Modding Help Starbound tiled? trying to open a .world file

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by thyerror, Aug 25, 2022.

1. thyerror

thyerror Void-Bound Voyager

I get a "tiled "json parse error" at offset 1 illegal values" when i try. I just want to increase the size of my ship by 2x. (im using byos from fu) By 2x i mean it literally i want to take my ship and resize it like resizing a png. Thank yall.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Moved to Starbound modding for visibility.

3. thyerror

thyerror Void-Bound Voyager

ok thanks (sorry im editing this after, i thought im in starbound modding, forms > starbound > starbound modding> modding help xxxxx)

4. rl.starbound

rl.starbound Phantasmal Quasar

It's been a while since you posted, so I assume you've figured this out by now, but since you never posted a response, I'll post this here for posterity.

The Tiled editor is only for editing the dungeon part JSON files under /dungeons and the tileset JSON files under /tilesets. It is not able to open any other Starbound files. The .world files, including your shipworld, use a custom format called BTreeDB5. There is, unfortunately, no known way to edit this format outside of Starbound. The py-starbound project is able to read the format, but not alter it, and that project hasn't been updated in over 4 years.

I really wish it were possible to safely edit BTreeDB5 files, because Starbound has a bug in which these files grow continuously as long as you're on the world. Something in their code is not properly garbage collecting, so the files eventually become enormous with dead code, and currently the only thing you can do about it is to delete them and allow the game to regenerate them, thereby losing any customizations you had made to the worlds.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022