically fixes it in those cases.

• HerraAntti

HerraAntti Master Chief

Hey,

Mentioned this a while ago in different thread:
            I had same problem when I used Rivatuner with MSI Afterburner to show hardware thermals etc on overlay. Crashes happened even when the overlay was disabled but turning the "Application detection level" of RivaTuner Statistics Server to None fixed the crashes completely. So if friend of yours is using it you should mention it!

This started happening after updating from beta to current branch.

Happy farming!

• starhealer1

starhealer1 Poptop Tamer

Rivatuner??