Digital Starboundiness (Various Assorted Starboundy Art)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vurrunna, May 3, 2016.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Well hello there.

I've been artistically reclusive recently--and a bit reclusive in general. Mostly because I haven't had much Starbound stuff to be posting on the forums for a while now.

But! I've been having some ideas for Starbound comic-artsy-doo-dads. So, here they are!

As with all I do, the goal is practice, so these might be low-ish quality or sketches. But hey, sketching is better than not sketching!

-Enjoy-

::: Starboundiness ::::::::::

Starboundiness 001 Display.png

Glitch Farmers.png

Niteni and Natlani.png

Novakid Face Sketches.png
    Avian Hylotl Face Sketches.png
    Floran Face Sketches.png
    Novakid Hylotl Argument.png

The Alkalines.png

Apex.png

::: Redraws ::::::::::

Then:
    Sir Fozzle.jpeg

Now:
    Sir Fozzle 2.0.png

::: Requests ::::::::::

Lamine.png

Cuda.png

DangerSpider.png

::: Non-Starbound Stuffs ::::::::::

Ivory Train.png

Dragon and Tallan.png

New Laurence.png

Laurence and Laura.png Ed and Amelia.png

Jierik and Catherine.png

Genevieve Ecouvoix and Friends.png

Waitin' on inspiration to strike...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Mikhaos

Mikhaos Pangalactic Porcupine

Gazing into the radiant sun, sweat beeding off his brow, the wandering artist is suddenly struck with INSPIRATION! His pen is filled with the mad spirit of untamable imagination, his sketch book set ablaze by his wild passion. Yes...yes, the artist true to his form creates a work so magnificent it rivals even Ludwig von Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in E minor. The shackles of the mind recoil at the presence of such raw artistic expression. Such beauty, such radiance. Truly, this will be the work of an undying artist. *Cough Cough* (At least that's how I imagine it)

Good luck to you good sir. UwU

3. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

It's *attached, but I think it's a great start! Makes me wonder what in the world is gonna happen next...

Mikhaos likes this.
  4. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

ahh i was just wondering when you'd upload more art! ^^
    am ready for the next chapter :1

5. Vurrunna

Yeah, something like that, except then I look at Beethoven and realize I'm a mere peasant before the masters. I've a long ways to go, and everyone can use practice.

Blast my inadequate grammar skills!

Glad to hear you like it! I was bouncing around on how exactly to portray the characters--Niteni is nicer, Rose is more composed, and the strip is too long/constructed for what I had in mind--so this little intro is apt to shift around quite a bit. It was mostly just practice to see if I could manage this more panel-based style (as you'll recall, my previous comics have always been equal-sized rectangles, while this is more like a strip of sorts), and to get the ropes of the characters (1. They morph a bit too much between panels, and 2. I thought up each panel a few seconds before drawing it).

Basically, future strips ought to be higher quality with more forethought put into it.

Well here it is, in all its incomplete glory!

I'll probably work on concept stuff for the characters next, since that's bound to have higher quality than comic sketches. And let me tell ya, there are some fun characters--my plan is to display each race with its adjoining stereotype, though the Floran and Glitch are a bit difficult because of their speech patterns (hissing and declaring emotion both get tedious, especially when writing it in a small comic panel). As you'll notice, Rose just doesn't hiss, and the Glitch will only occasionally declare their emotion, but I have an explanation for both which will be revealed later.

Tatterdemalion and Alkanthe like this.
  6. Vurrunna

Here are a couple Glitch farmers:
    Glitch Farmers.png
    Gyle McKlank: "Proud: The McKlanks have been working these fields for over ten generations. Cross: And I'll be darned if some three-eyed fish are gonna kick us off!"

Sarai McKlank: "Apologetic: Father's been grumpy with the Hylotl ever since they purchased the land we lived on--which he had yet to purchase. Humorous: While it might seem strange to get angry over someone buying the land you trespass on, our family's been trespassing for as long as there've been McKlanks."

The McKlanks have lived in Cogview Valley for over ten generations, possibly even longer; they were reasonably upset when Nitenni, with his strange Floran friend Rosepetal, legally purchased the territory and set up a luxurious manor on the best hillside in the valley (the very hillside that Gyle McKlank, current patron of the McKlanks, was planning to build the new family cottage on).

Despite an agreement between Nitenni and Gyle for the McKlanks to work the valley (now with pay and greater trade capacity), Gyle's always felt cheated by that hillside plot...

The McKlanks are a very large family--Gyle is the patron, and his daughter, Sarai, is both his second-hand and assumed successor as matron.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick sketch of a couple Glitch with some quick brain-storming for background.

7. Vurrunna

Here's one of Niteni, the main character of the little story I have in mind, and Natlani, his oh-so-adventurous elder brother.
    Niteni and Natlani.png
    Niteni: "I've worked long and hard establishing and maintaining colonies, and have finally acquired enough capital to establish a fine homestead of my own with a successful colony sure to follow. And yet I will always live in that half-witted adventurers shadow."

Natlani: "Yeah, me and Nit are real close--he won't admit it because of all his fancy business politics, but he loves when I visit. Plus, we're basically the same guy: we both hang out with a Floran, we both go to new and unexplored worlds, we're both green with three eyes... It's like a mirror image!"

Niteni and Natlani are brothers. Naturally, they don't get along too well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natlani's a bit disproportional and not as detailed in the eyes as Niteni... I'll fix that sometime later.

Their backstory is plot-relevant, so y'all're gonna hafta wait!

rhomboid, Alkanthe and Firepaw Da Cat like this.
  8. Vurrunna

Sheesh, it's been a busy couple weeks; here are some sketches I did the other day.
    Novakid Face Sketches.png
    Avian Hylotl Face Sketches.png
    Floran Face Sketches.png
    Novakid Hylotl Argument.png

Basically, I'm tryin' to get the hang of the various races having various traits; these were all made without any reference to the game (other than distant memories, since I haven't had the luxury to play in a while), so they aren't quite as good as they could have been.

Other than that, it's mostly been school, games, and non-Starbound pictures. If anyone's interested in seeing the other stuff, I'd be willing to post it/provide the appropriate links.

One last thing: if anybody's interested in having me draw up their Starbound character (see the Glitch/Hylotl sketches above for the quality/style), let me know; I'd be more than willing to draw new content than what's in my over-worked brain. Unfortunately, the images will be quite simple (no coloring, not much posing/action), since I do commissions on another website. While I'd be willing to give coloring/posing a shot, it's be a bit unfair to the people that pay money for the same thing.

Okie-doke, that's about it; have a good one!

--Vurrunna

rhomboid, Firepaw Da Cat and Alkanthe like this.
  9. rhomboid

i love hwen you pop in! i want to see non starbound art! can you draw lamine?
    lamine.png

Alkanthe likes this.
  10. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Oh! Can you draw me a Cuda? Please? Also, your sketches look great.
    [​IMG]

11. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

Ooh
    Would you be willing to draw DangerSpider?
    [​IMG]

12. Vurrunna

Thanks! I'm glad y'all like my work.

And here are those pictures:
    Lamine.png
    A likable Lamine.

Cuda.png
    A cautious Cuda.

DangerSpider.png
    A dandy DangerSpider.

I hope these fit your guys's characters well enough. Cuda and DangerSpider were a bit difficult, since I had to translate another style into my own (I've had a lot of practice copying images, so changing them to my own handiwork is sort of an unused skill), but they were still fun, as was Lamine. However, Cuda came out a bit too shaded for whatever reason. Huh.

As for my other work, I just realized I haven't made much personal work recently (everything has been for payin' customers, so I don't think I should go showing off their product without their permission). However, I do have a couple things from a spell back, as well as a watermarked image from a customer who left a stellar review (and thus put his product on my Fiverr page).
    Ivory Train.png
    Ivory, a young and artistically inclined elf, rides away from home to a new life. (It's a big'un.)

Dragon and Tallan.png A Dragon and Tallan, from this oh-so-large universe I got stewin' in mah cranium.

Fiverr's flippin' out right now, but you can check it out in my signature when it's done pooping its pants; I got a few super basic pictures from a while back and a new one that's of some pretty considerable quality.

Okie-doke; y'all have yerselves a good day now.

--Vurrunna

13. rhomboid

frick
    i love it alll
    tytytyyt!

14. Vurrunna

"Do YOU suffer from raiders, thieves, vagabonds, and/or general ragamuffins? If you answered YES to any of these, as well as an any other conceivable problem, than I have a message for you:"
    The Alkalines.png
    "Have no fear, the ALKALINES are here!"

Samuel Alkaline: "Mama always said, 'Son, if ever you gotta shoots a man, dress for the part.' Well, she never said which part, or what dress, but I assume she meant a vest and tie."

Aris Alkaline: "Howdy there! Y'all need an extra pistol? Rifle? Stick'a dynamite? Well, I'm yer gal!"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A couple of snazzy Novas.

15. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Alkalines?
    Alkalines?

Are they by chance related to the Alkanes? Because if not, that's a really funny coincidence, seeing as the Alkanes are Novas too. :p

16. Vurrunna

Well, I'm certain there was some influence there, but they're named after the Alkaline metals (most of my Novakid names come from the periodic table).

Though I didn't know Alkane came from a Novakid family; I suppose you made them before I got on the forums about a year ago. Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing a compare-and-contrast where I redraw my first pictures for Starbound; could be pretty fun.

Alkanthe likes this.
  17. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I don't think you've met Sucrose Alkane, actually... you met Anna back when we called her Alkane, but that isn't her last name. My current username came from Sucrose's mother, Reba. But anyways, a redraw sounds cool and I'd love to see it!

18. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm... A couple of boisterous Novakid twins... I like it.

Alkanthe likes this.
  19. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Sounds familiar.

Tatterdemalion likes this.
  20. Vurrunna

Actually, I think I have seen Sucrose; it was briefly, and I didn't post anything in the thread, but I definitely saw her.

I'm actually undecided on their relations--I'm deciding between siblings, cousins, or in-laws (mostly because that could be a funny idea). Though twins would definitely fit the siblings idea very well...

Anywho. Here are a couple Apex, because Apex deserve attention.
    Apex.png
    Ivan: "I'm here to protect Mr. Potrovsky. You cause problems, you'll regret it."

Zachaius "Zach" Potrovsky: "Curious: I was unaware I was having visitors. Query: Is there something you require?"

Zach is a very strange Apex; half of his face has been replaced with metal, and he speaks almost like a Glitch. However, he seems entirely unaware of anything unusual going on, and acts like any normal person would--well, any normal person with a metal face that states his emotions and uses lots of shmancy fancy words.

Ivan is Zach's personal bodyguard. He doesn't talk much, and when he does, it's usually along the lines of "I'm gonna break your face if you make a ruckus." Zach doesn't see anything odd with having a bodyguard, despite no one else having one.

Both Zach and Ivan are rather mysterious figures in Cogview Valley, having set up a small home in a cave and never really visiting anywhere. On rare occasions, Zach will wander around, with Ivan close behind, and stir up imaginations with his infuriating inability to explain anything about himself.

Example Conversation:
    Question. Why do you have a metal face?
    Answer. Confused: I do not understand.
    Q. Your face. It has metal parts.
    A. Understanding: Ah, I see. Yes, my face is metal.
    Q. Why?
    A. Apologetic: You've lost me again, I'm afraid.
    Q. Oh, for the love of--Why is your face made of metal?! Were you born that way, did you get surgery, are you some kind of experiment?
    A. Flattered: Ah. I understand now. You are trying to compliment me.
    Q. What? No! Answer the dang question!
    A. Flirtatious: Well, let me say that you are looking quite fine, yourself.
    Q. ARGH!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I could open a talk game with that Mr. Potrovsky.

rhomboid, Tatterdemalion and Alkanthe like this.