Stardew 1.4 update is in the works...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lilliput, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i don't think it's much of a problem, and if it's a problem for YOU, then you'll be able to get your way by YOU not using coffee beans

i'm afraid of these kinds of arguments in MMO's, too, as people who play for a long time, know how to get money, and it gets nerfed for EVERYONE
    *everyone = all people who agree or disagree, and those who are new, and found a way to get money to do their things

difference is: MMO's are massively ONLINE, so you play with others, whether you like it or not, and so it changes for everyone when someone breaks the market
    SDV is offline (mostly, and certainly NOT MMO online), so you'd screw with people who just have a nice time (reason i bought the game, having a nice time)

sure, it gets you a lot of money, but you are NOT forced to do it that way, there's many ways of playing this game, and destroying/nerfing one, makes everyone suffer

• Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your OP referenced realism yet asked for roasted beans to sell for the same as a brewed cup. If you're willing to let go of the realism angle and settle for the linear profit curve you just mentioned, I think a mod to cause coffee plants to yield green beans that sell for significantly less than a cup and a fermenter specific to them similar to Seed Maker wouldn't hurt.

Adding to the main game, though, I think would just pose too much complication for too little benefit because you'd then make brewed coffee even more labor intensive by requiring players first ferment the green coffe beans after harvest before then brewing.

My broader point you continue to miss completely: balance includes buffs, so yes, it does unbalance the game to alter its work/benefit ratio. Like so many players who hyperventilate about minutae in this game, you're thinking purely by numbers. Sad.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
      • Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I can speak for myself just as you can speak for yourself. That's the point of a forum. If I have a problem, I shouldn't be afraid that nobody else has that problem and just keep it to myself. So I've made my suggestion about coffee.

I'm sorry, have I offended you?

• Skinflint

No, but I will say you seem afraid of others who don't share the problem and that it seems as though you find offensive that they post disagreements with your statements *lol*

"Sad." comments upon the beauty of Stardew being smothered by an objective-obsessed mentality. No need to take it personally, it's a broad, entrenched gaming industry and cultural problem, which is why Stardew is so refreshing.

• Sventex

I'm afraid? And I'm offended? What have I said to give you such impressions?

A balance change is not inherently good or bad. Ancient Fruit and artisan goods were nerfed in a previous patch, but I've yet to see "everyone suffer".

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Massive lol at coffee being too good a margin.....

The ironic thing about this whole ridiculous derail is, coffee actually sucks as a way of making money. It's so far from optimal it's hilarious

Let's look at summer, because of how laughably huge the difference is. A single plot of coffee gets 14 harvests, each harvest worth 120 g; you only get four beans, but you need five beans to make a coffee. That's a total of 1680g for the season. That same plot, with starfruit, gets 3 harvests (with DSG) worth 3150g each when you make wine, a total of 9450g, almost six times as much as coffee in summer. Sure, you get an extra 9 harvests of coffee rolled over from spring, but that's only an extra 1080g, total 2760g from the plot for the two seasons, which is less than a single starfruit wine, never mind three of them. In fact, in profit terms, it barely beats out selling those starfruit unprocessed, and that's only because of the 400g price of starfruit seeds.

For making money in year two, if you haven't yet got your ancient fruit up and running, it's starfruit with in summer, and in spring you should plant rhubarb with DSG, not coffee.

Note that these numbers take no account of processing methods whatsoever. Even if coffee worked like the mill does with wheat and sugar, ie with basically zero effort, as you're requesting, it doesn't change the fact that it still wouldn't earn decent money.

If you wanted the coffee to be like that for aesthetics and realism then fine, just say so, but don't justify bemoaning the processing method with the risible claim that coffee is effectively your farm's financial lifeblood and best possible income stream.

Otherwise, if you find the processing tedious then stop doing it. And if you don't want a stockpile of coffee beans, stop planting them.

• Skinflint

It's the behavior you've exhibited of failing to grasp that others' counter-arguments and disagreements stand on equal footing as yours, as evidenced by your ignoring my proposal for an alternative in the form of a mod, in favor of defending your right to post as though counter-posts threaten it, rather than explain why a mod is unsatisfactory to you, let alone address that your idea makes brewed coffee less accessible.

• Sventex

I grow everything as part of the polyculture farm, so it makes no sense to not process the coffee beans since it doubles the profit. That's where I'm coming from, I don't cover my entire farm with coffee plants nor do I cover my entire farm with starfruit. I grow both and process both.

Since you have failed to grasp my arguments that stand on equal footing as yours, then you are also afraid and offended? Is that the logic being presented?

You do not have to agree with me, but neither should you be afraid or offended. These are only gameplay suggestions. You have nothing to gain from agreeing with me or disagreeing with me just as I have nothing to gain from agree or disagreeing with others.

• Skinflint

Disagreement doesn't necessarily indicate misunderstanding, and it is the failure to accord counter-arguments that respect I find lacking in your posts thus far. You as the original poster place yourself in the position to receive counter-arguments; treating their articulation as an assertion of superiority simply for being aired rather than addressing their substance demonstrates a lack of such understanding.

• Sventex

You have made misunderstands, suggesting that "Junimo Huts also eliminate most of your issue" when I've made no mention of having problems harvesting coffee beans. Junimo Huts have no bearing on my gameplay suggestions. You have made yourself an expert on my emotional state by claiming:

despite the fact that you are literally incapable of gauging my personal emotions from a forum post. I suggest you stop making so many assumptions because you've wasting my time with your failed psychoanalysis. You can agree or disagree with my gameplay suggestions and leave the it at that.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Particularly given how pathetically small that profit is, it makes no sense to process the coffee beans, since you apparently hate doing it so much.

But if you're doing 300 cups a day throughout winter, that's 8400 cups, which is 10,500 harvests. At ~23 harvests for two seasons, you have over 450 coffee plants. That's quite a lot imo, for an apparent polyculture farm. Plant fewer coffee as a sideline, to save yourself the processing aggro, and plant more of something else instead.

I mean, let's break it down to how much you're actually earning - 300 cups is worth 45k, but the beans would have sold for more than half that anyway, once gold and silver quality beans are included. So you're putting yourself through that for what, 20k extra per day? With just 60 kegs, that's five cycles or ten hours per day, and I'm sure you can find something better to do with ten hours, because 2k per hour is terribad at that stage of the game. You could go to the lake and catch sturgeon and you'd almost earn that, and it's way more fun than filling kegs.

More realistically, I'll come back and say 20k is about the same profit as making around ten bottles of starfruit wine, which would literally take about three seconds of real world time to load and unload. I think I know which is a better use of the time.

If you're still dead set on processing 300 cups of coffee per day then just build another 240 kegs and you can be done with making coffee in one run, which should only take two hours once per day. Again, at this stage, end of Y2 or later, you should easily have all the oak resin you need to build them sitting in a chest somewhere by now, and the rest of the material can just be bought if you don't have it to hand.

In any case, brewing coffee is not an essential part of the game, so there's no need to change the mechanics of doing so.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i never said a nerf or other change would always make people suffer, but i gave the MMO example, so keep that one in context, please
                          by giving the MMO example, i thought i'd be clear about the point you quoted, which you kinda took out of context in this case

may i quote yourself by saying:

as you assumed i meant that 1 change would make people suffer, while i was talking about the "i think it's bad/not good enough, so i think they should change it" attitude, that made many MMO players suffer in MMO's, and i don't wanan see that in SDV

this suggetion by itself isn't like that, but the way you interpreted sounds like that, imo

but anyway, i have no more to say, as i agree and disagree with many posts here, and happen to disagree with you, in this case
                          it's just that i didn't like the way you interpreted it, as i cannot read minds to see how exactly you'd mean that

1 thing i do see now, is that you "fight back" really easily, but that could be me
                          even if the prices of say, pale ale and coffee, which's ingredients can be produced daily, probably with a reason, would drop by 50%, i'd care less and just go on, i just wanted to make my point here
                          seems it didn't turn out right, so i keep myself out of this for now, especially since it's 2:30 AM in reallife here, so i might make more mistakes than normally

have a nice day/night/both

• Sventex

Uhh no, I never said I process coffee all winter. Winter was just the time I processed my coffee. Perhaps in year 2 I've grown coffee on 100 tiles for 2 seasons. 23 harvests, 4 beans per harvest and I'm looking at just 9,200 beans. Yes I could just grow all stardrops or all ancient fruits as that's what min/maxers do but the result is a very boring looking farm and I'm not solely in it for profit. Since I try and grow everything and process everything, I receive a more complete experience of the farm, I've just noticed the coffee is just extra tedious compared to every other crop. Nothing else in the game proliferates quite like coffee beans do.

Well, I play MMORPGS too and I too make suggestions on those forums so I don't see the "i think it's bad/not good enough, so i think they should change it" attitude as bad. It's democratic and I tend to view players having a voice in the game as a good thing. But that's just my opinion on the issue.

• Skinflint

Given that the word "seems" has made you feel me to have appointed myself an expert on your internal emotional state, it's clear to me that you're not capable of continuing a discussion worth my participation. Take your own advice about sticking to gameplay ideas.

As far as Junimo Huts, I already explained to you that they remain relevant to my proposed methods of addressing your problems, whether or not you find them relevant. Just because they aren't a direct remedy doesn't make them irrelevant in those I proposed.

• Sventex

You've insulted me again.

• Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

@Skinflint @Sventex please keep things civil and polite. Any further arguing or sly comments and we will have to escalate action.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Little off topic, but it would be nice if Stardew for Xbox came out with a mod section. Similar to Fallout 4 and Skyrim. That way the console players could have a little modding fun. :proper:

alv4 likes this.
                                    • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

making ancient fruit and gem berries useful in cooking would be lovely

Kurachi84 likes this.
                                      • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

love that, too
                                        they are moneymakers, yes, but with some good dishes for them (maybe stronger than say eggplant parmesan), they'll be useful in battle, too
                                        "70-80 healing, +3 defense, +2 attack, +3 immunity" sounds nice to me, even 60 healing would do
                                        i mean, they are the biggest moneymakers, so a bit OP isn't illogical, and worth the money loss

maybe a like for everyone, including the someday coming new villagers

• .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

I want more end game stuff.
                                          More quests or expensive, special items to get. Maybe crops or artisan things you can ONLY get with loads of G? Something to spend millions of ancient fruit wine gold on (and not just stuff to make gold easier to get - recipes or secrets to unlock.) Post-marriage events.... more quests.

I don't expect this out of the gate, but I would LOVE to see kids as actual NPCs. I don't even need them to grow up and help out (I always feel that's asking a bit much, since it'd take a lot of work). But just... more than pets with a different skin. I actually started work on a mod for this but I lost my mod progress in a crash. :(

I'm halfway through summer of Yr 2 at the moment, with the community centre completed and am already anticipating I'll delete this file to start over when I get to Year 3 since there will be nothing left to do.