Stardew 1.4 update is in the works...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lilliput, Dec 15, 2018.

1. musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I don't know how effectively he would be able to respond to fan mail regarding "I have an idea for the update!!" We can make suggestions, but ultimately I suspect there is a manager that says "OK a lot of people are in favor of this happening, what do you think?" to CA. Like, if 50% want more crops or ways to handle those crops he will likely include it because so many people want it. However, it IS all speculation until we find out what he has planned!

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

He definitely knows this site exists... there's a link to it from the Stardew Valley website. However... that reminds me. One of the other things CA said in the blog post is that Stardew Valley is now 'self published'. I suppose that means Chucklefish is no longer the publisher (can that be done so long after launch?) And so maybe having the official community forums hosted by Chucklefish is no longer appropriate. But maybe I've misunderstood what's going on with that.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i don't think there is any need for him to actually respond to it. mostly it is just making him aware that it is something people want by actually mentioning it, going over the posts in the blog only one person even brought up crop stuff so it looks like people don't care about the food aspect of the game(which is a shame, i personally would love more recipes and manufactured foods)

i think in practical terms it means he's the one in charge of handling questions and bugs and customer service and the like, whether or not they wish to keep hosting the forums is dependent of the contract they have with him

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

maybe CA watches this site from time to time, and takes ideas that are doable, and most wanted.... and of course less time consuming ones will get priority
          enough support most likely means it to be considered, we just don't know how yet
          maybe he combines the ones with "we want to make/grow rice and vinegar" with "we want more crops", meaning we first get the rice and vinegar suggestion
          maybe a few crops, and over time more

and that counts for other suggestions, too, of course
          i see a lot of "rice and vinegar obtainable without buying it directly", "more crops" and "more recipes" mostly, so i'm sure he has seen it, at least
          if not, he will in the future
          maybe he wants to add some stuff like cooking skill and such from mods into the vanilla game at one point, who knows?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

maybe but where would he find the time? that is still leaving a LOT up to chance when the odds are super bad X''D

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

Well, I'm not going to email CA or anything like that, because I don't feel like I've got concrete well-polished ideas that are worth explicitly pushing at CA.

But if anyone here happens to post about v1.4 somewhere else that CA is likely to read, perhaps it would be a good idea to link to this thread just to increase the chance of it being seen. That's probably good enough.

• Aexic

Aexic Lucky Number 13

I think opinions are more likely to be heard/read on official board than anywhere else, and since this is SDV publisher's board so just seem like a good place for voicing ideas. :)

But actually just realized this myself while ago, like if there's something we can do about Joja Mart after CC has been restored. There should be a good amount of contents to make good use of the place for whatever purposes that i haven't thought out of yet, and have the employee's jobs back..

Skinflint likes this.
                • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

chucklefish is no longer responsible for sdv

• Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They are still responsible for its mobile ports (iOS and Android).

• Fuzzydog

Fuzzydog Space Spelunker

I love all of these ideas, but what should come first, is fixing some of the major bugs. I tired of not being able to just plain build something.

• Skinflint

Quite agreed: CA said just exactly that in his blog post announcing 1.4, however he explained that because many bugs exist due to code added by the port houses and he cannot be expert in all platforms, those houses must handle many if not most of the bugs, so unless he can intervene directly in a nuts-and-bolts, hands-on way (which, again, is rare because so many bugs depend on port code), his energies can legitimately be directed toward producing new content. Ultimately if a port house is deemed incompetent or unsatisfactory that remains his call to make but switching to someone else would likely be a huge coding trainwreck that disrupts a ton more players than are affected by even quite a lot of bugs. This forum's threads dedicated to each port are where technical problems of this nature belong.

That said, other "bugs" or enhancement requests really are about the way the game works, and those would be likelier to need engagement from CA. Balancing these against his now extremely pressed time versus new content becomes a tough sell pretty fast. I mean, do you e.g. fix the fact that maple trees go bare with snow on them during Winter even in the Greenhouse, a detail few will even encounter, or do you dream up and add something that truly expands the SDV experience for everyone? If I were him, I imagine it would be easy to feel handcuffed by minute details and like you're imprisoned by your own game's creative inspiration, the last thing you want to feel from a project the whole point of which was to exercise your creative freedom, but that can't stop me from personally wishing and hoping for fixes. If everything were absolutely perfect in every way first, he'd probably still be working on 1.0, basically forever, you know? *shrug, sigh*

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
                          Pangaea and BentFX like this.
                        • FireflyofDoom

FireflyofDoom Aquatic Astronaut

I think it would be pretty cool if we had more freedom over how our home is built. In similar fashion to how Skyrim does, where we could have optional rooms to choose from, maybe be given the option to remodel and choose a different house upgrade when we want. Something like that. ^-^;

Kurachi84 and squigglyruth like this.
                          • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

this would be the first thing aside from the (imo) more important changes that keep players playing
                            this house design is dumb, as i can't ever play like i want, without having the cat/dog in the way at night
                            no way to put something next to your bed when married, and using the automate mod, i always have to watch out to not put, for example, the seed makers against the crops chests.... else they'll be seeds again :rofl:

i'd rather see a larger way from living room to kids room, so i can actually put stuff there, without pet and/or spouse standing like a robot who ran out of batteries, while i need to go to my stuff there
                            .... or just a bigger house by removing the kids room, seeing as i never want kids (both reallife and ingame, haha), and even have a mod that removes the question, making it safe to keep clicking after i went to bed (close calls have happened before i had that mod)

i'd LOVE to see a small house editor in the game, so you can make walls and such the way which is comfortable for you, including kitchen being moveable
                            this suggestion gets a 10/10 :D

• LibrarianLirion

LibrarianLirion Space Hobo

I desperately want Shane's after marriage to be less sad.

I'd also like more marriage options, but I'm always that way. I love more options.

• wolfarus

wolfarus Void-Bound Voyager

Some new characters/marriage canidates (if ca wanted to really get creative and dip more into the fantasy realm for these, mentioned some of my idea's in an older thread)

Build up the personality of existing characters w/ more events/random encounters/dialogue

New world area's to explore, and hopefully at least 1 new dungeon w/ new monsters

More items to use for your character (such as armors, shields, weapons ect)

• Darkmega5

Darkmega5 Orbital Explorer

There’s one reasonable thing on my list: ICE CREAM MACHINE!!! By inserting milk and another ingredient, you make flavored ice cream, anytime of the year! I’ll leave it to CA for the means of getting it, and maybe certain flavors have extra buffs. (EX. cave carrot ice cream gives +1 mining.)

Nostariel, Kurachi84 and Skinflint like this.
                                  • Skinflint

Coconut ice cream should also be a thing! Although, because coconuts are free to forage in the Desert, perhaps the properties of their ice cream would have to differ to maintain some game balance aspects CA holds to be important. Cashew ice cream, as well. IRL they are both amazing—IMO (obvs). And while we're on the subject: both for yogurts, also.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

everything is obtainable forever with the greenhouse
                                      ice cream doesn't seem like it should have much healing and buffing, anyway, as it's a snack
                                      heck, pizza doesn't heal much, while it can still fill your stomache

but yeah, i like the idea of ice cream with different flavors

• Skinflint

Once the bus is repaired it'd be open season, potentially well before the greenhouse, though, see. An ice cream machine might either be tougher to get than a mayo machine or require an upgrade to handle coconuts(/cashews), rather than tamper with their availability in the Desert.

Coconut wine sells for more than the majority of others, so I'd be pretty disappointed if adding fruit to it for yogurt were nerfed, be that price or health, particularly when flavoring with costlier fruits; steering clear of nerfing it is another reason to focus on gating, instead, IMO.

Truer to life would be to create a new item, Baby Coconut, since IRL, if I understand correctly, ice creams and yogurts of it are made before the "meat" matures to become fibrous and the "coconutty" flavor becomes overpowering. There are bright green, smooth, and oblong ones (for example, seen in Final Fantasy X), in addition to the dark brown, "hairy", and round ones better known in Western culture (might be different species, I don't know). This would control rarity independently.

Water from inside baby coconuts is a prime hydrator on a par with sports drinks for its electrolytes and tastes fantastic if you get a really good one (brands vary wildly in quality, and it's highly spoilable so you generally only find good ones for high prices, sadly), so Coconut Water could be a legit beverage in-game. As far as I know, both the brown and green types of coconut have delicious water. The brown's "babies" are shorn of their developing shells and sold as white, pointed little pods you hack open with the heel of a butcher's knife or blade of a machete to bend back the top like a dispenser. What little "meat" there is at that stage is, as I said, prized for its mild flavor and smooth texture. Usually it's easiest to scrape out with a spoon. The hulls make excellent compost.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
                                        • SPSS

SPSS Master Chief

I am really excited for the update!