1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Starbound won't start (Linux 64-bit)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by StumpSV, Feb 7, 2017.

1. StumpSV

StumpSV Void-Bound Voyager

I would appreciate help getting the game to start. Launching the game through steam, or by running run-client.sh in a terminal results in the same log messages (attached).

This is Ubuntu 16.04, 64-bit, fresh install. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. loc978

loc978 Phantasmal Quasar

Same issue. Been playing on various windows systems since the update with no issue other than performance... went back to my linux box and it crashes on startup. Uninstalled and deleted completely after backing up storage, Fresh install, same issue.

system specs: http://i.imgur.com/qQ7GOmo.png

log: http://pastebin.com/Rq7Wgh9X

3. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

I am also getting this (on an Arch Linux x86_64 system). This problem was around the beta as well. It arises from Steam shipping and using its own libraries, to ensure that games will have their minimum dependencies met. The problem is however that those libraries are old and may not play along nicely with the rest of your system. It is a general issue.

Error log:

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197964143035 [API loaded no]
    [Info] Initialized Steam services
    [Info] Application: Creating SDL Window
    [Info] Application: Enabling VSync with late swap tearing
    [Info] Application: Enabling VSync late swap tearing failed, falling back to full VSync
    [Info] Application: Opened default audio device with 44.1khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 1024 sample size buffer
    [Info] OpenGL version: '3.0 Mesa 17.0.1' vendor: 'X.Org' renderer: 'Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.14-1-lts, LLVM 3.9.1)' shader: '1.30'
    [Info] Application: initialization...
    [Info] Root: Loaded Configuration in 0.0397617 seconds
    [Error] Fatal Error: Segfault Encountered!
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10fatalErrorEPKcb+0x43) [0xa2b7b3]
    /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x33a90) [0x7f1b5984aa90]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star9MainMixer4readEPsm+0) [0x13d5c00]
    /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0x1a9a2) [0x7f1b5b5ca9a2]
    /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0x7d43c) [0x7f1b5b62d43c]
    /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0xce8e9) [0x7f1b5b67e8e9]
    /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x72e7) [0x7f1b5a2e12e7]
    /usr/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x3f) [0x7f1b5990354f]
    /home/martin/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux/run-client.sh: line 5: 1286 Aborted (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./" ./starbound "$@"
    Game removed: AppID 211820 "Starbound", ProcID 1286
    No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

The easiest way for the user to fix this is to remove those libraries from the Steam folder. Then Steam will resort to your system libraries and and the game will start. Tada. :)
    Looking at the Steam page on Arch Linux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting), you can easily obtain a bash script for clearing out those troublesome libraries. The script will look into the Steam folder and search and remove them. Be aware that everytime Steam gets updated those libraries tend to get recreated.
    If you want to use a precaution, move them into a temporary folder instead of deleting them. In that way they will be easy to restore, in case you want to immediately revert them (I can add that there shouldn't be any problems since I never had any trouble whatsoever with deleting them).
    I can upload the bash script that I am using for your convenience. Simply run it while Steam is closed and then start Steam again. As always, inspect the script before running it, since running random scripts that you've downloaded online is not always a good idea. :)

I am surprised that Chucklefish hasn't replied to this thread.

Attached Files: