Stardew 1.4 update is in the works...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lilliput, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Antiochus

Antiochus Void-Bound Voyager

Well, Vodka is a distilled spirit. Things from the Keg are fermented.

If a spirit still were added you could do something like this

Any wine --------> Brandy
    Grain Beers -------->Whisky
    Potato/Root Beers -------->Vodka

They could also add more grains to change the way beer works

Barley-------->Beer-------->Single Malt Whisky
    Wheat -------->Weissbier/Witbier/Wheat Beer -------->Wheat Whisky
    Amaranth -------->Amaranth Beer -------->Whisky
    Corn-------->Corn Beer-------->Bourbon Whiskey
    Rice -------->Sake-------->Shochu
    Oats-------->Stout-------->Oat Whisky
    Rye -------->Roggenbier-------->Rye Whisky
    Buckwheat/Millet -------->Gluten Free Beer -------->Whisky
    Sorghum -------->Sorghum Beer-------->Baiju

Or they could all come out as vodka (with the exception of Shochu and Baiju) and then become whisky after spending time in a cask.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

oh golly, i would be just so very pleased to have more things to do with the vanilla produce x_____x you guys are killing me with this, golly

mahoganyrose23 likes this.
      • Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea of growing herbs. Maybe there could be an optional separate herb greenhouse. Basil for pesto springs to mind. Sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, dill, fennel, tarragon, chives (besides wild spring onions), microgreens like pea shoots, sunflower and broccoli sprouts, watercress, arugula… I'd like to grow herbs like lavender, white sage, sweetgrass, and sweet fern then sell both fresh and, later, dried bunches as well as distill essential oils from them and make my own blends for sale.

Spices like turmeric, ginger, liquorice, and galangal roots, clove, long black pepper, fenugreek, ajwain, caraway, cumin, cassia (cinnamon), cardamom, coriander, curry leaf (Murraya korenigii), Thai basil (Tulsi tea)…Teas would be great, too.

More trees: fig, date palm (greenhouse), macadamia (greenhouse), pineapple (grrenhouse), pecan, hazelnut (not just wild nuts off the ground), chestnut, almond, walnut, the aforementioned cassia…

How about carrots and celery? Celery tops IRL are IMO the most flavorful part BTW so I'd like those available for salads. Cucumbers might be greenhoused. A way to sun dry tomatoes, as well as grapes for raisins. How about mining special types of salt and/or getting sea salt from the far beach pools?

On another subject: I personally strongly dislike the idea of adding negatives like disease, disaster, hunger, pollution, etc. Improve things by heathy soil microbes in your pond clarifying water, for example, but don't make it toxic first that you then have to clean up!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
          bunnyoung likes this.
        • squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm loving all the ideas here! Particularly the extra recipes, and the idea of a herb greenhouse and distillery. Those last two might be fun if they were extra areas to unlock - maybe a herb garden space could be made in the fenced-off area next to the community centre after completing a late-game quest for Evelyn? I'm all for extra areas in general - I love the exploring aspect of the game, and the Deepwoods mod is one of my favourite at the moment.

I agree that the game would benefit from more content in Year 3 and beyond. I love the idea of using the Community Centre more. Combine this with @blind3rdeye’s idea of more complex quests, and you have a good way in to a whole new set of fun:

The basic idea would be quests posted on the Community Centre notice board after the centre has been completed. If you have gone the Joja route, you could maybe get similar (but less moral) quests in the mail.

I think it would be nice to get a mix of random quests that take time and advanced resources, for a nice reward, alongside occasional quests to change the game-play with specific characters. The character quests could be similar to the building Pam a house idea. It would be nice if you eventually had a quest for every character. Maybe they would need a minimum heart level to unlock.

An example quest might be:

Looking for somebody to teach me to fight. I need to know you’re the real deal. To prove yourself, leave me the following items in the box in the back room of the tavern: 2 spicy eel, 5 algae soup, and a weapon that you think I could use effectively in the lower levels of the mines. If I’m convinced you know what you're doing, I'll seek you out in the mines and we can take the training from there.

This one would be from Abigail. The reward could be to unlock a mini-game e.g. Abigail comes to the mine entrance two days a week and you can choose to spar with her and train her up.

I think it would be fun to come up with similar ideas for other characters, each unlocking its own mini-game and moving the character on from the base plot.

Any suggestions?

Kurachi84 and musical74 like this.
          • Skinflint

Maybe Abigail could eventually discover something of esoteric interest to her father in the mines and you could be the bridge for them to a reconciled relationship. She hangs out by the tower and I feel so sad for her.

My earlier post in this thread about Alex learning just a little magic to still enjoy the beach via the wizard's tower for that, plus some modest augmentation of his strength in the mines, seems in a similar vein. I would also love to see Alex go vegetarian as a result of interacting with animals on the farm and foods we serve as gifts, since I noticed his meal at the restaurant was steak.

I wish the Campfire you could invite friends over for s'mores or something.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
            • sari90

sari90 Void-Bound Voyager

I want more meats. They can be sold at Pierre's shop. We have fish, but I hate seafood. I want foods my farmer self will enjoy. I'd love to be able to make chicken salad, sesame chicken, hamburger (outside of events), etc.

I would also love to have food recipes where we can make a profit from.

I also want new farm maps.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

the creator already expressed that he wasn't comfortable with doing meat-related stuff so it is doubtful that could happen X''D

scibirg and Skinflint like this.
                • Artos

Artos Master Chief

in the end it will be more hats and another festival :lickitung:

CA should take a look at mods.
                  theres so mucht greate stuff that could be in the game without modding.

bigger world.
                  more interresting spots to explore.

more influence on quality of products.
                  more quality levels.

automatization.
                  more machines.why thers no distillery?

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, i expected that, so didn't reply to it :rofl:
                    i don't like it either, even though i eat meat in reallife.... maybe it was seeing that butcher mod o_O
                    there's a meat planting mod, so it can be peaceful, i guess.... but weird (better than disturbing)

i think that'd be nice, it's just that i think CA wants to make more realistic things, instead of a machine based world
                    that's what we have mods for
                    i guess modders can let their imagination work with the stuff CA doesn't wanna do

maybe if CA would only open the game some, so it's easier to mod it, would be good enough. so more "mod-friendly"
                    more areas to explore would be awesome, that might be my current nr1 suggestion so far
                    ... maybe more spouses, even from another village could be fun

• sari90

sari90 Void-Bound Voyager

Meh, a girl can hope. :rofl:
                      And besides, we have fish, octopus, squid, etc (that's a meat too), and hamburger (at least at a festival), so I have a tiny bit of hope. But if he is super uncomfy with (non-aquatic) animal meat, then that's ok.

My idea was that Pierre could sell the meat. Much like how we can't grow rice, but we can buy it there.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
                      • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Those are Survival Burgers at the fair. (Bread, Cave Carrot, and Eggplant.)
                        From the Survival Burger entry in the wiki - "...It is also cooked by Gus during the Stardew Valley Fair and can be eaten for free."

scibirg likes this.
                        • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

yeah ok, then it's doable, and many recipes can be made
                          although i'm hoping for a way to grow crops for rice and vinegar
                          i looked at the wikipedia page about vinegar, and there's a way to get it without having to buy it
                          not only do we NOT need to buy, so keep more money, but also we can work to get it.... and some reason to get more of it would be nice, like better recipes, with better healing and some buff, at least... i mean, maple bars are very easy to get at one point, and heal for more plus have some buffs
                          maple bar = maple syrup - tappers, sugar - beets (growing + seed maker = endless beets), wheat flower = wheat seeds (also growing + seed maker)
                          and beets and wheat grow real fast (imagine using (deluxe) speed-gro, as normal speed-gro takes 1 day off of them already, plus all fertilizers stay at lest the whole season.... piece of cake)

• Aexic

Aexic Lucky Number 13

I don't mind adding more type of crops and recipes to artisan if they do have more use than just selling for money. But i do like to see more ambitious activities the player can get involve in. Such as building a flying rocket by crafting/finding parts, working mecha like one Maru made with options with combat/farming/foraging companion, maybe find all the wildlifes in new locations and contribute to a new opened zoo nearby, maybe a new observatory with mega telescope that something you can do with collect common and rare constellations through out the years and categorize it to get unique bonuses/gifts unlocks.

If not all, maybe another village the same size as SV but with different activity such as wildlife hunting. Ideas is almost endless.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
                              squigglyruth likes this.
                            • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i know CA's mentioned a lot of QOL updates in the works for 1.4. i think the update will have more content than we realize, so that's gonna be pretty awesome. as for specifics i don't know yet. if there's anything i got to choose it'd be dialogue updates... i would just really love more dialogue, more canon stuff to see! but, i feel like that's not gonna happen. there's a lot there already and gameplay still needs a pretty significant focus

• steverob

steverob Space Hobo

Agree that Apples should definitely be turned into Cider in a keg, not Apple Wine.

• Skinflint

This is probably the type of thing CA means when saying he could probably work on Stardew the rest of his life, but what about a Hollow Knight type of spinoff or add-on where you play the wizard through his earlier life?

• Skinflint

I learned last night that Casks age Starfruit Wine to highest value. If CA adds spices like from my earlier post, how 'bout adding them to make Mulled Cider, or without spices turning it into Apple Cider Vinegar?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

so has anyone actually sent an email or a discus comment to CA to ask for any of this stuff? or is it just hopeful speculation?

• Skinflint

Can we? I wouldn't want to flood CA with fan mail directly to him when he just signed up for self-publishing on 4 more platforms. He checks here when he's interested to take the community's pulse, I presume…? Is there a community manager to collate this stuff for him?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

as far as i know people do it, yeah. i have only read about him reading comments on the official website and on reddit though, nothing at all about if he even knows this site exists X''D