Stardew 1.4 update is in the works...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lilliput, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

same though i worry it will just be bugfixes and at best one or two qol fixes and nothing actually new v______v there is so much work to be done stabilizing the game that it would be reasonable if nothing else was done

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I agree completely. For a $15, indie game, it would "be reasonable if nothing else was done" since version 1.0.

Borodin, Pangaea and Skinflint like this.
      • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

that isn't quite what i said but that's fair enough too

frankly though i'd happily pay for an add-on pack or a dlc pack if one came out if it added cooking stuff, i mean heck it would not be impossible to make meat buyable at pierre's and i'd pay a buck or three to have that and the beta recipes it comes with for my game, same to get a dozen or so more plants to grow or fish to catch in my baskets. i know it is a lot to ask for more stuff when there is so much other stuff to do but it would be lovely to have something more to do that doesn't require five unstable mods and a file-compiler to manage, you know?

also i am greedy and just adore this game so much. hell i am using it to cut my teeth on making my own game in the future X''D concernedape must be doing something right to inspire even a gadabout like me, right?

mahoganyrose23 and BentFX like this.
        • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

if they'd only work on fixes until all are fixed, we'd be waiting for v100 (not literally) to get where we are now, if looking at features
          it's gonna be a big update, so new things will happen, from what i understand
          games need to update with new features sometimes, to keep the interest rolling, even with many bugs (see all other games, cheap and expensive ones)

and us here giving them ideas, will help, i'm sure, so they don't need to think too much

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

well, if he even sees this forum or one of the lucky applicants knows about it and is interested in mentioning it X''D

• Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really don't thnk that's how it works, except in the broadest of strokes. Few people creative enough to have made Stardew Valley would be hurting for ideas on how to expand their game. The most we can hope for is to mention something they like. Trying to get something in the game by popular demand will more often than not put fans at odds with the creator's preferences. That's just how it is. CA accommodates mods I think at least in part to avoid this type of antagonism. Meat is a perfect example. It's a very popular demand CA declines to accommodate in the core game. Something being popular may show that a group of players would be pleased, but that has little to no bearing on what becomes implemented, for a host of reasons, most of which players will never know and would never even conceive of (e.g. what work is involved to implement it, what the dev feels about the idea, all the things that don't get made if this one does, etc.). Please let's avoid ginning ourselves up and patting one another's backs if for no other reason than leaving CA free to dream without worrying there could be fan backlash for not doing something fans have convinced themselves somehow ought to be.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

seeing as CA shows more interest in SDV again, i think he'll look out for ideas and takes the ones that are more attractive
                sure, some ideas will be ignored, but that doesn't mean that ideas that are popular enough, and fit in the game, have a tiny chance of being added
                in Guild Wars, i made many suggestions, and some came true after a long time, and that's a bigger company
                this game doesn't have an MMORPG kind of dev group, this one's a smaller group, so of course will take longer

i'm sure that if we give ideas, and many people share their support towards them, CA will spot them
                and the meat example...... kids also play the game, and meatplants/meattrees don't exist, so it's weird, and butcher mod kind of stuff be hated by kids
                the people on these forums are NOT the only people he/they has/have to think about, plus CA seems to have his own ideas, too

there's way more than just looking at some forums, but the ideas on the forums do help, if they are within range for everyone

• mahoganyrose23

mahoganyrose23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A lot of us seem to be on the same page. I’d also love to see

. Lots of new recipes that utilize orchard fruits,wines,jams, pickles.

.An event or two at the community center

.New crops and forage-ables

.New quests

.Ability to do something with the empty joja mart building.

.A new town to visit

.New furniture and deco

.New house upgrade like an attic or bathroom

.The ability to decorate the cellar

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
                    Kurachi84 likes this.
                  • Antiochus

Antiochus Void-Bound Voyager

I'd love to be able to turn it into a hotel of some kind, with a rotating group of NPCs every season.

You'd have hotel staff, maybe a mix of existing and new characters.

Then you could have other quest lines to make new attractions in Stardew Valley.

-In the summer a quest line to set up a beach resort

-In the winter a quest line to set up a ski lodge

-In the fall a quest line to set up some kind of tour in the forest for the leave's change

-In the spring a quest line to set up something in the flower festival area, maybe some kind of flower or butterfly research

Once done each season would have some NPCs stay at the hotel, some of whom could be late game marriage options, you'd only have the one month a year to woo them but they'd eventually move to SDV once you've married them.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love it if coffee was overhauled. Realistic you harvest the coffee berry, then process them into green coffee beans from which they are mass-roasted for sale. The current method of just harvesting roasted beans and sticking them in the Kegs every few hours to sell hundreds of "cups" of coffee is unrealistic and annoyingly labor intensive. I'd happily just buy a coffee roaster building in this game and just stick all the green coffee in there in one go and just have the roasted coffee sell for the same price as a cup of "coffee" does in-game. So of like how the mill already works in the game.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

None of the artisanal products are handled realistically; why should coffee be an exception? I'm not saying it wouldn't be lovely to have apples milled to pomace and then pressed for cider, or having to turn cheeses, or slow-cook jams/jellies down, but the game has always been wide but shallow in that respect. You're not wrong in wanting to see things processed correctly for their finished product, but, at this point I don't see CA overhauling the entire artisanal crafting system to that extent. Thankfully, the modding community has stepped in on some of those ideas.

Borodin likes this.
                        • Sventex

It's not really realism I'm after. I just want to produce coffee easier. Going into the sheds in winter brewing 300 cups of coffee a day with 60 kegs really burns me out. But since "coffee" doubles the value of the coffee beans in the game and only have 2 in-game hours of processing time, it's just too good of a profit margin to pass it up. But for gameplay reasons, I wish the process was more streamlined. In-game the coffee plants produce so many beans over 2 seasons that I always end up with a huge stockpile so I wish the gameplay method of processing them was a little less tedious.

Mass producing sugar or flour in the game is already very streamlined, I just wish coffee was too.

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

If it is so annoying for you to produce it...why do you do it? I mean, there are crops that yield way more profit and they also save time because you don't have to refill the kegs so often.
                            I hate coffee beans exact for this reasons. I don't plant crops I don't like. After I harvested the required crops for the community center I just grow what I like.

musical74 likes this.
                            • Sventex

It terms of just the crop price, Coffee is the most profitable (25.56g/d) behind the Sweet Gem Berry, Stardrop and Ancient Fruit. With Kegs, that quickly doubles to 51g/d, which is very important during Year 2 for me. I aim for polyculture anyway so I would never just make a pure ancient fruit farm. Besides, the Sweet Gem Berry and Stardrop can only be grown for one season. I firmly believe the coffee gameplay mechanics can be improved so that players won't actively avoid growing them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
                              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Yes, but. I think what @Rauchschwalbe is getting at is why do something you don't enjoy much just for the profit? Unless your personal goal is to rack up as high a 'score' as possible, the game doesn't really reward profit in any meaningful way. There's such an exponential increase in money even for casual gameplay style that there's no reason to feel forced to do things purely for profit motive unless profit is your motive. I'm about the most casual player in terms of min/maxing around and even I have more money rolling in than I can spend. I mean, sure, if you enjoy that vibe of piling up the money, then by all means, play the game your way, but don't feel that the game is forcing you down a path, because it's not. Yes, some crops are absurdly unbalanced in terms of profit, but ultimately, that extra money doesn't get you anything much in the long run with the game.

• Sventex

While I'm not a min/maxer, I do try to keep profit in mind since the game does score everybody at the end of year 2. Since I'm working on making a full time lapse on my farm, finishing the development of the farm by the end of year 2 is sort of an unofficial goal. By making sure I have lightning rods by the first summer and a greenhouse by the first winter, I ensure I don't fall behind since . Being married with a fully upgrade house earns a point from grandpa but the cellar won't pay for itself unless I get it before an entire season before the end of year 2. One of the things driving the need for profit is the design of my farm is aesthetically designed to have 660 farming tiles growing crops during the 3 seasons so I have to stay on top of upgrading my tools and building sprinklers. Self-imposed goals to make a better time-lapse I suppose.

Coffee is just one of the parts of my farm that provides profit, but it sticks out as being more tedious than most other crops, which is why I think it's fair to point this out and request gameplay changes to make coffee more "fun".

• Skinflint

As an exclusive iOS player (not by choice!) frustrated with the controls' limitations and nearing the 1K hour mark, the basis of your argument rings particularly hollow. I feel perfectly happy farming big ticket, low-maintenance crops like Cauliflower and Pumpkin in order to minimize interaction. Junimo Huts also eliminate most of your issue. You may also consider mods to control the rate time passes, but I have a feeling you simply want less work for the same reward, which IMO leads to all crops' playing all but indistinguishably.

I submitted a suggestion to let equipment stack (cannot use Stack Everything, as mods on iOS are not a thing) to lessen the pain of reconfiguring it on the farm, and that is IMO the proper maximal bounds of your impulse: no impact on price/yield in order that diversity of reward and those rewards' balance in the overall game experience delivering a broad range of work/reward effectiveness appropriate to each case be preserved. In fact, I credit precisely this balance as being responsible for none of the high-maintenance rewards iOS' controls make me miss ruining my experience of the game.

• Sventex

I don't think you've understood my arguments at all. Junimo Huts don't work with Kegs. And I'd be fine if the profit of Coffee was nerfed, but I do wish that processing coffee was less physically tedious. Since I aim for a polyculture farm, I grow everything. Telling me to only grow something else is avoiding the problem this game potentially has. Cauliflower, Coffee Bean, Garlic, Green Bean, Kale, Parsnip, Potato, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Blueberry, Corn, Hops, Hot Pepper, Melon, Radish, Red Cabbage, Starfruit, Tomato, Wheat, Amaranth, Artichoke, Beet, Bok Choy, Cranberries, Eggplant, Grape, Pumpkin, Yam and Ancient Fruit all go into my Kegs and Jars. Making coffee easier to process isn't going to give me that much more "reward" but it'll make the game more fun to play since it's the only crop that's sticks out as being tedious to process.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
                                      • Skinflint

I'm bringing up a broader point than you've deigned to concern yourself with, so my arguments seem misapplied, to you: Coffee's reward of a Speed buff is gated by its high harvest interaction. Cauliflower's price is high and maintenance low but it is slow. These are the variances that distinguish crops for gameplay and their diversity is worth preserving, IMO. I mentioned time control mods because that is the most direct way to both preserve gameplay balance and increase your effective access to coffee (whether you care about Speed or not). Coffee is gated unusually high because its rewards are unusually high.

• Sventex

This is why I want Coffee production changed so that the roasted beans are what is being processed from the coffee berry and sold for profit. That way the Coffee cups aren't a part of it. For one "Coffee" is not even tracked by the game's "Items shipped" despite being the current logical way it's supposed to be sold given how linar the profit curve is. Coffee may offer a powerful speed boost, but it's also sold for cheap at the Saloon so it's not really necessary to make coffee production tedious to balance it.