Stardew 1.4 update is in the works...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lilliput, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

https://www.stardewvalley.net/whats-in-store-for-stardew-valley/

According to the latest from CA, he's changed his mind regarding developing new content for the game, and hopes to have a new update in the future-- with the help of a dedicated design team! (Well, for post 1.4 content, he specifies working on the next iteration solo for now.) Hey, all you modders and creative types, you may have a chance to add your talents to the game officially! Meanwhile, the rest of us will speculate (endlessly, knowing this place) on what new content will be added in 1.4!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Barring "adding more possible bachelors/bachelorettes" and "the ability to break up marriages, you homewrecker you" I'm not sure what could be added. Kick Lewis out of being Mayor? Have other people "win" things like the Egg hunt and the fishing contest if the player doesn't? Have a slime family move in and have the residents of Pelican Town treat them warmly? Go on a date with a slime? Have Abby and Penny argue bitterly on whether it's better to be exciting and adventurous or boring and practical? Have Demetrius and Sebastian actually have a decent relationship? Hmmm...

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I'd like to see more businesses move into town. And if he intends something more ambitious, perhaps the PC could purchase/find/create the ingredients to take up a second profession. Jewelry maker? Clothes designer?

Might be nice, too, to see the community center actually good for something after it's put back together.

ChaosAzeroth and musical74 like this.
        • Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it too boring to hope for lots more crops and recipes with ways to utilize particular artisan goods into specific products with more stat significance than just Health and Energy? Like what if you could learn magic from the Wizard and had to level up with special foods and then practicing spells on top of that like in the mines or something?

I also would welcome more sophisticated planting from real life like bioswales to help disperse and retain rainwater, companion planting, more nuanced nutrient profiles than 3 stars that impact their game effects…

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Not at all. As a fan of cooking in the game myself, I'd love to see a bunch of new recipes, not just for the buffs. Always drives me nuts that on the finished recipe tabs, you've got a whole page full of recipes and then there's an entire second page with just lil' ol' crabcakes hangin' out by his lonesome. Come'on, CA, fill that second cooking tab!

Kurachi84 and Skinflint like this.
            • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I'd like to see some of the existing game items just tightened up a bit better. The cooking menu should show how many times you've cooked a dish so you don't have to jump back and forth between the cooking menu and the collections tab when try to finish out the achievement. Also, the crafting menu needs a way to figure out what hasn't been crafted. There's no way to track down minerals or artifacts that might have been found but not donated. There are web apps that will show your progress in those different areas but, especially with the console crowd growing so quickly, it would be nice if it was part of the game.

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I think it's great news that there will be new content in the future. I'm looking forward to it. It really shows that CA is a developer who primarily likes games - as opposed to a developer who primarily likes money.

I'd like more interactions with villagers - more repeatable special events, such as dinner dates; concerts; day-trips to the mines or the desert or the secret forest; stuff like that.

And I'd like some longer randomised mini-quests. The delivery quests on the noticeboard are good little challenges for the first year, but beyond that they're trivially easy and not particularly interesting. I'd like to see quests which take a bit of effort and planning, and have a time-limit of months rather than days. Even if they are still just random delivery style quests, they would still be a bit of fun. For example "deliver 100 rhubarb jelly to the train station by the end of summer". (Heaps of possible random artisan goods with various crops.) Or it could be a bit more special, like "Gus is hosting a special dinner and needs 6 different cooked dishes with egg in them". Stuff like that might be a bit more interesting, but more difficult to generate a lot of variety. In any case, I'd like to see longer little quests like that.

But really, I know that CA's vision and design skills are strong - so I'm interested to see whatever new content is added!

[edit]
                But please fix the fishing + journal exploit.

• Skinflint

I gave Maru everything the Note said she wants for her ultimate invention but she never made it.

I gave the Dwarf milk but they didn't seem to much care, then kept asking like it never happened.

Alex never hangs at the beach now that we're married. If I make the Wizard's tower to head there, I should get to at least invite him with me to some heart events and/or dates where I can serve him special food or something, and if you add magic skills I would love to teach him enough to use the tower himself. He mentions maybe starting to read but never does. Maybe learning magic could be a part of what changes that for him. How come he never works out inside, only outside on rare occasions, now? It would be great to see him strut his stuff in the mines once he's studied up, and we could take down bosses that only spawn if your spouse is with you and ready for fighting. I'd love if we could cannonball, dive, bellyflop, and just jump into The Secret Grove's lake and swim around, float on our backs, etc. Even just a basic picnic where the dance is held would be great. Actually play catch, like, successfully, but without his spewing machismo everywhere about it. I just felt like his wings were clipped by marriage too severely and felt bad for him because of what the game turns his life into. Obviously not mourning for his unrealistic sports dreams, but he has no life anymore outside being adjunct to the player, and that makes me sad.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
                  • Antiochus

Antiochus Void-Bound Voyager

Thing's I'd love to see

Reworked brewing (potato, cave carrot, amaranth, yam beer etc)
                    More foraging options
                    More Artisan Goods (ketchup, aioli, horserhadish garnish, fish sauce, coconut oil, smoked fish etc)
                    Forage dungeon (mines are all about minerals and metal, this could be a forest all about forage ingredients include could crabapples, nuts, wild honey, burdock roots tons of options )
                    Distillery (make whisky, vodka, essential oils and others)
                    Seasonal characters, (some would be marriage options, but they'd only be around in one season so getting those stats up would be tough)
                    Toursist attractions, ski chalet by the mountains, beach resort, forest lodge
                    Tropical farm, available by boat only during the winter, where tropical crops are available (and can be brought to the greenhouse) and tropical fish like Mahi Mahi, wahoo, barramundi

ChaosAzeroth and Iphigenia like this.
                    • Starmi

Starmi Pangalactic Porcupine

I long for the day when Baking is a profession of it's own. lol

SilverTwilight05 likes this.
                      • blind3rdeye

That reminds me... I'd like a few more farm maps (currently we have forest, hills, river, wilderness, and plain). I don't really have any great ideas for what they could be, I'd just like to have more options to try.

• Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Big Damn Hero

Definitely more crops, artisan goods and places!!

And Maybe after several years in the farm, instead of just having to start a new one, you could get invited/have the chance of buying a second farm within the same gameplay, somewhere else. Going with your skills as they are, but getting a farm that has more difficulty (terrain, weather, crop availability), while someone (spouse if you have one?) stays in charge of the main one would be a nice way of renewing things...

Blue_Heron and SilverTwilight05 like this.
                          • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I would welcome the opportunity to be entirely self-sufficient with respect to my cooking. For example, Rice as a crop, and the ability to create Vinegar, probably from Wine being processed in some way.

Socially, I think the community center needs more use after it is finished. It needs to actually be used by the community. Change up daily habits of the townsfolk. Maybe unlock more social quests there, or something. There is so much that can be done here, to show the town revitalizing.

Mechanically, the perks really need a do-over. Most of them just don't... make any sense. I mean, let's go over Foraging, which is one of the most egregious examples. Forester vs Gatherer is the initial choice. One is completely useless, the other is not. I mean, who sells wood? I'm usually buying it in bulk lots of two to three thousand a pop from Robin! And wood isn't a viable sale item, anyway. It sells for 2g, or 3g with this perk. That's abysmal for the amount of stamina you are expending chopping the trees down. But then it gets even worse. While Gatherer has an arguable option between Botanist and Tracker, Forester gets a choice of bad options, Lumberjack and Tapper. Even assuming you aren't on the Forest map with daily regrown stumps for hardwood, you still have the stumps in the Secret Forest that you can chop daily, and Hardwood isn't really commonly used, unless you really go hog-wild on the fencing. So Lumberjack is, in effect, useless. Tapper is also useless. Who actually sells tapped goods? I mean, you either go in for a keg-heavy model, and thus have taps down on your oak trees to produce them, or you just don't bother with tapping much. And syrups only worth 25% more? That's not much. I mean, the most expensive one is Maple Syrup, at 200g, that turns into 250g with this perk. Per week. That's nearly worthless.

Now compare this to the ability to know exactly where every foraged good and every dig spot is, if you are looking to complete your archaeologist challenge, or automatic iridium quality for ALL foraged items, which not only dramatically increases value but also makes it easier to store because you no longer have three or four different quality levels for each foraged item you are wanting to store.

So yea, the perks need to be reworked so you actually HAVE options that you might elect to use at some point, instead of a bunch of obviously useless traps and MAYBE one good option available.

• blind3rdeye

I agree that the forester line of perks are complete garbage... Here's a set of suggestions to improve them:

* Forester: +50% chance of seeds from wild trees

* Tapper: Taps take 25% less time to produce syrups.
                              * Lumberjack: +4 wood from fallen trees.

The way I imagine the suggested forester perk is that it just has a higher chance of seeds falling from a tree when you shake them. I'm not sure if that's consistent with how seeds are produced in wild trees though.

In any case, even with those suggestions I think I'd still choose the gatherer line of perks - but at forester wouldn't be totally useless. In fact, for min-maxers forester would probably be the stronger choice - because it would speed up the production of oak resin.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

"Rice as a crop, and the ability to create Vinegar" yup, was looking for a mod like that, but typing "rice" on nexus SDV section gave 1, which is hidden
                                "Tapper: Taps take 25% less time to produce syrups" i would love it, even though i MIGHT not use it... can change to it for large amount of gold.... maybe lessen it a bit?
                                more maps, more villagers/bachlores+bachlorettes, more crops in general, baking being a profession, making more use (or just making use) of many almost useless items, new cooking recipes, maybe a new village/area to visit and do some sidequests(?) there
                                i'd love these.... i'll still use the mods i use now, but would love to see an option for people to have slower timer, as i got WAY more relaxed (instead of stressed out) once i started to use the timespeed mod

disable, as option, for spouses asking for kids? i never want kids, not the kind of person for it, and in the game they get in the way
                                speaking of which, pet hitbox disabled? they sometimes get in the way of me getting into bed, and it's NO fun to be late when it's getting 2:00 AM

seeds more often on wild trees with gatherer would also be real nice :D

maybe a new forest where there's enemies (no slimes they are weak, must be not weak, but also not too strong), and more stuff to gather and maybe some set machines for new stuff?
                                set machines, so you cannot put them on your farm or anywhere else

a reason to befriend krobus and the dwarf? maybe if you have 6,8 or 10 hearts with those 2, you can enter a new bunch of areas?
                                new dungeon maybe? maybe that new forest having that new dungeon, and can only be opened by befriending krobus and the dwarf (both, yes)

and there's much more CA could do, he's probably happy with suggestions, especially with lots of details

• guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

Upgrade or modifications for machines. I'd love to be able to have more functionality in windmills. Like if they slowly generated batteries. I use a lot of batteries for crystallariums and I'm always stuck without a way to get more batteries. Windmill seems like a logical solution. A battery will be made once a week for example.

More stuff with Marnie, Gus, Willy.

I had a big post a while back about this kind of stuff. https://community.playstarbound.com...-thoughts-and-idea-from-the-last-week.125703/

Once the community center is built, it should be used more. Maybe you have to organize a big party (maybe a New Years party) and now that the community center is built, we need to get a bunch of things for the party.

But a big thing for me is after year 2 content. I have trouble getting past year two on each play through.

• Antiochus

Antiochus Void-Bound Voyager

Here's what I'd like to see for expanded artisan goods

Preserves Jar
                                    Wild Horserhadish ----->Pickled
                                    Leeks ----->Pickled
                                    Dandelion ----->Pickled
                                    Spring Onion ----->Pickled
                                    Morel ----->Pickled
                                    Common Mushroom -----> Pickled
                                    Chanterelle ----->Pickled
                                    Winter Root ----->Pickled
                                    Snow Yam ----->Pickled
                                    Purple Mushroom ----->Pickled
                                    Cave Carrot ----->Pickled

Mayonnaise machine (Remade into Condiment Machine)

Garlic ----->Aioli
                                    Tomato ----->Ketchup
                                    Hot pepper ----->Hot Sauce
                                    Plum ----->Plum Sauce
                                    Any Fish ----->Fish Sauce (May be more appropriate in the preserves jar, keg or even cask)

Loom
                                    Fiber(multiple)----->Linen
                                    Seaweed/Algae/White Algae ----->Sea Linen

Keg
                                    Amaranth ----->Amranth beer
                                    Corn ----->Corn Beer
                                    Rice----->Sake
                                    Sap (multiple) ----->Toddy
                                    Milk ----->Kefir
                                    Dandelion ----->Dandelion Ale
                                    Winter Root -----> Root Ale
                                    Cave Carrot ----->Root Ale
                                    Pumpkin----->Pumpkin Ale
                                    Yam ----->Sweet Potato beer
                                    Snow Yam ----->Sweet Potato beer
                                    Potato ----->Potato Beer
                                    Maple Syrup ----->Maple Wine
                                    Joja Cola ----->Hooch
                                    Sugar ----->Sugar Wine
                                    Parsnip ----->Parsnip Wine
                                    Bread ----->Kvass
                                    Any Wine/Beer----->Vinegar

Oil Maker
                                    Coconut -----> Coconut Oil
                                    Acorns -----> Nut Oil
                                    Pine Cone ----->Nut Oil
                                    Hazelnut----->Nut Oil

Cheese Maker

Any Nuts or seeds ----->Vegan Cheese
                                    Oil ----->Margarine (May be more appropriate in the Condiment maker)

That's just using items already in the game, though I'd love to see Olive or Avocado trees, chocolate, tea, spirits, silk...

Arlem, Kurachi84 and blind3rdeye like this.
                                    • scibirg

scibirg Aquatic Astronaut

Love your ideas! Potato beer should probably be vodka, though.

• Skinflint

The namings could use a serious overhaul for the fine detailing of the results. Strawberry Jam is IRL a whole lot more sensible than jelly, for example. Apple Wine should be Cider. Etc., etc., etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
                                          Cristi likes this.
                                        • godfailure

godfailure Void-Bound Voyager

Just my idea, but hope you enjoy reading:
                                          -Add in pests, and you'll have to use pesticide to make sure the crop doesn't die but it lower the HP and Energy restored.
                                          -Zuzu City could be a place that add more job (Mechanic, Programmer, Shopkeep,...) each with it own minigames.
                                          -A little bit too heavy for a farming sim, but I really want to see the war that Kent fought in, maybe the player get drafted and they have to join the army and they'll can do certain things to avoid that.
                                          -Just me but I find the Cooking mechanic to be a little mundane, maybe we can add a minigame where to have to prepare the ingredient and cook it yourself and how well you cook it determine the amount of HP and Energy it restore and also its sell price.
                                          -Add in a Musican way of making money. You'll have to level up how well you play the instrument, write your own song, keep up with what is popular so more people will like it. You can gradually move from playing music on the street to producing music in a studio in Zuzu city. Also, you can earn friendship points by writing songs about things that the villagers like.
                                          _Ever wondered why the Player never get sick, me too, so maybe we could add in diseases that will reduce your skill level depending on what disease it is, it will get worse if left untreated, also give Harvey a purpose.
                                          _Maybe this sound too survival game-y but add in a Hunger, Thirst and Body Temperature system, Hunger slowly deplete your Energy, Thirst increase the Energy needed to work, and Body Tempature inflict negative debuffs: too hot and you start to lose HP and Energy, too cold and you move slower. All of these could cause diseases if the Player doesn't solve them.
                                          _This add to the last idea but make natural water unclean and add a Water Filtrator (which will lose durability the more you use it) and a Rain Water Collector, both will provide clean water.
                                          -Hunger: the more one type of food you eat the less effective it become, which encourage the Player to cook more.
                                          -Body Temperature: you could make clothes to make you cool or keep you warm.
                                          _Expand the Combat system: add a parry system where more difficult enemies can only be damaged if you dodge or parry their attack, and different enemies will have different pattern, and maybe add mutilple minibosses in the Skull Cavern on random floor (I'm looking at you, Pam).

P.S: I just realize I spent nearly half an hour thinking this up, please send help.

Arlem likes this.