Stardew Valley More Quests / Late Game ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scipiio, May 2, 2017.

1. musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

It's actually a fairly common issue - all these quests at the beginning but towards the end of the game, when you can swim in gold and items, there's no late-game quests when you can get rid of things you have 45 of and have no use for anymore...

I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but I like the idea of having special quests every two weeks. Things like Haley lost her camera and she NEEDS IT BACK, so if you can find it, you get an immediate +1 heart increase. However, fail and you LOSE a heart (if you aren't at zero hearts). Or Robin needs so much of 4 items and asks you to find them. Succeed and it's a +1 heart, but this time there's no real negative. Or Gus needs you to cover for Emily so she can visit Sandy for 5 days. Agree to spend a few hours each day for 5 days and both Gus and Emily reward you. Refuse and Emily thinks less of you. Things like that, not these totally bizarre daily quests that has Haley wanting a sea cucumber *for girls only!* or things like that....

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

This intrigues me a great deal, the idea of having to cover another NPC's job. The only problem I see is that it really would be just standing around for the entire time, or a cut-scene of you working and then the hours are knocked off your daily clock automatically afterwards. But that definitely has some possibilities...

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gifting Elliott is ridiculously easy now we're married. If my ducks haven't dropped feathers then I have a pomegranate tree in the greenhouse and often my beach crab pots throw up lobster too. He's living the high life (and has enough duck feathers to paper the house with).

• Scipiio

Scipiio Space Hobo

All these ideas are brilliant, I'd love it if all these ideas were put into place :rofl:.
          Something about making the town look different or gaining more new items as the game goes on would be great additions in my opinion.
          I believe that perhaps discovering a small dwarf city near stardew would be awesome, i dunno if this is part of the game. But that abandoned sewage pipe outside of town could be awesome to have some sort of small city where you can get unique tools and hats :3

• Koen

Koen Void-Bound Voyager

Moar drama, romantism, sex and violance please. Let's go tears and fears. Betrayals and courts. Crimes and investigations. Moar roleplay, action and life in town

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

If you were being serious, I don't think that exactly fits into the vibe of the game. It'd have to be dlc

• housemaster

housemaster Poptop Tamer

Is there going to be mod support for the PS4 version?

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, I've been noticing that in the "show your farm" threads, the farms get less and less interesting the later year it is, since all they grow anymore is ancient fruit. One thing could be done is add a new TV channel that discuss national news. The news reports could indicate a shortage of corn, or the Republic is subsidizing the price of beans grown for the troops, or an outbreak of ancient flu has caused the price of ancient fruit to plummet due to name association. This would help keep the farm more dynamic with more different crops, while giving the player more world building with news of the goings on in the country. It would also help role-play players try to engage in business opportunities presented by world events, or just patriotically help the troops.

It could even be taken to the next level, where severe food rationing for a season or two causes the country to consider certain crops as contraband, such as melons. Residents could purchase contraband via the bulletin board from the player at a greatly inflated cost, put the player could get in trouble if they try selling them via the bin or Pierres. The nations food supply could have fallen dramatically because of the war, with so many farmers recruited for the war, basic staple crops could fetch a higher price. The food supply could then be restored via a "Victory Garden" campaign that encourages everyone to grow their own food. And perhaps the player can earn some form of reward (a stardrop maybe? Or a "I'm doing my part" banner?) for meeting a quota of beans or coffee , or accepting an army contract to grow a certain amount of a crop. Just something to stop people from growing only ancient fruit and starfruit.

Or just a really simple idea. Growing too much of one thing all in one area risks a disease from wiping the crop out. Especially one that's been growing 3 seasons straight.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
                  • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I can only support this if it's optional. I'm a fan of as many difficulties as possible, and that doesn't just mean easier it means harder too. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone who cares really? ((Too many people tbh but that's another issue.)) The only time it's a problem when someone is forced to play in a way because someone else thinks it's fun.

Sometimes strategy is fun, don't get me wrong. Sometimes I just want to hear the cool sounds and watch my #s go up too without stress. I'd hate to see this game fall farther into the get gud scrub stuff, because gaming seems to be going more and more that way and it's just not as fun dealing with that. Not that I'm saying you're being like that, don't misunderstand! Just it's getting really depressing being driven from things I love because people seem to think you should be required to have some level of skill that I'm not sure who decides to play ANYTHING. It excludes people who have any physical and/or mental issues. ((Another depressing thing which I'm not saying you are/would be doing is the whole 'well who cares about them they don't need to be playing games these are for US' stuff.))

i think it's great and all, but I can't say I agree with the 'Yeah, I've been noticing that in the "show your farm" threads, the farms get less and less interesting the later year it is, since all they grow anymore is ancient fruit' thing because at the end of the day it's up to each of those people to decide what is fun for them and they aren't hurting anyone. That line is the only thing that worries me as it seem like you'd want it mandatory because you don't agree with how others play. I admit I have no idea the intent and it just seems this way to me, but without further information I freely admit I can only speculate based on what I have and my experiences.

• Sventex

But at the same time, did anyone really go into this thinking "I want to have a farm that only grows extinct fruit." ? I suspect most if not all players did not set out to grow nothing but ancient fruit, but only did so because the game mechanics made the ancient fruit too good to pass up. Roleplay wise, it detracts from the story if the player character only grows a inedible fruit. I freely admit, I'm not a min/maxer, which is why I am a little disappointed see so many farms posted in the forum that only grow ancient fruit. It almost seems to betray the spirit of the game to see farms dedicated to the joja-colored cash crop. At least that's my take on it. My thinking was that this idea would help the "real" crops stay relevant all game. The game seems to railroad out any diversity in the end game with so many farms starting differently and slowly become homogenized with every season. As I see it, if the game offers to pay you to grow a certain number of green beans, the player might actually grow that instead of the top profit crop of the season. So many fruits and vegetables are never planted because they aren't top performing crops, and because of that, I think game is a little too depended on fixed prices, and makes the gameplay a little static. There's no enough encouragement of variety. It's sort of like weather. It changes, makes the game easier and more difficult at the same time, and I like it for variety.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
                        Seismothesaurus and blind3rdeye like this.
                      • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

On that same note, I often wonder why people get this game and then automate the crap out of their farm. Like, sprinklers so you don't have to water, auto-feeders so you don't have to feed your animals, and then there's all the mods that have been made to do even *more* of your farm chores for you. Presumably it's to save you the time and energy to go mining and fishing, but if someone is choosing those over farming, why then did they choose a farming game in the first place? I've always been slightly perplexed by this but I never brought it up because people tend to get defensive when someone questions their play style.
                        I like variety, so I'm always growing a bit of everything. I like the idea of the demand for certain crops changing from one season to another, it would force me to adapt my farm design and keep things interesting.

• Sventex

I personally use automation as an in-game goal, as gathering the considerable resources for it takes quite a bit of time. It feels like I'm building something with practical benefit that improves my farm. It also lets me comfortably expand the farm without increasing the workload. I find the act of managing my farm more interesting and fun then just watering the plants everyday. Without automation, I'd end up burning myself out if I kept ambitiously growing a lot of crops.

• ChaosAzeroth

Still, I feel like forcing people into a mode of play isn't a good way to go.
                            Even after the nerf, for example, I stuck with only growing cranberries because it was what I wanted to do.

Were my crops to be killed to force me into another gamplay I'd just quit playing honestly. I play these games to have fun, not to be forced into someone else's version of fun.

Again, having it as an option I'm 110% behind because I don't think anyone should be forced to place a certain way ((as it is no one HAS to grow a single crop for example)) but I feel like more gameplay options are better.

Honestly I feel like people get defensive because what I've seen many times questioning comes off as mildly attacking and no one likes to be attacked. Even when it's not I feel like there's enough direct attacks on 'filthy casuals' and such. ((I.E. People with handicaps who play games, sometimes a LOT and put a LOT of effort but have trouble with one aspect or another and need it to be simpler/easier.)) Too many people have turned it into an us vs them thing and it's just made the whole thing a mess.

I think a lot of people play games to unwind. Honestly I don't see the point in anything most of the time, ANYTHING. Easy or hard, difficulty really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme. You learn the mechanics and push buttons to make things happen and... That's it. There's nothing inherently better or worse about easier or harder games in the grand scheme. No games really have a point beyond having fun honestly. ((Besides like the ones professionals use to train for some jobs but I'm not playing those so...))

Part of Stardew vs other farming games is that it HAS these really fleshed out other features. They're as well developed and about as big as the farming really. And I mean, I've never automated anything beyond my greenhouse and still planted a lot outside and all personally. But IDK, I guess I end up feeling like as long as someone is having fun it doesn't hurt me. Though I get being curious too? I just personally go with better safe than sorry because a lot of people AREN'T being curious and ARE trying to bolster the 'legitimacy' of their gameplay by tearing down others.

• LuthienNightwolf

Yeah, I'm definitely not attacking anyone's personal playstyle, I just get curious as to why people do what they do, what the reasoning behind it is. (And this isn't just with gaming, this is people in general, I find psychology a fascinating thing.)I'm huge on the casual style, and I go for aesthetics - but I'm not going to begrudge someone who wants to min/max or just use a small chunk of their farm or completely skip farming altogether. It doesn't affect me and it's not like we're competing. lol I just want to know why they do it. >u<

I also tend to forget that the average player doesn't use Timespeed the way I do. My days are VERY slowed down. Having more time means having more opportunity to just stop and enjoy the scenery or spend all morning watering crops. I find those things hugely relaxing, but other people might find them tedious. Rushing against the clock stresses me out, but some people like that challenge. So when I ask someone what they're doing if not farming, I'm not remembering that most of them only have like 13 minutes (is it 13? I don't remember its been so long) to cram everything they want to do into the day. lol (And on the other hand, people have asked me what the heck I do all day to fill those long hours since my timer is so slowed down.)

Sventex and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                              • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

The only issue I have with this is that some of us cannot use mods. Console players are restricted to the original game only. Hopefully, just for now. Lol So, I have to submit to time's cruel and fast paced routine every day on all my farms. :\

• ChaosAzeroth

Yeah that's fair. The problem comes in with the fact not everyone is just curious unfortunately.

I'm someone who can't understand modding, comp stuff is difficult for me and I have the added issue of crippling anxiety when it comes to altering my computer. ((Because I know I don't understand and because there's a million ways to mess up one's comp/games. Actually have pretty bad anxiety about making any real mistakes in general but that's not really relevant exactly?X3))

Yeah rushing against the clock is the worst. I enjoy watering but YEAH it can end up taking a huge chunk of my time. ((Unrelated I also love to harvest blueberries and cranberries due to the sound and the animation for the mutli-berries.))

Feel fee to come pick my brain anytime! I get being curious, learning new things and understanding thoughts and things is very fun!

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                                  • LuthienNightwolf

Honestly I'm the same with the tech stuff. If my boyfriend hadn't installed SMAPI and got Timespeed up and running for me I probably would never have even messed with it. I still won't mess with it, so I don't use any other SMAPI mods or any mods that require additional programs to run. I'm just too scared I'll do something the wrong way and screw up my whole game.
                                    It took a while for me to even feel comfortable swapping out xnb files but I was SO proud of myself when I learned how to do it; I think my boyfriend rolled his eyes a few times. lol If someone doesn't hold my hand through the whole process and run through it with me a few times, I have very poor confidence in my ability to do it.

I started a thread for the other thing so we don't have to derail this one anymore. Feel free to chime in on it. :3

Jack Of Shades likes this.
                                    • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ancient fruit isn't inedible. You can make wine and preserves out of it. Although I can't imagine dedicating my whole farm to it. Variety is much more fun.

• Sventex

I guess the preserves make it edible, but you can distill almost anything into alcohol. During Prohibition, people distilled their inedible furniture to make methyl alcohol, so being able to make wine out of something doesn't tell me it was originally edible. So I'm suspicious of this extinct fruit that cannot be eaten.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Everything is technically edible. Doesn't mean you should put it in your mouth. ;)